Andreas Broeckmann on Mon, 10 May 1999 17:16:51 +0100

Syndicate: NetAid, 15 May 99, press releas

PRESS RELEASE

FreeB92 - presents NetAid

Global 24-Hour Peace Netcast in aid of Radio B92,
Yugoslavia

15 May 99

When reality fails us, we move to the virtual world.
But pain is real and it stays with us.

A few hours before the beginning of NATO air strikes
on Yugoslavia, Serbian government shut down the
independent Radio B92 from Belgrade. A few days later
it was completely taken over by the
government-appointed new management on grounds of an
illegal court verdict reinforced by brutal police
force. No B92 staff agreed to ally with the new
management.

For 10 years Radio B92 has been the vital voice of
opposition in Serbia. By using the common language of
advanced popular music and culture along with
professional journalism, it stood against ethnic
hatred, violence and war. We have promoted human
rights, freedom of expression and speech, respect of
minorities and differences. We have played house,
techno, drum'n'bass, jazz, hip hop, alternative rock.
For our continuous struggle and  commitment, we have
won world-wide acclaim, including MTV's Free Your Mind
award in November 1998.

On 15 May, Radio B92 will have a 24-hour internet
broadcast - NetAid - dedicated to the 10th anniversary
of Radio B92 with participation of numerous artists
from all over the world (see list bellow), HelpB92
group (Amsterdam), friends of B92, and technical
support of Kunstradio (Vienna) and Radio Qualia
(Australia). The broadcast will take place at 'Free
B92' web site, with the basic idea to show solidarity
and support B92 team which continue to keep the faith
and defend the free spirit of B92 in spite of war,
government repression and the latest ban on the radio
station.

Free B92 is a website founded by the Help B92
coalition. Free B92 website is made and maintained by
the crew of journalists and associates of B92 projects
that are currently situated in different parts of the
world. Free B92 will primarily focus on the status of
independent media in Yugoslavia, providing
information on that situation to the international
audience, along with diferrent art or music actions,
like NetAid.

NetAid will take place at the following URL:

www.freeb92.net

as well as at:

www.helpb92.xs4all.nl.
www.b92.net

The artistic concept behind this project is to unite
different musicians, artists, producers and DJs around
the struggle for the freedom of expression. Get
together in the virtual world as creation is the only
possible answer to destruction. This event is
announcing the age when artists will be able to react
to the horrors of our time directly from their
studios, bedrooms or clubs. The message is out there
for the world to listen.

Join in Radio B92's 24-hour global music peace
netcast. Play a song or DJ live in our designated
studio (in Vienna), dedicate a track or a DJ mix, or
simply send a message to voice your opposition to the
use of violence as a means to solve political
problems. Join to send a birthday card for banned
Radio B92's 10th anniversary!

CDs, MDs, DATs and other music materials for this
event can be sent to:

ORF - KUNSTRADIO
ATTN. NET-AID
ARGENTINIER STR. 30A
A-1040 WIEN
AUSTRIA
(Please, enclose a short biography/info)

Voice mailbox for birthday greetings and messages of
support: +31 20 4216439

For further information please contact Gordan or Sonja

of the FreeB92 team:

Gordan Paunovic <stupido64@yahoo.com>
Tel. +431 504 3110

Technical support (FTP, encoding) -
Adam Hyde (Radio Qualia) <adam@va.com.au>

Artists confirmed for 15 May NetAid so far:

DJ John Acquaviva (Definitive/Plus 8) Canada
DJ Miles Holloway (Paper Recordings) England
Disko B family (Hell, Naughty etc) Germany
DJ Charlie Hall (Vic Music) England
DJ Fred Giteau (ex-POF Records) France
DJ Mark Allen (Quirk) London
DJ Blim (Emotif) England
Davide Squillace (Cloned Vinyl) Italy
Amptek (Eclectic) Italy

Sonic Youth, USA
Mike Watt (ex-Minutemen, ex-Firehose) USA
EC8RO (Digital Hardcore Recordings) Germany
Syd Griffin (Cole Porters, ex-Long Ryders) USA
Boiled In Lead, USA (Balkan-music influenced band)
Anastasia, Macedonia (see OST for "Before The Rain")
Comma, USA
Big Sky, USA

Xchange network live stream

Live stream from Belgrade:

DJ Vlada Janjic (B92)
DJ Boza Podunavac (B92)
Teenage Techno Punks

B92 birthday concert (Belgrade):
Darkwood Dub
Kanda Kodza i Nebojsa
Neocekivana sila...
Jarboli

Other Voices (Echoes From a War Zone), sound piece
Gordan Paunovic (B92) Kunstradio production

and many more.

Vienna on-site line-up will be confirmed soon. Some
parts of NetAid will be broadcast on FM4 (Vienna).
Check our home page for more details soon.

NetAid events will be organized every month until B92
is back on air. Stay net-tuned!

Keep the faith!

FreeB92 team.

===