Brian Holmes via nettime-l on Fri, 19 Apr 2024 17:28:44 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Swipe, a Smart Phone Movie by Mieke Gerritzen/Next Nature

Michael Benson wrote:

"And how could it be Other, Nature I mean, when we are so utterly reliant on
the ecosystem that produced us? Isn't it just another peak in the mountain
range of our collective anthropocentric arrogance (I don't mean this
personally Brian) to continue with such an insistence?"

Michael, your post could not be called a screed because it has way too many
registers: playful, satirical, mocking, philosophical, dismayed and
wonderstruck - you composed a new genre!

I gather that you, too, must be a Lynn Margulis fan - I'm trying to find
Demodex folliculorum in Kingdoms & Domains, but it doesn't seem to be in
there. However, it may be clouding my vision...

Evolution is a beautiful drama, the reality behind it has a 3.8 billion
year run (puts any Broadway show to shame), and it sure is a pity to see
humans engaging in so much necrotrophy toward their endless millions of
ecto- and endo-symbiotic partners. Just like Demodex folliculorum, we could
be mellow (as in melodrama) and get along discreetly on the face of Gaia,
but instead we're ruining its complexion, as Margulis's friend Lovelock
pointed out some time ago. When I say we must compose with Nature, it just
means learn to get along like commensal symbionts do, happily eating each
other's byproducts. On this you and I would likely agree - but the question
of the Other is more vexing.

I reckon that not just language, but especially inscription has created the
big difference of humanity. Biosemiotics is going to find more and more
language in other species: it's idiotic and counter-intuitive to present
animals as deterministic machines bereft of thought, the way a whole range
of arrogant anthropocentrists has done. But when language starts to pile up
as writing, then the other thing that animals do - use tools - starts
accumulating and complexifying through comparison and analysis, something
called techno-logos emerges, and before you know it, you get scanning
electron microscopes and GIS-guided JDAM munitions, all together in the
weird cacophony that Peter Lamborn Wilson used to call "too late
capitalism." The means to admire evolution and the means to destroy it.

In short, my assertion that nature is an Other doesn't cancel out either
the reality of a microbiome with which we have already evolutionarily
composed, or the macro-perspective that John Hopkins takes on humanity as a
mote in deep time. Instead I'm just focusing on the meso-dramatic moment of
arrogance that's really ruining the holobiont these days. How not to be
parasitic to the point of necrotrophy? It's pretty certain that as a
technologically amplified species we can engage in a version of ecological
overshoot and wreck our planetary niche; but it's still uncertain whether
we can choose not to.

Recently I read an article in the Anthropocene Review that really blew my
mind. It takes off from Lovelock's notion that Gaia exists as a
superorganismic entity in which the teleconnection and effective
coordination of all the parts manifests as a living, self-regulating whole.
But the author asks: Is there any other such superorganismic entity? And he
finds another one right here on Earth:

"Humankind is differentiated not into numerous species and physical
processes (like Gaia) but into a myriad of cultures, languages, religions,
economic systems, technologies, and ways of living and interacting with
each other and the more-than-human world. These diverse modes can be said
to integrate with varying degrees of success into higher-level
“physiology”-like organizations—certainly on local scales such as
communities and cities as well as on the meso-level scale of nation-states
and religions, but also, arguably, on a planetary scale in an initial
dynamic coherence that approximates a global physiology, that is
globalization. This human global physiology could, at least theoretically,
be one that maintains its coherence through time. Just as Gaia possesses
differentiated cycles and systems (e.g. heat, chemical, gaseous,
ecosystemic, population-level biological) that interlock and maintain
global homeostasis in the face of changing conditions (e.g. the gradual
intensification of heat from the sun), globalized humanity develops
comparably global, differentiated, and interrelated feedback cycles and
systems of its own. Resource distribution through governmental and
intergovernmental bodies, circulation of goods and services through global
trade and finance, and knowledge gathering and exchange through
intercultural relationships (not to mention the waves of affect, narrative,
and metaphor traveling between cultures) could conceivably allow a
planetary humanity to develop its own versions of homeostasis in response
to global perturbations."
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/20530196221087789

All this culminates in the wonderful notion that humanity is or could be a
"child of Gaia," another superorganismic entity of planetary scale, now
reaching the age of adulthood and learning (or failing) to negotiate its
relation to its parent (learning or failing to "compose," in the word I
borrowed from Bruno Latour). Alas, a decent melodrama is looking ever less
likely at this chaotic moment. But the Nanocosmos is still worth exploring.
Because it's not all about language. Images matter.

best to all, Brian