Slobodan Markovic on Wed, 26 May 1999 01:22:00 +0200

Syndicate: My Goodness...

    This is something I really cannot understand...

    Is this a paradigm of the official Western sense of justice and humanity?

    I have seen all kinds of hate speeches, ethnic hatreds and revenge vows,
    in the past trouble years on Balkans, but this level of hypocrisy is
    strange even for me...

    TRANSCRIPT OF NATO BACKGROUNDER
    GIVEN BY MR JAMIE SHEA
    IN BRUSSELS ON TUESDAY, 25 MAY 1999

    <snip>

    QUESTION:
    Could you explain the new NATO strategy to attack Belgrade because the
    civilian population doesn't have water, doesn't have electricity?

    JAMIE SHEA:
    Let me make this clear. What we are doing is we are attacking the
    military facilities of Belgrade. That electricity, those facilities,
    drive the military machine of Milosevic, that is why they are a target.
    Milosevic has plenty of back-up generators, he has lots, he has got
    hundreds. It is up to him, it is up to him to decide if he wants to
    use those generators for his hospitals and his schools, or his
    educational establishments - although they seem to all be closed - or
    whether he wants to use them to keep his military machine running. If
    that is a headache for him, good, I am not going to apologise for that,
    we want him to have those kind of headaches.

    QUESTION:
    Inaudible.

    JAMIE SHEA:
    Let me make one thing clear. The Serb population is experiencing
    inconvenience as a result of this, but the Kosovar Albanian population
    is experiencing massive suffering. Would you rather be, if I can put it
    this way, a baby born in a hospital in Belgrade under difficult
    circumstances, but still be born in a hospital, or one of the hundreds
    of babies born in fields or in refugee camps in Kosovo and elsewhere
    with no hospital, no electricity, no water, no lights, no doctors,
    nothing? So I still don't believe that we are talking about
    proportionality here at all.

    <snip>

    I used to think that "Beavis and Butthead" are only a good joke, but
    it turned out to be that "Beavis and Butthead"-like guys are the key
    players defending the fundamental values of Western democracies!

    Gosh...

    Greetings from Belgrade,

            Slobodan Markovic   | http://solair.eunet.yu/~twiddle
            Internodium Project | http://www.internodium.org.yu