Ted Byfield via Nettime-tmp on Sat, 27 May 2023 17:21:23 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> process reporting?

Hi, all —

First: MANY thanks to Kein for many years of supporting the list (as well as such else besides), and apologies for the shorthand description of the conceptual and technical problems surrounding this list. Personally, I like to keep expressions like thanks and apologies as clear as possible — unencumbered with "ifs" or "ands," and not bundled together — but that didn't happen in this case. Nettime, and many other projects, have always depended on the non-obvious care and long-term commitment of people like Florian; those efforts should be acknowledged as such. Maybe putting it personally is best: it's a very rare privilege — really one of the great rewards of my life — to have worked with people like Felix and Florian over such a sustained period. That's better.

It's important to note that Felix and I decided to move the nettime-l not just for "technical" (or, as Florian rightly says, *conceptual*) reasons related to mail delivery. Over the years, nettime — which includes several lists, domains, etc — has had many homes, *all* of them thanks to the generosity of others, always on the basis of personal friendships. So handing this list over to others isn't just technical or conceptual, it's above all *social*. Felix and I believe that whoever takes over the list should bring their own infrastructure, for a number of reasons.

At a minimum, the list will be stronger when everyone involved in supporting it, visibly and invisibly, has made that commitment in an active and coordinated way. But, more maximally, I think it's clear that the list needs some kind of renewal — more expansive thinking about ways to include new contexts, make it more responsive, find new urgencies. There's a good chance that more expansive  ideas about nettime will need more than just reliable mailing-list support.

All this noise about DNS, Google, Mailman configs, etc matters; but it's also a sign that the days of open, unmoderated mailing lists are coming to an end. So: whither nettime?

As Felix noted, we don't really have a positive "process" for this, and we don't need one, imo. What we do have — I hope — is the collective trust, accrued over 25 years, that we'll handle this transition as well as we can, as we always have. But, really, the focus shouldn't be on us or our non/process, it should be on YOU ALL.

Here's the challenge: If you care about nettime(-l?) and want it to continue, you should think of it as an active project, not as a passive service. Talk amongst yourselves and come up with ideas that *you* can and will make happen. Not the quasi-monarchic "let's do X" or "we should do Y," which invariably mean someone else will be doing the doing. I mean something that you and a team of others will commit to supporting, nurturing, and imaging in the long term.

It seems inevitable that someone will ask well, what about Menno's proposal? I'd prefer that Felix and I don't critique proposals in public, but in this case it seems like an exception is OK. As I said several says ago, I *know* "that two of the people named for a moderation team never agreed to any such thing." I don't want to elevate that to the level of some ad-hoc principle, but it seems reasonable to say that *voluntelling* unwitting third parties isn't, let's say, a "best practice."

But let's shift the focus from what shouldn't be to what *could* be.

Cheers,
Ted

#  more info: https://mail.ljudmila.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/nettime-tmp