dd--- via nettime-l on Sat, 28 Oct 2023 12:23:49 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> nettime 1999 on the kosovo war

Blast! Zap! Pow! From the PAST!!
Dear Vesna!! Thomas!
Yes, the glory days, of spreading the word about ZaMir and Eric Bachman and Vam Kat https://web.wamkat.de/wam-kat-interview, and the many charismatic souls at B92, and many other great underground media in Sarajevo and elsewhere too! I googled, and found this link https://scene-books.com/items/63366665f5197352b832dfa3 to sept 95 publication, a Japanese monthly special on "tactical media" in europe, and the internet. You can see photos of early berlin meetings towards the formation of nettime, or of Heath Bunting hacking public phone networks in London, or from a rave I attended in Split with Benjamin Perasovic, on the way to Mostar. An early essay against the "415" SF centralization of internet power. I remember taking copies of this magazine, with some equipment/supplies, on my way to ex-Yugo, and attending a party in Amsterdam for War Child, and saw things like Brian Eno dancing to Sikter, but apparently declining Enes' pleas to produce them.
Our friends in ex-Yugo, (Vesna!!) their practices, seemed so heroic when "The Internet" was a new coinage. It was great to publish so widely, to make good noise. The internet, the store-and-forward networks, were undoubtedly helpful for some, for coordination and logistical help under war conditions. We, out there with our cameras, our microphones, our pencils, certainly believed we were helping. Ex-yugo refugees learned from my byline to contact me to help them get lawyers and such for visa appeals within Japan. In tokyo we raised food and blankets and money to send to organizations in Kosovo. We were told our cases of Japanese "sea chicken" (whitefish in vegetable oil) tins were quite popular! You go out and you "uncover" and report and you return and write and edit and post and publish and broadcast but then you hear that the person you wrote about is gone, and you return and can only give a copy of the interview to their widow and it triggers a very particular sense of worthlessness. Reinforcing these informal networks is good. As always, we need to be sure that we're not there to give them a ride, but to help them source their own ammunition!
Peace!!
David