Thomas Gramstad via nettime-l on Sat, 30 Sep 2023 23:20:57 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> FWD: The Copy Far "AI" license (fwd)

Forwarding response from Edward Welbourne.

Thomas Gramstad

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:22:07 +0000
From: Edward Welbourne <eddy@chaos.org.uk>
Subject: Re: FWD: The Copy Far "AI" license (fwd)

One thing I find deeply disturbing, as "AI" gets more nearly convincing,
is the utter lack of licenses in which any thought is given to the
freedoms of *the AI* itself.  Sooner or later someone will produce
artificial sentience and its legal status shall be that of slavery,
unless folk writing licenses for "Free" AI software start writing the
freedoms of the AI itself into their licenses.

We may be some way from having "AI" that is actually capable of
exercising those freedoms, but I don't believe we'll see artificial
sentience until we design systems with the intent to make them capable
of doing so; and the licenses under which we publish them are the one
sure mechanism for ensuring they *have* the right to do so, once they do
develop the ability and thereby earn that right.

	Eddy.