Andreas Broeckmann on Thu, 20 May 1999 19:16:56 +0100

Syndicate: [mistakes, apologies]

*********** BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE  ***********

(CNN Exclusive News Report, May 12) A student representative in Cheng-Du,
the provincial capital of Sichuan province in China, apologized today to
the United States government. A group of students  surrounded the U.S.
Consulate in Cheng-Du yesterday and almost set it on fire.  The student
said, "We are deeply sorry and regret for what  happened."  According to
him, the students were participating in a large-scale city environmental
cleaning campaign and wanted to burn  some garbage. They MISTAKENLY set the
consulate on flame  because of wrong information. According to a 1972 city
map, the place where currently the U.S. consulate resides was a vast city
waste dumping site.  He explained in his speech, "This incident was
entirely caused by outdated  information and terribly executed operations.
Please, please believe us that we absolutely had no intention to burn the
CONSULATE. We would love to see an improved and more meaningful U.S. -
China relationship."  But he also stressed, "The city environmental
campaign must be carried out  thoroughly. We will do all we can to avoid
such incidents from happening  again. We deeply regret  for any damages."
And he confessed in the end, "This was a TRAGIC  MISTAKE."