andif on Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:23:20 +0100

Syndicate: Mould on Mars : Life around Stars

Please redistribute widely, expires 17th April 1998

TEXT: Mould on Mars.

Recent dicoveries of exoplanets within 80 light years of our solar system
bring confirmation of AAA's belief in our destiny amoungst the stars. Many
had thought the difficulty at finding exoplanets pointed to our 'special'
status and began dragging up arguments that haven't seen the light of day
for many centuries. Now in switzerland and the USA scientists working on
limited budgets have confirmed the existence of exoplanets through
detecting the gravitional wobble of stars casued by the close presence of
an orbiting planet. Now that NASA has relcutantly begun to fund their own
work thus bringing them one step closer to a programme that they could have
begun years ago (and probably didn't for the usual islolationist reasons)
and with experminets that detect the drop in light levels from a star as a
planet crosses its face, promising to yield detection of earth size planets
(as opposed to the jupiter sized ones already found), we could see the
number of potential life bearing destinations growing rapidly. The
Amercians have begun to eulogise to their children about staring at a
picture of an alien world and looking up to the stars. The indicators are
clear in this respect and whilst minds are open the AAA must take its
opportunity to spread the message of autonomous astronautics, for it may
take another millenia for our dreams to be realised and the seeds of
autonomy must be sown now.

A Trillion Channels and nothing on.

The current failure of the SETI project is unsurprising. Loaded with
technical and existential assumptions it represents an icon of cold war
mentality. The recent development of the trillion channel SERENDIP IV
listneing supercomputer of which three are to be made and deployed
represents and an opening up of this field. As teasm outside of the SETI
mentatlity get access to the equipment. The AAA is not prepared to simply
to sit, listen and wait. We propose an active programme of attempts to
communicate with other planets.

PROJECT: 'postcards for 51 pegasus'

Radio Free Earth Began its narrowcasts into new spaces on June 23rd 1997.
As part of its summer season of broadcasts to the stars ('100 light years
of entertainment') RFE intend to celebrate the 2nd Galatica Confrenza of
the AAA in Bologna (the site of one of three new SERENDIP IV listing
stations) now proposes to point its data transmitters to 51 Pegasus for
this special event. Send your messages/pictures(GIF/JPG)/sounds(AIFF)/URL
of greeting to the potential inhabitants of any planets orbiting this earth
like star to aaa@deepdisc.com. The messages will be launched on the 18th
April from 10pm onwards from the Bologna Link centre.

TECH NOTE:

RFE uses a variety of orthodox and non-orthodox delivery techniques from
Directed Analog RF using X.25 through to pyschic channelling. The AAA
assume that if the inhabitants can receive radio broacasts they can also do
crypto, however to make this easier message may be re-formatted to include
regular headers to denote data type and langauge as used in the HTTP
protocol. Thus before broadcast all messages are formatted as web pages, if
you want to do your own page then send us the URL and we will link in to
our programme.

Oceania AAA

www.deepdisc.com/aaa/