Jeremy Hunsinger on Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:18:33 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Fwd: Literature Factory invitation (Second Life)

.

Forwarded with permission:)  Please distribute as appropriate. -jh

You are invited to the grand opening of the Literature Factory at Kula 2 (187,7) in Second Life. What is a Literature Factory? Well now, that's a silly question, it's simply a factory that makes literature. According to Wikipedia:

"The term "literature" has different meanings depending on who is using it and in what context. It could be applied broadly to mean any symbolic record, encompassing everything from images and sculptures to letters. In a more narrow sense the term could mean only text composed of letters, or other examples of symbolic written language (Egyptian hieroglyphs, for example). An even more narrow interpretation is that text have a physical form, such as on paper or some other portable form, to the exclusion of inscriptions or digital media."

Well, we certainly meet that criteria, excepting the physical form bit, but we hope you'll appreciate the transgression.

Now, we have things to do and people to see, so we went ahead and automated the factory. The Word-o-Mats runs tirelessly day and night, manufacturing words for the factory, the Bin Bots with them take charge of ferrying the words from the Word-o-Mats to the sorted bins on the other side of the factory. From there other bots build sentences and transfer them into the new works of literature under constant production.

We're celebrating our grand opening Saturday with an open house from 4pm to 6pm SLT so drop in to the Literature Factory at Kula 2 (189,9,25).
--
Blog: http://channel3b.wordpress.com
Second Life Name: Ciemaar Flintoff

jeremy hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research, School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (www.cipr.uwm.edu)

wiki.tmttlt.com
www.tmttlt.com

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments
http://www.stswiki.org/ sts wiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/ Learning Inquiry-the journal
http://transdisciplinarystudies.tmttlt.com/ Transdisciplinary Studies:the book series