Film-Philosophy on Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:58:16 +0100

Syndicate: Film-Philosophy

                          F  I  L  M  -  P  H  I  L  O  S  O  P  H  Y

                                                         electronic salon

                                                                    <////>

When I first saw the cinematograph I realised it could offer something new
to philosophy. The cinema provides us with an understanding of our own
memory. Indeed we could almost say that cinema is a model of consciousness
itself. Going to the cinema turns out to be a philosophical experience.
Henri Bergson

Film-Philosophy is an email discussion forum and website founded in
November 1996.

                          SALON DISCUSSION

The purpose of the salon is the informal discussion of film philosophies.
The aim of which is the creation of a discipline from a collision, from a
debilitating identity crisis.
Why do we need film philosophies? What can a philosophical viewpoint breath
into well-worn debates in film theory? What bred the recent surge of
interest in this area? What is film philosophy?

                          SALON REVIEWS

Salon members are also offered the chance to review recent publications.
Recently we have published reviews of Stanley Cavell's Contesting Tears,
Joseph Anderson's The Reality of Illusion, Allan Casebier's Film and
Phenomenology, Noel Carroll's The Philosophy of Horror, Carl Plantinga's
Rhetoric and Representation in Nonfiction Film, Carroll's Theorizing the
Moving Image, the Iris journal's special edition on Deleuze, Mark Taylor
and Esa Saarinens' Imagologies, William Rothman's Documentary Film
Classics, Torben Grodal's Moving Pictures, Robert Phillip Kolker and Peter
Beiken's The Films of Wim Wenders, Timothy Murray's Drama Trauma, and Der
Film bei Deleuze/le cinema selon Deleuze edited by Oliver Fahle and Lorenz
Engell.

Currently under review are Andre Bazin's Bazin at Work, Gregory Currie's
Image and Mind, the first three Film and Philosophy journal volumes, Heike
Klippel's Gedaechtnis und Kino, Philosophy and Film edited by Cynthia
Freeland and Thomas Wartenberg, Ian Jarvie's Philosophy of the Film,
Timothy Murray's Like a Film, Murray Smith's Engaging Characters, Scott
McQuire's Crossing the Digital Threshold, D. N. Rodowick's Gilles Deleuze's
Time Machine, Jean Louis Schefer's The Enigmatic Body, Sigrid Weigel's
Body- and Image-Space, Film Theory and Philosophy edited by Richard Allen
and Murray Smith, the Antithesis journal's special edition on Time and
Memory, Amy Lawrence's The Films of Peter Greenaway, the journal Vertigo,
William Rothman's The 'I' of the Camera, Peter Bondanella's The Films of
Roberto Rossellini, Scott MacDonald's Avant-Garde Film, Deconstruction and
the Visual Arts edited by Peter Brunette and David Wills, Patrick McGee's
Cinema, Theory, and Political Responsibility in Contemporary Culture, James
Peterson's Dreams of Chaos, Visions of Order, Jacques Derrida's
Echographies de la television,Fredric Jameson's The Geopolitical Aesthetic,
the journal Pix, Paul Virilio's The Vision Machine, Paul Willemen's Looks
and Frictions, Jacques Aumont's The Image, and Brian Winston's Technologies
of Seeing.

                          SALON WEBSITE

http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy/files

Email Salon - more info, and an archive of the discussion list.
Events & Things - including conferences and online organisations.
Film Philosophers - linking to info on writers and filmmakers.
Journals - gathering together periodicals, both online and old fashioned.
Bibliographies - concerning Deleuze, cognitivism and other areas.
Online Writings - containing the salon reviews and some interesting papers.

                          TO JOIN . . .

. . . send the message:
join film-philosophy firstname lastname
to:
mailbase@mailbase.ac.uk

If you know of a someone else who may be interested please pass this on.

For further information contact the owner at:
film-philosophy-request@mailbase.ac.uk

Sincere apologies if you have received this information before (or are
already a member).