Tommaso Tozzi on Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:58:44 +0100

Syndicate: Hack It 98 - we are inviting you

Hi,

I'm sending this message at a selected list of people.

we are carring out the first hack meeting in italy "hack it 98"

www.ecn.org/hackit98/
(see above FAQ)

We'd like to connect one another in the way you think is better (IRC,
CUSEEME, POW-WOW, etc.).

But we are also inviting you for the event which follows.

There are no sponsor and it's realized in a no profit space.
Hack-IT 98 is a SELF-ORGANISED event: there are neither organisers nor
users, but only participants.
We have not possibility to pay the travel :-(( but we can offer you bed &
breakfast :-))
Please send me a reply before the 30th of april.
Best wishes
Tommaso Tozzi
---

                             Hack-It 98
                     Frequently Asked Questions

                      ver. 0.1 - March, 25 1998

This document contains some answers to the most frequently asked
questions about Hack-IT 98.=20

Getting Started
    What is Hack-IT 98?
    Where?
    When?
    How?
    How much?
Computers and other tools
   Will we have an Internet connection?   =20
   Will we have a LAN?
   Will I have computers to work on?
   Can I bring my own computer?
   What else will I need?
   May I bring various electronic equipment?
Logistics
   Where to sleep
   Where to eat
   Services
   How to get there
Programme (in progress)
   Courses
   Workshops
Info
Getting started
---------------

What is Hack-IT 98?
Hack-IT 98 cannot be defined in one way only. It is an open-air
festival, a meeting, a hacking party, a pause for reflection, an
occasion of public learning, an act of rebellion and an exchange of
ideas, experiences, dreams, utopias and love.
What characterises Hack-IT 98 is our wish to live these three days
completely self-organised basing ourselves on our needs. Hack-IT 98 is a
SELF-ORGANISED event: there are neither organisers nor users, but only
participants.

Where?
In Italy, in a squat in Florence named C.P.A. (Centro Popolare
Autogestito, Popular Self-Organised Centre), Viale Giannotti 79,
Florence. Tel and Fax ++ 39 55 6580151

When?
On Friday 5th, Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th of June, 1998. If you wish
and if you have time, you can join Hack-IT 98 several days before the
starting date, in order to help organise the event, install the LAN and
do whatever might be useful.

How?
How you wish! The C.P.A. offers a large area where you can pleasantly
spend your days and nights during  the meeting. There will be a
self-organised camping site, so bring your tent and everything you might
need.

How much?
Do you have to pay to participate to Hack-IT 98? Of course not.=20
Hack-IT 98 is a no-profit event and nobody will make money out of it.=20
In order to cover expenses we will organise a few concerts and other
social events; to attend these a small fare will be requested.
In the eventuality that the expenses should be too high, a small
subscription fee will be requested to all participants.

Computers and other tools
-------------------------

Will we have an Internet connection?
The answer is almost certainly "yes". Although during Hack-IT 98 people
are not meant to work on computers or to navigate on the net, we believe
it is important to be connected at all times.
We cannot guarantee the quality of the connection (probably some ISDN
lines) but we hope to give you more information asap.

Will we have a LAN?
Yes! For the LAN question also, we cannot provide you with further
technical details as everything is still in progress. Most probably the
LAN will be based on TCP/IP.

Will I have computers to work on?
The answer doesn't depend on us. We can guarantee connectivity and the
LAN, but have no idea of how many computers will be available. Bring
your own computer (laptop or not!), your ethernet adapter, your hubs and
so on. The LAN will be in continual progress!
So please read these FAQ as often as you can, as the information will be
continually updated.

Can I bring my own computer?
Of course! It would be an excellent idea if everyone interested in using
a computer during Hack-IT 98 brings his own.
Sheltered tables and rooms will be available.

What else do I need?
If you want to connect your computer to the LAN and to the net, you will
surely need a LAN Adapter. If you don't have one, you can buy one for
about 30$ in any computer shop. If you want to connect your laptop or
your non-IBM computer, you will have to spend a little more.

May I bring various electronic equipment?
Of course! You can bring whatever you want: radios, pagers,
radioscanners, toasters etc. etc. The more you bring with you, the more
Hack-IT 98 will be fun :-)

Logistics
---------

Where to sleep
If you want to live the true atmosphere of Hack-IT 98, the C.P.A. offers
a large area where you can place your tent or sleeping bag.
A tent is not necessary but useful, both for your comfort and your
privacy during the event.
Unfortunately we are in a metropolitan area, so do not expect lawns and
greenery. We will have to sleep on the hard cement! An inflatable
matress will allow you to go back home without a stiff neck!
If all this is just too much, you can book a hotel, but it will cost you
a lot more... A list of hotels will be posted later.

Where to eat
The C.P.A. is known for its good Italian cooking and good-looking cooks!
You can eat well at the C.P.A. without spending a fortune. Special
attention will be given to Vegetarians and Vegans. If you don't want to
eat at the C.P.A., there are many restaurants, pizzerias, supermarkets
and shops of every kind in the neighbourhood.

Services
WCs and showers will be installed for the event.

How to get there
Florence is - we think - a well-known place. The best way to reach it is
by train, plane, bus or car (but not by boat!). Detailed information on
how to reach the C.P.A. will be given later.

Programme (in progress)
-----------------------

-- Courses in basic network technology --
For people with average skills in computer usage.=20
The course will teach how to use the basic services offered by the most
popular networks.
The course will probably be open to a limited number of participants.
Information on pre-registration will be given later.

-- Cryptography and anonimity on the networks --
For people with an average knowledge of network technology.
The course wishes to show how to defend your privacy by using several
techniques (cryptography, steganography, PGP, anonymous remailers etc).
The course will probably be open to a limited number of participants.
Information on pre-registration will be given later.

-- Workshops --
The backbone of Hack-IT 98 will be a series of self-organised workshops.
Everybody can propose and carry out his own workshop. All we ask is that
you inform us as soon as you can what your ideas and proposals are. A
reminder: most of Hack-IT 98 will be in Italian=85
Here are few proposals for possible workshops:

- Knowledge within the Net (by Ferry Byte)
Knowledge as an instrument of self-defence. Is cryptography just a way
of protecting privacy, or also a way of protecting copyright? Distance
learning and distance working in Italy - the exchange of knowledge
through the net. Guest speakers are: Net Diver, Tommaso Tozzi, Arturo di
Corinto, The Walrus, Raf Valvola, Zero BBS, Stefano Lotti, Anna Carola
Freschi

- History of information technology (by Renato Pii)

- Packet Radio and wireless digital transmissions (by Andrea Bov)

News on Hack-IT 98 and these FAQ are at the URL:
http://www.ecn.org/hackit98
These FAQ are periodically updated and posted in several mailing lists
and newsgroups.

If you wish to participate to Hack-IT 98 or if you want propose a
workshop or if you want to give a helping hand in organising, join the
mailing list hackmeeting@kyuzz.org or send a message to hackit98@ecn.org

For any further information, send a message to hackit98@ecn.org

======================================

Some of partecipants to Hack It 98: