McKenzie Wark on Sat, 19 Jun 1999 02:57:16 +1000 (EST)

Re: Syndicate: moral responsibility

Interesting question. But consider: if there is no
collective responsibility, there is no collective
identity either. If you want to make the statement
"I belong to X", surely one has to take some
responsibility for X. One is, after all, claiming to
be a part of it.

Sure, one can renounce any part in responsibility,
but then one is no longer a Serb, an Australian, etc.

This is the debate that's going on in Australia now:
can we accept responsibility for a genocide that
started 200 years ago? If not, then who are we? How
can we claim the good parts -- this old and venerable
democracy, one of the oldest in the world -- without
also its crimes?