Marion von Osten on Thu, 6 May 1999 22:17:47 +0200

Syndicate: Project_Connections_Italy

Dear Syndicates,

First of all I am very sorry that I couldn't come to Budapest, because I
had to leave for Italy. In somehow out of the same reasons (are there
others these days?) to discuss how we can stop this war, and second how we
can help our friends, who are out or still in Ex-Yugoslavia. In Italy there
were hugh manifestations against the Nato and the war. In Rome there were
200.000 people on the street demonstrating, and also in Milano many people
showed there disagreement with Natopolitics.

In Zurich it is still much more quite, even that there was a 1st of May
demonstration where some left groups made the war to the crucial point of
their manifesto. In the last four weeks we had a lot of meetings and
discussions, concerning the war. (which were organized by NGOs,
Arbeiterhilfswerk, the Medienhilfe Ex-Yugoslawien, k3000 and the autonomous
left scene)  Some projects came out, till now. I will not report
everything, but most of the projects focus on the time after the war, to
develop strategies to help the democrative movement and the independent
media to survive, to come together, to publish and last but not least to
help people to connect themselves.
 The Medienhilfe Ex-Jugoslawien is very active, as you might know,  (please
have a look on their Website
www.medienhilfe.ch),  we from k3000 are planning in collobaration with them
a helpsite for journalists of the independent media in Ex-Yugoslavia , who
are still in the camps or in different exile-countries. The Labor k3000
itself is starting an inforcafe for albanian and serbian jounalists and
others from the democrative movements, who are already placed in
Switzerland till end of May. I think there are a lot of coincendents with
some of your activities out there, and may be it would be good to connect
and coordinate them.

But my intention to write this message has a  specific reason. People in
Italy, a group called Oreste, were very interested in all activities
concerning the war, which are concrete projects. This group from the
cultural field in Milano, already started to develop a project with
Albanians before the war time. (Uman Tunnel, see: www.undo.net/oreste) The
Oreste Group this year has been invited to the Venice Biennale- As they
invited me, to present MoneyNations and my friend Peter Spillmann to
present k3000, we suggested, instead of inviting us as singular persons,
that it might be better to find a way to use the Bienale for our political
aims. We proposed that it could be helpful these days for all projects that
are around from Amsterdam/Rottedam, Budapest, Skopje, Albania a.s.o., wich
have a a specific, political, social or discursive aim against the
Natobombing and the Kosova Crisis, to have the possibility to meet on the
Bienale, middle/end of July and to use it for a Manifestation.
First of all, I think  it would be good to discuss this proposal.

Second: it would be very helpful for the Oreste people and their discussion
with the Biennale Comossion that they would get all the proposals of help-
artistic and mediaprojects initiated allover concernig the war. Sure, we
definetly do not know yet, if this will work out, but anyway, we can try to
use this event. Please inform others that they should send their project
description of anti-war and helpprojects to Oreste: personally to
Giancarlo Norese <paperopolis@iol.it>,  Cesare Pietroiusti
<cmp@shareware.it> and to Marion Baruch <marion@logic.it>

Yours Marion von Osten

 information and archive: http://www.v2.nl/syndicate/