Allan Siegel via nettime-l on Sat, 16 Dec 2023 10:46:52 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> the silence on the rising fascism

*the Banality of Evil Redux*
Thank you Podinski and your XLterrestrials for reminding us of the deafening sounds of silence emanating from so-called pillars of democracy; in the most outspoken bastions of ‘brand democracy’ what we are hearing and seeing is a blatant and insidious suppression of those voices articulating the strategic intentions underlying the genocidal campaign being waged against the Palestinian people by the Government of Israel.

A highly orchestrated campaign of  suppression is not solely directed at those who voice their opposition but is also being done in coordination with a massive propaganda apparatus spreading an avalanche of lies and misinformation resulting in not just the censorship of information but also the thwarting of the most basic journalistic practices and the delimiting of public discourse.

Masha Gessen placed in historical context the de facto liquidation of Gaza as similar to the destruction of Jewish ghettos during WWII. Further to the point we see the wholesale demonisation of the Palestinian people being shouted-out by Israeli leaders in the press and on social media and in a manner abhorrently similar to the tactics of Joseph Goebbels. Perhaps, as Gessen indicates these comparisons are not just coincidental.

How ironic that the enabler of the Israeli onslaught happens to be the United States government and that German institutions and politicians are being morally fenced in by their own historical realities and unable to publicly express coherent circumspect narratives in order to navigate the  current landscape of genocide. How deeply troubling is the fact that Gessen herself was unable to receive in Germany the Hannah Arendt Award being presented by a German Foundation and that, many tears previously, it was Arendt herself who was denounced by Israeli politicians for her book The Banality Of Evil. History repeats itself in new guises, refurbished slogans and newly minted uniforms.

There have been some very dramatic and courageous expressions of solidarity with the Palestinian Resistance globally but what is indeed the canary in the coal mine is the manner which that solidarity is being squashed and disfigured in the supposed heartland of Western democracies and the ringleader in this enterprise: the U.S. government. The slogan being shouted and brandished to neutralise and eradicate any criticism of Israel’s murderous campaign, and Zionism, is the necessity to fight antisemitism; meanwhile, gleefully, Israel’s leaders simultaneously condone the most despicable racist slogans directed against Palestinians; in practice this translates as antisemitism is bad but racism is ok. The contradictions embedded in this ideological framework are consistent with any colonial project and especially, at this historical moment, with the Zionist project that underscores the genocidal war being aged in Gaza.

What becomes clearer, as new pieces of information and more in-depth analyses of the events of surrounding October 7th become evident, is that the self-serving narratives promoting Israel as ‘a Jewish state’ and ‘the only democracy in the Middle East’ are riddled with fabrications and falsehoods. The implications of Israel as a Zionist project, first and foremost, is now being brought into focus. At the tragic expense of thousands of innocent lives. The ramifications of this murderous war will endure for many, many years.

best

allan