Geoffrey Goodell on Sun, 14 May 2023 15:05:48 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> New proposal

Hello Menno and all,

Agree with Menno's proposal -- we should support it.  INC sounds like a
fantastic host.  It is wonderful to see so much enthusiasm and capacity to keep
this project going.  I also offer my support as well and am happy to help
Menno, Geert, and Florian however possible.

To be clear, continuing nettime is important not only because of the value of
continuing this community.  It is important for building resilience: a bulwark
against a world of platform services run by powerful data brokers, the world of
proprietary apps that supplant freedom in favour of control, the world of feeds
that aim to curate our world, the world of mobile devices that buttress an
expectation that we must always be online and interruptible.  The earlier
proposals geared toward transforming nettime into something like that are truly
heartbreaking.

Thankfully we have decisively stepped away from that precipice.  But what we
must do now is follow through.  Will Felix and Ted work with us to hand over
the keys (list membership, archives, configuration settings, DNS records, and
so on) to some responsible successors.

Menno, please let us know if this new team has any difficulty engaging with
Felix and Ted to make this happen, please keep us posted, and please let us
know if we can help.

With gratitude --

Geoff