Arthur Bueno on Thu, 14 Oct 1999 01:10:37 +0200

Syndicate: Subject: LEONARDO AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE

From: Leonardo <isast@sfsu.edu>
Subject: LEONARDO AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE

THE LEONARDO AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE

The Leonardo Award for Excellence is presented to Hubert

Duprat and Christian Besson for their innovative article on

the manufacturing of jeweler casing using the larvae of the

Aquatic caddis larva.  By removing the cadddis fly larvae

from their natural habitat and providing them with precious

materials, the artist prompts the larvae to manufacture

cases that resemble jeweler's creations.

The Leonardo Award for Excellence recognizes excellence in

an article published in the journal Leonardo. Excellence is

defined as originality, rigor of thought, clarity of

expression and effective presentation. The Leonardo Award

for Excellence was originally established by chemist and

inventor Myron Coler and publisher Robert Maxwell.

Leonardo/ISAST has continued the tradition.

Recipients include Rudolf Arnheim, Otto Piene, Charles

Ames, Frieda Stahl, Donna Cox, George Gessert, Janet Saad-

Cook, Alvin Curran and Karen O'Rourke.

For more information about the Leonardo Awards Program,

contact Leonardo/ISAST At the address below.

>Leonardo/ISAST serves the international art community by
>providing a channel of communication for artists and others interested in
>the arts, with an emphasis on artists who use science and developing
>technologies in their work. Our activities include:
>*publication of the art, science and technology journal Leonardo and the
>Leonardo Music Journal
>*a Book Series
>*an electronic journal newsletter, Leonardo Electronic Almanac
><http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-journals/LEA/>
>*a World Wide Web Site, Leonardo On-Line
><http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-journals/Leonardo/home.html>
>All of these are published by The MIT Press.
>Our sister organization in France, the Association Leonardo publishes the
>Observatoire Leonardo Web Site. Our other activities include an awards
>program and. . ..
>
>Leonardo/ISAST 425 Market Street, 2nd Floor San Francisco, CA 94105 U.S.A.
>Tel: 415-405-6988 Fax: 415-405-7758 Email: isast@sfsu.edu

Editorial Department
LEONARDO
425 Market St. 2nd Floor