mikro|||convex tv. on Wed, 13 May 1998 11:13:36 +0100

Syndicate: **net.radiodays berlin '98**

hi,

berlin-based organisation mikro and berlin radio collective convex tv.
hereby announce the net.radiodays berlin '98. the radiodays will take place
june 6th to june 10th in berlin.

with this message we're also aiming to start a discussion on the Xchange
list (http://xchange.re-lab.net/a/), which should prepare for the meeting
thematically and structurally.

we suggest to understand the following text as a call for participation as
well as a starting point for the discussion on past, present and future of
the idea of net.radio, that has already been started on the list in the
last months. if you want to participate in berlin or telematically, please
contact us. as our budget is extremely low unfortunately, we have to state
here that travelling expenses cannot be provided in general. what we can do
in any case is to send you an official invitation to help fund-raising.
__________________________
#follows: announcement:

as everybody knows, there is no such thing as net.radio, but a great
variety of ideas and experiments around *sound* on the internet. as all of
you have your own unique experiences with "net.radio", we don't want to
provide a 24 hour schedule in a centralist planning style. instead we would
like to ask all of you to participate in creating the contents of the
meeting. to make it a little bit easier we have tried to define a matrix
for topics, that could be discussed and/or be subjects of direct action and
experiment:

1) the economy of net.radio ranges from the realms of hobbyism, pirate
radio and the likes to well institutionalized practices in the boundaries
of political and art-institutions. how can net.radio be organized?
different individuals and groups have developed different ideas and methods
of organization and funding. exchange might bring some insights about media
activism under a variety of conditions.

2) the different politics of net.radio are strongly dependent on the
motivations of its creators. there are radio pirates, commercial digital
broadcasters, real audio archivars and sound afficionados out there, all
trying to find out what net.radio could be now and in the future. there is
a wide range from performance to new forms of digital dj-culture to various
hybrid forms that mix sound-archives, live-streams, text and image, which
brings us to:

3) net.radio is - as already pointed out - an extraordinary bad term for
the strange hybrid technologies and aesthetics that form sound on the net.
on the one hand live-streams seem to bring a certain radio-quality into the
net, on the other hand there are multitudes of real-audio- and
midi-archives (to name only a few) that resemble databases rather than good
old radio. last but not least there have been experiments within the
Xchange community, that brought about a new form of performing collectively
and live, trying to expand the boundaries of the medium. the following
discussions showed that this newly created open space is not yet defined
and asks for more questions than it solves. nevertheless those forms have
their roots in aesthetic and technical experiences with archaic
technologies before those golden days of net.radio. maybe the right time to
open our history databases...

this collection of topics can be expanded in any direction or be compressed
into a dense discussion-as-you-like.

we would be happy to receive propositions for live-streaming events,
sound-experiments etc.

if some of you would like to initiate a discussion with a a text/statement
- push the send-button now!
we also plan to collect statements, texts and links on our net.radio-pages
that also will be the public platform for live-streams.

currently we are also trying to get access to 'real' radio-space to expand
net.radio into the airwaves.
in general berlin net.radio-days don't want to be a strictly organized
symposium, but an open space for meeting and discussion. net.radio-days are
organized by the berlin based organisation of "mikro" in cooperation with
the local convex tv. collective and will take place at several locations in
town.
there will be three afternoons with discussions and lectures and several
live-stream-events.
the actual program will be provided within next week.

"trimm dich" - the motto of the gathering - has been borrowed from a west
german 1970s campaign for public health and means: get fit!

we are looking forward to hearing from you!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
mikro e.v.
info@mikro.org
Ackerstrasse 1
D-10115 Berlin
Tel.: +49 30 282 18 67
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
convex tv.
http://www.art-bag.net/convextv
office:
[test bed], schlegelstrasse 26/27, d-10115 berlin
phone++49 30 28384103/++49 30 2925936
fax  ++49 30 44053039
ses@art-bag.net
           'there's a bandwidth playing on the radio'