Rasa Smite on Thu, 22 Oct 1998 19:37:50 +0100

Syndicate: <!> XCHANGE UNLIMITED festival in Riga

hello,

i would like to inform you about
AN EVENT IN RIGA - NOVEMBER 1998

or - which also might be called

BALTIC MEDIA CULTURE FESTIVAL
November 25-29, 1998, Riga, Latvia

The festival programme contents various events - such as:

XU
[xchange unlimited] - annual international new media festival "art+communication-3" organised by E-LAB
in collaboration with
BIN
[baltic interface net] - 2nd conference on cultural collaboration and networking in Baltic Sea region
and
BALTIC PARTY
audio-visual-public presentation of the idea to establish Digital
Culture centre in Riga.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * X U * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*XU - art+communicationIII
is third international new media conference organised by E-LAB /Electronic Arts and Media Center/ in Riga. This year 'art+communication-3' event with the title "Xchange Unlimited" focuses on such topics:

>> inter-fund - the aim, models and structures
             -> how to develop international self-supporting platform
                for innovative and creative projects and research
                in new media field / -> how to support small scale
                artists-run spaces and individual initiatives /
	      -> access to fundings instead of 'growing your own capital'/

>> establishing of the digital culture centre in riga -
                e-lab in co-operation with other independent
                organisations and projects (Casablanca2000, Locomotive,
                Sloka Sound System/ELAST, OPEN-London, TI, etc.)...
             -> the presentation of the concept will be presented not in
                conference only but also in 'real space' at the exhibition
 		  hall ARSENALS in the event called  BALTIC PARTY

>> net.radio conference+workshops
	      -> "Xchange" meeting: about the developing real
                audio servers' networks
             -> live session: real audio + video transmission in internet,
                radio experiments, etc.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * B I N * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

BIN - Baltic Interface Net
	-> 2nd BIN conference on cultural network development in the
	   countries around the Baltic Sea will bring together
	   representatives - artists administrators, officials, employees
	   and others - from 11 countries.
	-> BIN meeting will focus on both levels - a practical organisational
	   (structure and projects) and on a a political level (preparing for
	   the 4th conference of the ministers of culture from Baltic Sea
	   countries in Gdansk 1999).

* * * * * * * * * * * * * P R O G R A M M E * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

PRELIMINARY PROGRAMME

NOV 25
   BIN & XU pre-opening event (at the Latvian Academy of Arts)
   12:00
   -- screenings of video and multimedia projects 'Bipolar Screen'
      and 'Very Hopeful'
   -- presentations of internet art projects;
   -- DJs - Varka Crew + live jam session - Sloka Sound System
      + new audio tape presentation

NOV 26
   BIN - 2nd conference of Baltic Interface Net
   14:00-19:00 project presentations (semi-closed?)
      arts & culture projects on 'collaborative communication'
      and networking in Baltic Sea region will be presented
      by representatives from all Baltic Sea countries.

NOV 27 (day)
   BIN conference (closed):
   11:00-18:00 working meeting -
      discussion about the future steps and project development

NOV 27 (night)
   BALTIC PARTY
   22:00-06:00 at Arsenals and 20:00-23:00 - outdoors
   organised by Casablanca2000 in collaboration with E-LAB
   concerts & jam sessions, DJs', video&computer screenings,
   environmental art, chill-out
   participants: DJ Vunderbaum & DJ Fat Man (Nu Sound/Denmark);
                 Raul Saaremets (Tallinn/Estonia);
                 Varka Crew (Riga); DJ Ojars Rancans (Berlin-Riga), etc.
   visual: Martins Ratniks, Gints Gabrans, Monika Pormale,
                 Janis Garancs, Mikelis Fishers, & E-LAB
   out-doors: ambient / acoustic jam session:
                 Ugis Vitins & Sloka Sound System, u.c.

   21:00-23:00
   RECEPTION in Goethe Institut-Riga for BIN and XU participants and
   invited guests

NOV 28
   XU [Xchange Unlimited] - Art+Communication3
   annual international new media festival organised by E-LAB:
   14:00
   panel #1: presenting the proposal about the establishing of the
	      Digital Culture & Communication Centre in Riga
   panel #2: discussion about The Inter-fund idea -
	      how > to develop an international decentralized platform
	      for supporting
	      artistic activities on the net > to promote the rising of
             innovative ideas in networking and 'collaborative
             communication' field
             > with a priority of net.audio - development of the acoustic
             environment  > towards undefined and open spaces

NOV 29
  XU - riga net.radio day'98
  12:00
  net.radio workshop: real-audio+video live transmission and experiments         discussions about the developing of real audio servers network, etc.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * I N F O * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

XU PARTICIPANTS:
  tbc:
  Eric Kluitenberg (Amsterdam, NL), Heath Bunting (London-Banff, UK-CAN),
  Pit Schultz (Berlin, D), Zina Kaye (Sydney, AUS),
  Jutempus (Vilnius, LT), Yvanne Faught, Susan Kennard (Banff, CAN)
  Hanno Soans (Tallinn, EE),
  Thomax Kaulmann (Berlin, D), Diana McCarty (Budapest, HU)
  Locomotive (Riga, LV), Luka Frelih (Ljubljana, SLO),
  Ilze Strazdina (Riga-London, LV-UK), Armin Medosch?, Lisa Haskel ?,
  Manu Luksch?
  and many others ? are welcome... :)

ORGANISED
[XU] by:		E-LAB
[BIN] by:		Goethe Institut Riga in co-operation with E-LAB
[Baltic Party] by:	Casablanca2000 and E-LAB

EVENT SUPPORTED BY:
  Goethe Insitut Riga, Swedisch Institut, Latvian Ministry of Culture,
  Riga City Council, Latvian Culturalcapital Foundation, Soros
  Foundation Latvia, and others.

WELCOME TO PARTICIPATE!
  contact: <e-lab@re-lab.net>
           or Rasa Smite <rasa@parks.lv>