Inke Arns on Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:48:47 +0200

Syndicate: Reader October 1999

Dear friends,

the editorial work on the Syndicate reader 1999 is just about to start...
and this is a call for *participation*. After having edited the first three
readers in 1996, 1997 (with Andreas) and 1998, I suggest that we form a
group of editors for the next reader. Some people (Calin, Lisa, Andreas..)
already suggested they would be interested in collaborating.

Some technical information: The *printing* of the reader will be financed
by the ZKM ("NetCondition"/"NetLounge"). 1000 copies will be printed (it is
still not clear *how* the reader will be produced -- Walter suggested the
possibility of using a "printing-on-demand" machine which would print and
bind little hardcover books).

During our mini-Syndicate meeting ;-) on 18 July in Berlin together with
Andreas Broeckmann, Walter van der Crujsen, Tim Druckrey, Geert Lovink, Edi
Muka and Alexej Shulgin we decided that the Syndicate reader should be
ready for the opening of the "After the Wall" exhibition in Stockholm (15
October). This gives us time until mid/end September for selecting,
editing, proof reading, designing the contents.

Some information for those who are interested in working on the Syndicate
reader: it is a real "hunters and gatherers'" job.

In the first phase ("hunting") we should scan the archives; think about
what has been happening on the list since September/October 1998; recall
and suggest texts & articles that we (you, others) found interesting and/or
that sparked discussions; and look for thematic threads. To prevent
freestyle brainstorming  I suggest that we re-open the Syndicate mail archive.

In the second phase ("gathering") we should try to group the texts into
thematic threads or chapters. Eventually we could also send a call for more
content on the list. Up to now I can imagine possible chapters like
"war/FRY/Kosovo/NATO", "moral responsibility", "period after", and more
usual threads like "conferences/papers", "reports", "projects" etc. But
perhaps we can find *new* categories altogether ...

When I spoke to Lisa Haskel yesterday, she suggested that the "silence" on
the Syndicate list was/is as important as the "texts". So, one option then
would be to treat silence as text... we should discuss these things. I
don't know if blank pages are a good solution. Any ideas? Does somebody
feel tempted to jump into the discussion?

After the "hunting" and the "gathering" phase we will have to do the
editing, proof-reading, and decide e.g. if there should be pictures in the
Syndicate reader (I'd love to have a few!). It would also be good to
discuss whether we should stick to the "no-design", "e-mail format" policy,
or whether we want some basic design. Do we keep the yellow cover? :-) (for
me this is out of question). And for the printing... more as it comes.

Oh, and I suggest we do the online version parallel to the printing of the
reader. I could prepare the web version (basically a table of contents with
links to the archive) on my website, and Arthur could then copy everything
to the Syndicate website on the V2 server. By the way, all the previous
Syndicate readers (1996, 1997 and 1998) are online at the Syndicate website
<http://www.v2.nl/syndicate>.

Looking forward to expressions of interest,
best wishes,
Inke

49.(0)30.3136678 | inke@berlin.snafu.de | http://www.v2.nl/~arns/
mikro: http://www.mikro.org | Syndicate: http://www.v2.nl/syndicate