Oleg Kireev on Mon, 24 May 1999 09:12:48 +0400 (MSD)

Syndicate: a concrete proposal

Hello,

i came home after a great eastern-european trip, which only started in
Budapest, i downloaded all the multiple messages on my computer and saw just
a very few ones discussing the Budapest conference. seems like we could be
more reflexive about these rare and important meetings. my own short note is
that the list became much more certain about its main topics, and the
politics became the first of them. remember the Skopje meeting, it was very
different. the war forced us to speak about politics, to deal with politics
and to make politics ourselves. i didn't anymore expect Arthur Bueno to ask
someone, whether his theme relates to the new media; the new media showed
they relate to politics.

i made a proposal for a concrete anti-war action in Budapest, i'd like to
repeat it now. such  action is simple, it doesn't require a lot of work, it
might be bright and effective. it's against the every country's
participation in the war, so the aim is concrete as well; if we find a
primary consensus about this, why not to cooperate tactically and to see
what can be done at all?

1) the idea is: to make a sound piece composed of the explosions, air sirens
etc. + the voice saying on the local language: "Russia (Holland, Germany,
Hungary...) must keep out of the war!" it can be done with an ordinary
recorder or special CDs.

2) the sound piece should be turned on as an announcement at the central
railroad stations in different cities. they use to announce different things
about the people who are getting lost, how to meet etc. the station employee
can be against your idea, so my advice is to have some sort of an official
paper with, maybe a fake one. many people can listen to such an
announcement, and it's a good media news to to do it in one day all across
the Europe (or the world?), at the symbolical places which provide a
connection between countries.

3) there's a plenty of things to be done with the soundtrack later, for
example, the Polish friends told they will intervene the official airwaves
with it, and we in Moscow (Anti-war campaign) plan to enexpectedly turn the
dynamics on in the crowded streets and squares. but this first step will
show if we can do anything at all at the moment.

4) and, last, we have to clarify a theoretical problem: the action has been
devised when the bombings started. the war continues, the people die, but
it's no hot topic of the day anymore, it's not "trendy". the official press
sets an agenda for a discussion, and our way is to set an alternative
discussion with its own agenda.

finally, we can do a lot of exciting Syndicate reports this day! and to make
a CD with the whole collection of international soundpieces. the people from
Warsaw, Kiyev, Belorussia, Sochi, Romania, Novi Sad, Netherlads have already
agreed to take part. i post this message to some other lists and the
"mailradek" subscribers as well now. let's e-mail each other, and i'll make
a small tactical list for the participants, for not to overburden lists with
technical problems.

O.K.