Technologies To The People on Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:18:53 +0200

Syndicate: Technologies To The People Info dept.

The World Association of Newspapers (WAN) is calling for
nominations for its
2000 Golden Pen of Freedom. The annual award is presented "in
recognition of
the outstanding action, in writing or deed, of an individual, a
group or an
institution in the cause of press freedom." The 1999 winner is
Iranian
journalist Faraj Sarkuhi, who now lives in exile in Germany after
being
released from prison in 1998. The rules for the nominations for
the Golden
Pen state that freedom of the press should be "taken in the
general sense of
freedom of expression" but also stipulate that the action in
favour of press
freedom for which the award is made must have been undertaken for
"the
benefit of all and not for the sole benefit of a person who would
later
refuse this same freedom to the expression of opinions different
from his
own." Please send all nominations to the WAN Secretariat by 23
August 1999
supported by the fullest possible details and documentation.
Address them to
Anne-Marie Stott, Policy Advisor at WAN, 25, rue d'Astorg, 75008
Paris,
France; Tel: +33 1 47 42 85 00; Fax: +33 1 47 42 49 48; E-mail:
a.stott@wan.asso.fr. For further information, visit WAN's website
at
http://www.wan-press.org.

Tim Fuell
PO Box 114, Uxbridge
Middlesex, UB10 9UJ, England
Tel: 0709 121 4576
Fax: 08700 882013
Tim.Fuell@journalist.co.uk

1999 DANCE TRAVEL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM The Association of
Performing Arts Presenters has announced the availability of funds for
the Dance Travel Assistance Program. Through this program performing
arts presenters may apply to the association for grants to help
support travel to see performances and residencies of dance troupes,
with an emphasis on single-choreographer contemporary companies. The
program is designed to allow presenters to travel to any location to
see US-based companies for the first time, or to see repertory not
previous viewed. The program is open to all non-profit presenting
organizations with a history of dance presenting in the two seasons
prior to the one in which the application is being made. Travis
assistance will generally be for no more than $750 and awards will
generally not exceed 75% of total travel costs. If you would like to
apply for such funds, please contact: Association of Performing Arts
Presenters, 1112 16th Street NW Suite 400, Washington DC 20036

US STUDENT PROGRAM GRANTS Available for graduate study,
research and independent work abroad. Full Grants, Travel Grants and
Foreign and Private Grants are available. Applicants in the creative
and performing arts can apply for graduate study or, if no longer in
school, as cat-large applicants.d Grants are awarded to the best
qualified students regardless of degree level. In addition, 5
fellowships from different countries are available only to visual
artists. For more information, please contact: Fulbright US Student
Program, US Student Program Division, Institute of International
Education, 809 United Nations Plaza, New York NY 10017 OR 212-984-5330
OR http://www.iie.or/fulbright

1999 ARTIST-IN-RESIDENCE PROGRAM All living accommodations,
meals and work/performance space provided for visual, literary, folk
and performing artists at greatly reduced fees. For further
information and application, please contact: Artist-in-Residence
Program, Kalani Honua Inc, RR2 Box 4500, Pahoa HI 96778 OR
808-965-7828

This is a call for papers. I'm editing a new journal for Sage Publications,
called Television & New Media. Its focus is textual analysis, political
economy, cultural history, policy advocacy, and audience ethonography--a
television studies/cultural studies/media studies approach to the subject.
The first issue will be out in March 2000. Associate editors are Herman
Gray, John Hartley, and Lynn Spigel.

The average issue of T&NM will include an 'In Focus' segment for papers
that can loosely be grouped together, as well as two segments designed for
a rapid response to new policy, textual, and other matters (an 'Editorial'
and a 'Prime Time' section) where the editor and other scholars will engage
with critical issues of the day. In addition, each issue will feature book
reviews. The overall shape is:

a) Editorial
b) In Focus
c) Book Reviews
d) Prime Time

There will be some theme issues (the past, present, and future of studying
TV; digitalisation; active audiences; cable and satellite issues; pedagogy;
interdisciplinary matters; globalisation; race, gender, class, and nation).

We want papers in English, using Harvard-style reference, submitted with
three hard copies and an IBM-compatible disk. No electronic submission,
though email inquiries are welcome. For 'In Focus,' papers may be up to
8000 words. For 'Prime Time,' they should be no longer than 25000 words.

The address for submissions follows my signature.

Cheers

Toby

Toby Miller
Department of Cinema Studies
New York University
721 Broadway, Room 600
NY NY 10003

Email: <toby.miller@nyu.edu>
Ph: (212) 9981614
Fax: (212) 9954061

The Yamagata International Documentary Film Festival is pleased to
announce that the

YIDFF DOCUMENTARY DATABASE

is now available on the YIDFF web site at:

http://www.city.yamagata.yamagata.jp/yidff/en/home.html

The database is currently composed of over 300 documentary works from all
over the globe submitted to the YIDFF '97, and includes synopses, staff
information, technical details, and contact addresses for each entry.
Films only appear in the database if the person submitting the work gave
such permission on the entry form.  We plan to add more films from YIDFF
'99 (taking place this October 19-25 in Yamagata, Japan) in due time. It
is our hope that this database will assist a wide variety of individuals
and organizations studying, producing, and programming documentary cinema.

The database is searchable on-line, although searches are currently
limited only to the title, director's name, country, and keyword for the
synopsis field.

When visiting the database, please also check out information on this
year's festival as well as the other features of the site, including the
full text of our journal, DOCUMENTARY BOX.

Aaron Gerow
YIDFF
Editor, Documentary Box

I stumbled upon the YIDFF DOCUMENTARY DATABASE before this public
announcement and have already had occassion to use it. For anyone
programming documentary, it promises to be a fantastic resource. Figuring
out sources is always an enormous hassle. And this one even has
cut-and-paste-able synopses to pillage. Check it out:

http://www.city.yamagata.yamagata.jp/yidff/en/home.html

The Sixth Australian International Documentary Conference:
Critical Perspectives

November 2-6, 1999, Hilton Hotel, Adelaide, Australia

The Sixth Australian International Documentary Conference will bring
together academics, practitioners, and industry leaders from Australia and
around the world for a series of lectures, seminars, workshops, and events
focussing on the documentary.  This year, the Conference highlights three
critical strands affecting contemporary societies and us as documentary
viewers and practitioners: Globalization; Ethics; and Future Directions of
the documentary form.  Papers are invited on range of subjects, including
but not limited to:

=85 ethical issues pertaining to documentary
=85 the audiences for documentary
=85 documentary rhetorics
=85 global trends in production and broadcasting
=85 distribution - mainstream and alternative markets
=85 indigenous forms and practices
=85 cross-cultural approaches to documentary
=85 ethnography - concepts and developments
=85 biographical documentaries
=85 documentary representation of specific communities
=85 changing boundaries between drama and documentary
=85 politics of interventionist documentary
=85 future developments

You will need to submit the following:
1) a 250 word proposal
2) your email address or alternative contact details and any institutional
affiliation

For more information please visit our website at http://www.aidc.on.net

Or e-mail Julia.Erhart@flinders.edu.au, Mike.Walsh@flinders.edu.au, or
Alison.Wotherspoon@flinders.edu.au