iliyana nedkova on Wed, 26 May 1999 00:29:55 +0000

Syndicate: VR on TOUR | ICA-SOFIA revisited

dear syndicalists from near and a far,

just to keep you abreast with a new round of VR-related talks hosted by
ICA-SOFIA. after our joint VR talk with mickela sonola [uk]in late
february, it is now anneke pettican [uk] and a bit later amos taylor
[uk/fin] starring on their way to or back from the communication front
event in plovdiv/BG.

hoping to have a tiny VR reunion after anneke's talk this friday in sofia.
do consider joining us in a less virtual way.

cheers,
-il

SERIES of VIRTUAL REVOLUTIONS-related TALKS at ICA-SOFIA

guest presentation by: Anneke PETTICAN [UK], VR artist
moderated by: Iliyana NEDKOVA [Bg/UK], VR curator

venue: ICA-SOFIA
address: 28, Chataldja str, SOFIA 1504
how to get there tips:
off Dondukov Blvd & Byalo More str, close by ISUL Hospital
contacts: [t:46 64 33][ica-sofia@bitex.com] [www.bar.bg/ica]
date: Friday, 28 MAY 1999
time: 6 pm - 8 pm

The guest presentation is courtesy of ICA-SOFIA. Anneke PETTICAN [UK] guest
visit is kindly facilitated by ART TODAY Foundation/Plovdiv, EN-Forms
Vision Foundation/Sofia and supported by North West Arts Board/Manchester.

Join us at ICA-SOFIA to test the creative potential of internet artmaking &
[trans]local collaborations. Do check out VIRTUAL REVOLUTIONS [VR] on
www.yourserver.co.uk/vr to brush up your background understanding of VR.
Anneke will be giving brief and informal presentation of her recent and
current research projects COUNTERMARK & BIOMETRICS while showing some
videoworks. Anneke will be giving another talk within the COMMUNICATION
FRONT event, running from 1 - 20 June 1999 at the CENTRE for CONTEMPORARY
ARTS [former TURKISH BATHS], 6th September Blvd. N169, Plovdiv/BG.

scheduled for Tuesday, 22 June 1999 from 6 - 8 p.m. It is by Amos TAYLOR
[UK/Fin], VR artist. More details and invite will follow soon. First in the
VR series at ICA-SOFIA was the joint guest presentation by Mickela SONOLA
[UK], VR writer & Iliyana NEDKOVA [BG/UK], VR Curator delivered on Tuesday,
February 23 1999.
notes on Anneke PETTICAN [UK] and her talk

Anneke PETTICAN [UK] [anneke.pettican@good.co.uk]
Anneke is an artist based in Manchester. She has exhibited widely across
the U.K. in both gallery and unusual public spaces. She has been awarded a
number of artist in residencies both in the UK and Europe [Spain, Germany
and Luxembourg].
Her work explores the experience of living in cities and how that experience
is affected by developing technology and architectural design. Consumerism,
surveillance, terrorism and modifications in footwear have all played a
part in recent installations and interventions.

Currently, Anneke is exploring the evolution of interfaces within the city and
their effects on ordinary citizens.'I see my role as a flaneusse,
documenting, recording, analysing and commenting on the events and places I
observe.'

COUNTERMARK
was conceived by artists Anneke PETTICAN [UK]  and Kerri MOOGAN [UK]. On
the 15th June1996 Manchester's shopping centre became the target for the
largest ever bomb to explode on mainland Britain. Left by the IRA in the
shopping
district where the two artists had been filming, the event provoked a
shift in their project [research into shopping for a new installation] from
which Countermark emerged. A countermark is an additional mark put on
goods for extra security.

BIOMETRICS
research project by Anneke PETTICAN [UK]
'I am currently researching points where bodies, architecture and interfaces
meet. I would like to think about the implications of this within Bulgaria.
In April 1999 I travelled to Swindon, England to see IriScan, the biometric
scheme being piloted by the Nationwide Building Society in conjunction with
Sensar. Biometrics is the process of collecting, processing and storing
details of a person's physical characteristics for the purpose of
identification and authentication. It is reported that biometrics has the
capacity to accurately and intimately identify the target subject'

iliyana nedkova         |   t r a n s l o c a l   p r o j e c t s
normally at FACT on      |   www.fact.co.uk   [FACT, liverpool/uk]
currently in sofia/bg on  |   t: +359 2 378100 & f: +359 2 9360988
always on                  |   e: vr@fact.co.uk
v i r t u a l revolutions   |   www.yourserver.co.uk/vr