ichael . benson on Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:33:40 +0000

Syndicate: Open response to Vesna Novakovic and Slobodan Markovi

Dear Vesna and Slobodan:

Thank you for your private responses to my last posting, and Vesna
for your no doubt well-meaning forward, the text by Richard Burns
which allegedly "explains a lot." What it actually explains, and very
well, is the inability by Burns, and by extension yourself, to
understand that fascism must always be met by firm and resolute
opposition -- and military opposition when necessary. If ever there
was a lesson of the 20th century, that is it. My personal view is
that it was necessary as far back as Vukovar, and that all the
suffering and horror caused by Milosevic Serbia could have been
avoided if NATO had acted earlier. Yes, Yugoslavia is a "sovereign
state", just as Nazi Germany was a sovereign state deserving of
defeat, condemnation, censure, and exposure of its crimes. (Though,
incidentally, even this "sovereign state" business is interesting,
given that the FR of Yugoslavia includes Montenegro and yes, Kosovo
-- the former increasingly disgusted and distancing itself from the
fatal, genocidal behavior of the Milosevic regime; the latter its
direct victim. Which leaves Serbia, only one component part of a
sovereign state, and not recognized as a sovereign state in the world
community. This very same Milosovic-Serbia's hubris and stupidity
from the  beginning of the Milosevic regime in 1987 was to assume
that IT WAS AND IS Yugoslavia -- with the right to rule ALL the
republics and territories of Yugoslavia. No wonder, then, that the
other republics of the former Yugoslavia, after long negotiations and
attempts to save that union, which after all had had its benefits,
had no choice but to head for the exits. *Despite* the JNA's
overwhelming military superiority at the time.)

Slobodan, you said (and I don't feel that it's a sin to quote your
private e-mail here, since I'm sure your would post the same position
openly to syndicate): "Most western politicians really do not
understand Balkan conflicts and mentalities. If they knew, they
would never use NATO force in such a sensitive conflict, like the
one we have on Kosovo. It's like pouring gasoline on open fire."

Well, apart from the fact that most western politicians, or most
politicians in general, don't much understand anything other than
their own standing, I simply don't buy this argument. (And when
they finally, finally get it through their thick heads that they
simply have no choice but to act -- unbelievable though it may sound,
given years of shameful inaction -- I say MORE POWER TO THEM.) The
oft-repeated mythology of the endless fog-shrouded complexity of the
Balkans, the allegedly "spontaneous" eruption of primitive Balkan
peasant passions, like sweat on the collective brow of Serbs, Croats,
Bosniaks and Kosovars, something they "can't help", is not only
racist, it's a smoke-screen which for a decade now has served Serbia
well in its campaigns to grab land and evict other nationalities from
that land. We heard Karadzic and Mladic mouthing it, we heard Serbian
state TV mouthing it, and we heard spineless western politicians,
their eye on the polls, mouthing it, and in a very relieved way --
because it excused their inaction. "You will never understand the
Balkans", they said, "It's a result of centuries of strife, hatred,
etc." Just look, in fact, at who it is mouthing that particular
mythology and it gives a very good indication of how accurate it
is. How complex, how "sensitive", is a land grab coupled by heavy
artillery firing at near point-blank range into civilian settlements?
How inexplicable, how brow-furrowing, is the reactions of a Serbian
population scared witless by a powerful state-controlled mass media,
which ceaselessly repeats that the neighbors are going to come and
kill you -- unless you kill them first? How complex and difficult to
understand are Arkan and his White Eagles, now committing mass
murder yet again, in Kosovo? Slobodan, your arguments, and Richard
Burns arguments, and by extension Vesna's arguments, would leave NO
RESPONSE while hundreds of thousands of Albanians are herded from
their homes and expelled, or executed.

I suggest that you think hard about your position now. It may well
come back to haunt you. I assume that you are thoughtful and
intelligent people. I hope I am wrong about what I'm about to say,
and it makes me sick to say it, but I am very much afraid that at
this very moment, during these days right now, Kosovar Albanian men
between the ages of about 15 and 60 are being executed in their
thousands. I very much hope I'm wrong. But the indications are
extremely ominous. Why are they being separated out and taken away
in trucks? Or is this all hyper-sophisticated KLA propaganda,
somehow inserted, under these conditions, into the mouths of the
thousands of refugees with the same story who actually made it out?
Or is it some kind of NATO propaganda -- are all those reporters
interviewing the Albanian refugees NATO agents? I would suggest that
anyone with those views has been exposed for too long to TV Serbia. I
would suggest that anyone with those views also believes that the
executions at Srebrenica were a fabrication.

No, all those fig leaves about international law and alleged power
grabs by the West (as though the West wants this disaster on its
hands, or to be involved in the problems of the region -- witness
years of western inaction in Bosnia) -- all that rhetoric against
action by the West would excuse and promote NO RESPONSE to this
disgusting mass murder and open crime. How can you speak seriously
about international law when mass executions are taking place?
Should they somehow be protected by international law? By that logic,
the Jews of Germany could have, and in fact *should have been*
executed WITHOUT any international intervention -- that is, if only
Hitler hadn't invaded any sovereign countries. Under this view, the
legality of the Allied fight against Hitler is only confirmed by
their declaration of war following the invasion of Poland. (And let's
not mention here the Western appeasement that allowed him to gobble
up Czechoslovakia.) And again, see my note above about the legality
of *Serbian* Yugoslavia -- "Serboslavia" to some -- as a sovereign
nation in the first place, given the professed neutrality of
Montenegro, not to mention the secession of Kosovo. And speaking of
the latter, there is much that needs to be said about the legality,
or rather blatant illegality, of the removal of Kosovar and
Vojvodinian autonomy by Milosevic Serbia within the old Yugoslav
system. And another point: who was it who agreed that
Serbia-Montenegro could continue to call itself "Yugoslavia" after
the majority of that country left? I don't remember such an
agreement. Did Serbia own that name? It's not an accident that the
vote of the Yugoslav chair at the UN has been suspended, and the old
Yugoslav flag flies in front of that building.

I'm sorry, you can frame it as you like, and you can advance whatever
arguments against stopping these crimes you want; they will still be
arguments against stopping, or at least trying to stop, these
shocking and unspeakably disgusting crimes. If a woman is being raped
at the point of a knife in an alleyway, is it not the responsibility
of anyone who still considers themselves a human being to intervene?
And if that "person" is the best armed military alliance in the
history of the world, is it not a crime NOT to intervene? (I for one
still can't get over my disgust that NATO simply sat there for years
while Sarajevo was methodically shelled from the hills all around.)

A final point I'd like to make here -- one that you rarely hear.
Serbian crimes started with the most basic one: theft. Theft, in
fact, of the very weapon necessary to commit more and greater
crimes -- crimes that shame all humanity.The reason that Milosevic
Serbia could spill so much blood, and have such a disproportionate
impact on the Balkans, not to mention European late 20th century
history, is because Serbia STOLE the army, which had been built up
over five decades by ALL of Yugoslavia. The JNA was not built just
Serbia, which has never had, and continues to not have, the economic
power to create such a huge and powerful force. The Yugoslav GDP used
to be about two-thirds Slovenia and Croatia, with one third
contributed by the rest of the republics combined. The army was built
out of that money to defend old Yugoslavia from external invasion,
was not (needless to say) ever intended to be directed at the various
nationalities of the former Yugoslavia, and was paid for directly
through the sacrifice and labor and living standards of ALL
Yugoslavs. That's what the Serbs stole. I ask: by what right? The
Serbs have been wielding a war machine that they didn't even pay
for; they stole it. And what appears to be happening now is that
those weapons are being destroyed. Too bad, I say, that it didn't
happen earlier -- but it's still better to destroy a blood-stained
weapon than to leave it in the hands of those who would spill yet
more blood with it.

Wretched humanity!

In conclusion, please don't misunderstand me. I would rather none of
this had happened. I don't wish ill on anyone other than those who
have been committing these crimes and those directing and
complicit in them. I hope you, Vesna, and you Slobodan, stay well
*out* of harms way. It saddens me immeasurably to see how
unbelievably susceptible to manipulation by this blood-thirsty regime
the Serbian people have proved themselves to be. When those three
months of mass demonstrations ended, several years ago, with
Milosevic still in power -- and then with those leading the
demonstrations openly collaborating with his regime, I all but gave
up hope in the sanity of the majority in Serbia. (Vojslav Seselj's
poll figures give more than enough grounds for that opinion as well.)
Nothing that has happened since has given me any grounds to
change that opinion.

Michael Benson
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Michael Benson