Andreas Broeckmann on Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:33:11 +0100

Syndicate: Center for Metamedia-Plasy: Fairy-Tal

Date: Mon Aug 30 09:53:47 1999
From: "Center for Metamedia" <hermit@iol.cz>

Fairy-Tale
International Symposium
September 1 to 30, 1999

Curated by Denise Carvalho
Organized jointly with the Center for Metamedia-Plasy

"Fairy-Tale" is an international symposium of visual artists addressing
forms of narrative both conditioned by and distinct from contemporary
communications technologies.
The symposium will be held at the Center for Metamedia/Hermit
Foundation, an international, interdisciplinary cultural center located in
Plasy, Czech Republic. The Centers programs provide artists and scholars of
all disciplines with a setting at the Plasy Monastery for experimentation,
the creation of new work, research, meetings, as well as opportunities for
open dialogue and new forms of collaboration. The Center enjoys the support
of the Institute for Historic Monuments-Plzen, the Czech Ministry of
Culture, Res Artis, the town of Plasy, the Prins Bernhard Fund, and The
Soros
Foundations.
An international selection of artists, each combining various media
through a multidisciplinary practice, will meet at the Center, during
the month of September, to examine and explore their relation to (and
understanding of) contemporary narrative structures in the visual arts.
Conjoining one of the oldest forms of narrative - the fairy tale - with the
current and historical contexts of western Bohemia, the symposium will
investigate the idea of the real as we assimilate it through various
sources of information, addressing the narratives that construct a reality
and simultaneously mediate its apprehension.
During their residency at the Center, the artists will develop works
addressing this theme within a collaborative environment encouraging the
exchange of ideas across cultural and disciplinary boundaries. Informal
exchange among the artists will be fostered by the setting at the Center
where the artists and organizers share their living and work spaces.
More formal occasion for exchange will be provided during public forums
organized throughout the month, such as round-table discussions and studio
visits. The works will provide the material basis on which these forums will
refer and elaborate. In addition, a web site will be created prior to the
residencies to initiate a dialogue between the artists participating in the
symposium. This web site will provide both a message board facilitating the
exchange of ideas between the artists prior to their residency at the
Center, as well as an archive of texts, images, and other material serving
to document both the development of the symposium as well as the event
itself. A catalogue will be produced documenting the development of the
artists projects at the Center and will incorporate critical and
theoretical texts elaborating on the concept of the fairy tale.
About the website
The website would provide a vehicle for a series of conversations
between participating artists, curators, critics and others through its
online message board and virtual reading room. This ongoing forum would
address contemporary forms of narrative with regard to the cultural,
historical, theoretical and technological contexts through which they
signify. The virtual reading room becomes a searchable archive for texts and
images referenced by postings to the message board. Participants would
receive daily updates of postings to the server's message board via e-mail.
In addition to facilitating a series of dialogues between the
participants prior to their residency at the Center, the site would also
provide the opportunity to broadcast via the internet performances and panel
discussions held at the Center during the residency.
Finally, a catalogue would be produced from a combination of postings
made to message board material deposited in the archive, and documentation
of symposium's activities.
About the curator and the artists
For several years, Denise Carvalho has been a contributing writer and critic
for
magazines such as Flash Art, Review, New Observations, Sculpture, and
Cover. Her career as an art critic began as an existential twist from her
own
art. After many years as an experimental painter, she started to work with
ideas, and the writing on other artists' works was a continuation
of this process.
The artists selected to participate from the United States are: Michel
Gerard, Alex Villar, Alison Cornyn, Mark Shepard, Abdelali Dahrouch,Jacques
Roch and Tony Roch, Barbara Broughel, Erwin Redl, Dan Devine, Michael
Crackford, Stephanie Syjuco. The
artists participating from abroad are Mare Tralla (Estonia), Monika
Brandmeier (Germany), Redas Dirzys (Lithuania), Martin Zet (Czech Republic),
Charlie Citron (Holland), Toshihiro Yashiro (Japan), Janos Sugár(Hungary),
Yuri Lederman(Russia). In
addition, the artists will have the opportunity to collaborate with others
currently in residence at the Center.The unexpected interventions,
contingency and different contumecious evets are included in the framework
of the
symposium.

Denise Carvalho, Milos Vojtechovsky, Jo Williams.

Hermit
Spolecnost pratel umeni Plasy / Centrum pro Metamedia
Society of Friends of Art-Plasy / Center for Metamedia
Klaster, PO Box 25, 331 01  Plasy, Czech Republic
tel/fax: 420 (0)182 32 29 09
e-mail: hermit@iol.cz
http://www.hermit.cz

carv@worldnet.att.net>