Sarka Havlickova on Fri, 21 Nov 1997 19:22:14 +0100

Syndicate: FAUST...THROUGH THE METAPHOR TO THE PRESENT, 4-5 Dec. 1997

Dear Friends,

Prague's Goethe Institute will host a special open forum from December
4 through 5, 1997, entitled:

FAUST...THROUGH THE METAPHOR TO THE PRESENT, which is an organic part
of the "Faust-media theater" project.

We wish to encourage a
multi-disciplinary discussion in which views on the present times
would clash, explored through the focal point of Faustls microscope.
But is there any sense in trying to understand the present through the
Faustian metaphor? Who is Faust? What good does it do to us to know
more about him? To us,  topics hidden and revealed within Goethe's
Faust have become the source of our own creative work (we juxtapose
the actorls existence with projections of the virtual world of
computer animation in a shared space) but we also again and again
encounter their ubiquity in our personal lives and in the entire
communityls life. Am I a Faust then?!

In organizing a forum on theory
we strive to put on an exceptional venue. We emphasize contrasts and
fresh aspects, both of the session itself and of its form. That is why
we wish that the live discussion at the venue be joined by a live
parallel discussion on the Internet (in English) in which any party
interested in the topics discussed could join. We want to facilitate
the widest possible contact of those participating physically and
virtually.

The participants at the venue will be kept informed via a
large screen about the discussion taking place on the Internet, while
the Internet participants will receive transcripts of the activities
at the venue. Both discussions will be hosted by moderators whose task
it will be to facilitate faster communications between the two groups,
which is to say that anyone on the Internet may put a question to
those present at the venue, and vice versa. There will be personal
computers available at the venue that will make it possible for anyone
in the audience to join in the Internet discussion.

We would like to
welcome you in the Internet panel discussion that will go on for both
days concurrently with the program at Prague's Goethe Institute as
detailed below.

If you are thinking about participating or have any
other questions, please contact us at the following e-mail addresses:
matejka@pes.r.amu.cz                           or
havlicks@pes.r.amu.cz

Detailed information on the Faustian forum and
how to access live the Prague discussion on December 4 and 5, may be
obtained at http://faust-forum.icom.cz   or
http://www.multimedia.cz/faust/zivot.htm, which is to be updated soon.

(Bear with us and have in mind the exacting character of this
technical exercise. We will do our best to let you know how to hook up
ASAP.)

Information on the FAUST project, ideas and the organizers at:
http://www.multimedia.cz/faust