mp via nettime-l on Fri, 19 Apr 2024 10:38:47 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Swipe, a Smart Phone Movie by Mieke Gerritzen/Next Nature

On 4/19/24 05:24, John Hopkins via nettime-l wrote:
Look, if you are getting into permaculture, don't burn books, at least compost/bury them. It's easy and aside from giving worms intellectual indigestion, it is a far better alternative than burning.

You need to see what, if anything, rises from the ashes. It's a metaphor.

Speaking of which: I want to disown the idea of a spectrum from nature to culture. Instead I think there are simply dimensions. Nature is one space. Alphabet another. Cyberspace a third. And so on. Each a chance to rearrange the neurological architecture and perceive reality in different ways.

Striving for any or either of them to be the dominant is silly.

There are some somewhat related nice stories about that in Paul Feyerabend's Philosophy of Nature, as there is in Gosden's archaeological work on magic.

Magic/myth, religion/philosophy, science are three different modes of engaging with the world.