Andreas Broeckmann on Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:18:19 +0100

Re: Syndicate: yu-students offline? (fwd)

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:59 +0100
From: Berislav Todorovic <BERI@etf.bg.ac.yu>

>> Last point: we understand from
>> our friends in Yugoslavia that students at Belgrade University and
>> throughout Serbia, 30,000 to 40,000 in total, have had their Internet
>> access cut off.  The official explanation, believe it or not, is that
>> this will prevent Yugoslav students from hacking machines in Nato
>> countries, thereby provoking disconnection of the country's Academic
>> Network.  It says something about the importance of the Internet that
>> it has not served the purposes of the Yugoslav authorities to shut it
>> down altogether.
>>
>> [can anybody confirm?]

Not quite true. Here's what really happened: the Serbian Ministry of
Education decided to suspend the work of schools and universities in
Serbia, during the NATO airstrikes. Following that decision, some
university computer centers closed the doors of their terminal/PC
rooms. The servers and access equipment, however, still works without
any problems, so students having PC w/modems at their homes can STILL
access the Net without any major problem.

All of us network administrators are giving our best to help our
users as much as we can.

NOTE: I'm speaking on my behalf - not on behalf of the University of
Belgrade, nor any other institution.

Regards,
Beri

.-------.
| --+-- |  Berislav Todorovic, B.Sc.E.E.     | E-mail: BERI@etf.bg.ac.yu
|  /|\     Hostmaster of the YU TLD          |
|-(-+-)-|  School of Electrical Engineering  | Phone:  (+381-11) 3221-419