Christian Swertz via nettime-l on Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:47:50 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Nettime Listening Post

Hello,

thanks for your posting and the nice images you painted with your words. I really enjoyed reading them.

I would like to ask one question about this one:

One thing that is missing from David's recap was an aspect raised about
the intimidation factors ( also related to the Silence themes of late ),

Do you assume that the nettime-l archive is an intimidation factor and thus prohibits people to post unusual or provocative ideas since they could be attacked for that later with reference to the archive? As far as I see, this cannot be denied. Even if the archive itself is certainly not the crucial problem (all subscribers get all the mails anyway), this could be the expression of a larger social problem. And I fully agree that this problem is obviously connected to power dynamics.

Can we assume that all media are some sort of laboratories were people are sitting in Petri-dishes (I really like your image of media as Petri-dishes!)? If so, we also have to assume that the laboratories were created by people. In this situation, we can not avoid sitting in a laboratory - but we do not have to sit in other peoples Petri-dishes - we can create our own ones. The disadvantage certainly is that we have to blame ourselves for the food we get. But we might create a better filling of the Petri-dish - or even a new laboratory. Im thus curious to get to know your ideas about improving our little laboratory here (or about creating alternatives one - I actually love to move between laboratories. Would you share your toughts with us?

--
Liebe Grüße,

Christian Swertz
http://www.swertz.at