cesta on Tue, 13 Oct 1998 18:14:46 +0100

Syndicate: AT HOME ABROAD Festival

Dear Syndicalists,

We want to remind you that the first deadline for AT HOME ABROAD festival is over. Nevertheless, the second deadline is still January 1st 1999. You will find here some information about AT HOME ABROAD Festival. Please, feel free to copy and distribute this to those you feel may be interested. The Open Call Application Form can be filled on our website http://www.cesta.cz/tandt.htm

?AT HOME? ABROAD

An Arts Festival of Cross-national Interdisciplinary Collaborations

Reflections on Adopted Cultures from Im/E/Migrants, Refugees, Extra-legal and Resident Aliens, and Others making their Homes on Foreign Soil

Cultural Exchange Station in Tábor, Czech Republic
August 20-24, 1999

As world borders grow, change or disappear, the results are evident in movement: here to there, near to far, inside to outside. This is not a new occurrence, nor is it strange, yet foreigners remain strangers. Through ?At Home? Abroad we will take a look at our societies from the Other side by discussing and witnessing the experiences, rejections, losses, gains and illusions of these social voyeurs, these uninvited viewers. We will debate the placement of foreigners into non-participatory social categories and offer their descriptions as integral contributions to understanding our societies as a whole. Through the process of collaboration the artists themselves will also investigate the similarities and differences of their adopted cultures.

CESTA?s festival parameters of cross-national interdisciplinary collaborations represent the center?s commitment to developing communication through creative expression. We base our selection of artists on a review of applications resulting from our annual open call. Interested artists submit a prepared concept that fits the festival parameters or request CESTA to connect them with potential collaboration partners. For ?At Home? Abroad participants must join or present a collaboration group in which the members:

1) currently live in a country in which they are considered "foreign"
2) are using different artistic media
3) create a large portion of the work(s) exclusively for ?At Home? Abroad

We do not accept consecutive year applications from previous CESTA festival participants. For more information or an open call application form for ?At Home? Abroad, please contact CESTA.

CESTA is an international non-profit center committed to the development of cultural understanding and tolerance through the arts.
CESTA was founded in 1993 in the southern Bohemian city of Tábor, Czech Republic. For the past four years our association has pursued the development of this center through community events and annual arts festivals of cross-national interdisciplinary collaborations. Housed in a century-old mill, the project serves as a resource center for local and regional artists, and exhibition and performance space for festival participants and visiting artists.

CESTA Novakova 387, Tabor 39001, Cech Republic tel: +420-361-258-004 email: <cesta@mbox.vol.cz> http://www.cesta.cz