podinski via nettime-l on Tue, 27 Feb 2024 19:00:52 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Nettime Listening Post

Hi Christian x2, and all,

Thanks for reply...

Difficult to respond adequately right now.  A bit chaotic atm !

There's many intimidation factors that could probably need illuminating.

I am generally skeptical about all cybernetic petri dishes, even if it's
of our own making, which is anyway, NOT likely an accurate way of
describing whatver we build on cables + infrastructures + chips that we
do not own !

Our Xlterrestrials group has often seen - from our alien perspectives
over the last couple decades - that the whole range of
techno-evangelists to cyberpunks + cypherpunks to the Open Knowledge
types to Cyborg Manifestoans to the Declerators of Cyber
(neo-)Libertarian Independence thought that they were all creating a
"liberatory space".. And one can - and probably should - argue that they
ALL very poorly read the Systems of Techno-colonial Control that would
be coming down the pipe... and sadly STILL dont see what CANnibal soups
we're in !

And that is not to say we shouldnt continue to fight in this arena ! ...
but...

Intimidation - in part - comes from the fact that we cannot really even
imagine what the next perpetrating vulture capital plans will come with
their dirty krapitalist hands on all this BIG DATA SPILL and
FRENZY-FREE-FOR-ALL  ( well not really all, just all oligarchs ? )

But there are other intimidations, which i dont have time to try and
flesh out too much of that now...

They might relate to things like, why so little gender diversity
participates in nettime discussions, and that really should be better
understood to help make this a functioning platform for meaningful
discussions.

Another thing which Christian P. adds is also really interesting...

Hmm, Being able to self-publsih in such a way that it will NOT be in the
archive COULD be useful to some.

But not sure those kind of technical fixes will alleviate the fears that
could exist for any seriously engaged thinker or activist living in
various authoritarian regimes.

Currently, i am curious to go back and research the Twitter
problems/details that came about for people who were organizing during
Arab Spring, cause an article right no that warns people in the newer
Instagram era could be very important. And about the newer styles of
repression ( like in DE, which relates to the powers and strings of
state + inst. funds ). Not to be a fearmonger, but just to encourage
some caution.

Btw, Does anyone know a good article about that?

And another Intimidation species, which C.P. also mentions, the time factor.

If one wades into something that is a hotly debated topic...

one has to take a lot of time to articulate AND defend against all the
"attacks" that may come.

Things havent been all that adversarial here these days... it seems.

BUT w/ several thousand people, one never knows what might happen, which
is again why i advocate for the possibility of participating in some
kind of collective organism mode. A bit of a shield.

And these kinds of things may be in the minds of lurkers who may have
never posted at all.

which is very unfortunate when it comes to certain issues where
SOLIDARITY in NUMBERS is crucial to overcome the noise ( or the silence ).

quik messy sketches...

all for now,

p.