Andreas Broeckmann on Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:44:17 +0100

Syndicate: V2_East Newsletter 97/10

V2_East / Syndicate Newsletter 97/10

- Introduction
- Dates of upcoming events
- Updates

- General info about the Syndicate list
- Subscription

* Introduction *

Dear Syndicalists,

if I look at today's date, this is hardly an October newsletter, but the
hyperspace/time of P2P and Ostranenie has only now slowed down to a more
moderate speed.

The Ostranenie meeting was very interesting. There were so many people from
all parts of Deep Europe - on and beyond the continental territory - that
some of us left realising that there were some people we never got a chance
to talk to during the five days of the festival. The comfortable atmosphere
in and around the Bauhaus made it appear as though this friendly community
was going to last forever ... We will hopefully get a few proper reports
about what people saw and experienced during the festival. The Syndicate
meeting that we held on the 7th was bigger than expected, and there were a
lot of newcomers, which meant that we talked more about general issues than
about concrete plans, for instance for ISEA 98. The question of the Soros
2000-withdrawal plan was raised, and even though the opinions differed as
to what the practical impact of the announcement from New York will be,
there is now a critical awareness of the possibility of change in this
field.

The problem links up with the issues that were discussed during the P2P
conference in the Netherlands the week before, because the conference
document, the Amsterdam Agenda, is amongst other things meant as a tool for
all of us to convince policy makers and grant giving bodies all over Europe
that it is important to offer structural support to media cultural
initiatives. It'll have to be seen whether the Agenda will actually fulfill
this function, and it would be interesting to hear from people who have
tried to use it locally in that way.

Two very practical suggestions were made during the meeting, one being
Tapio Maekelae's announcement for the second Polar Circuit workshop which
will take place in Lapland in June and July 1998, and Edi Muka's invitation
to the Syndicate to come to Tirana for a meeting next May (21-24). Edi will
try to organise an event under the title PiraMedia, and will be posting
more news as things become clearer.

The last copies of the Syndicate Reader that Inke Arns produced for
Ostranenie will be available by mail order from the shop at V2, hopefully
later this week. I'll be sending details about how to order copies in a few
days.

Over the last weeks, a few new people have joined the Syndicate network -
welcome! The list is a tool through which we exchange information about
upcoming events, plan or announce new projects, and stay in touch in
between meetings. Please, use the list for posting information about what
you are up to, and for getting in touch with people in other parts of Deep
Europe.

I hope to see you soon,

best wishes,

-a

* Dates of (some) upcoming events and exhibitions *
(check the archive at http://www.v2.nl/mail/v2east for postings about these
events)

- 19 - 27 November 1997: Media-Scape 5, Zagreb/HR
- Nov - December: Da-Da-Net, Moscow/Ru
- 24 - 25 November 1997: Prague Media Symposium: Flusser Media Film, Prague/CZ
- 3 December - 4 January 1998: Scenic Eye: Visual Arts and Theater, Skopje/MK
- 4  - 7 December 1997: Recycling the Future, Vienna/A
- 5 - 7 December 1997: VideoMedeja, Novi Sad/YU
- 28 January - 7 February 1998: International Film Festival Rotterdam/NL
- 12 - 22 February 1998: Transmediale / 11th Videofest, Berlin/D
- 21 - 24 May 1998: PiraMedia, Tirana/AL
- September 1998: Videonale 8 , Bonn/D
- 2 - 7 September 1998: ISEA98, Liverpool&Manchester/UK
- 7 - 12 September 1998: ars electronica, Linz/AT
- 17 - 22 November 1998: DEAF98, Rotterdam/NL

* MEDIA-SCAPE 5
Zagreb 19.-27. November 1997

International Symposium and Exhibition for Art, Media and Culture

Media-Scape 5 will take place in the Museum of Contemporary Art in
Zagreb. The exhibition will focus the variety of perception through
extended technical means. Artists such as Akiko Hada, Franz John, Marko
Kosnik, Darko Fritz, Ina Abuschenko Matwejewa and others will present
their works as media objects, video installations, copy-art,
photography, electronic graphic as well as Internet and CD-ROM
projects. The symposium will be organized more as a round
table, where artists can communicate more closely with the
public.

Project directors: Ingeborg FŸlepp and Heiko Daxl

Multi-medijalni centar, Zagreb, 18 - 19 November  1997

18. November

18-20    Presentation:
Multimedia Theatre - Christian HŸbler, knowbotic research
Multimedia in Opera  - Lawrence Wallen/Thea Brejzek

20-22    Screening:
Video Art  -  Akiko Hada, Anna Saup, Franz John, Darko Fritz

19. November

18-20  Presentation:
Multimedia Dance  -  Anna Saup / Helena Waldmann - Marko
Kosnik - Magdalena Pederin / Ivan Marusic Klif / Natasa
Lusetic

20-22    Screening:
An Overview of the Bienale "Film + Arc" Graz - Introduction by
Charlotte PÅ¡chhacker

Museum of Contemporary Art, Zagreb, 20-27 November  1997

20. November

18 -20   Opening Exhibition  MEDIA-SCAPE  5
Akiko Hada, Franz John, Lawrence Wallen, Darko Fritz,
Ina-Abutschenko-Matwejewa, Heiko Daxl
(Video / Computer installations and objects)

Angela Zumpe, Heiko Daxl, Antal Lux, Betina Kuntsch/Manfred Hodapp
(Video-graphics)

20-22  Presentation:
CD ROM Projects
Landscape Today - Electronic Landscape (diverse Artists)
Vortex (diverse Artists)
Berlin Connection (Eku Wand)
a.o.

* MANIACS OF DISAPPEARENCE - Today's Japan as Disseminator of Video-Messages

MoCA, Skopje, 20 - 25. November 1997

"This project was designed to introduce artistic expression through vide by
Japanese young generation of the 90's, but the selected works do not
represent the present situation of video art as a whole.Within the limited
display method which is to show only tapes, not in an installation format,
we would call it a segmental study of an image culture of Japan as a
disseminator. The purpose of this project is to transit Japan's urban
culture in the process of time and space, and to look into its hybrid
characteristic in reproduced images on video. Thus the selection of artists
was not confined to artists of Japanese nationality. We hope to see how
electronic images are treated in contemporary arts and performances, how
image media are considered in conjuction of film, video and CG, how human
body and sexuality appear in them, and if bodily senses will be extinct and
replaced by a cybernetic world."

curators: Kazunao Abe, Yukiko Shikata

artists: Taro Chiezo/ Yuji Kitagawa/ Noritoshi Hirakawa/ Natsuko Otsuki/
Mari Terashima/Noriko Umano/ Yoshinori Tsuda/ Teiji Furuhashi/ David Blair/
David d'Heilly

* Prague Media Symposium: Flusser Media Film

November 24-25, 1997

Goethe-Institut Prag, Masarykovo nâ?¡brezâ?? 32

As a continuation of our traditional series of media symposia, the
Goethe-Institut Prag is organizing for the sixth time an international and
interdisciplinary symposium. Again, we will take a close and critical look
at new media art and communications philosophy.

This year«s symposium will concentrate on two aspects: VilŽm Flusser's
thinking and the interrelation between film and the new media, with a
special focus on the digitalization of film.

Prague Media Symposium

Monday, Nov. 24

9.30 a.m.
Welcome
Michael Bielicky: The artist's identity?
Thomas Knšfel: The Survivor
Jirâ?? Fiala: Flusser's Most Devilish Book
Milena Slavick�: VilŽm Flusser and the Mourning of the Heart

2.30 p.m.
Lubor Benda: Putting Flusser On the Web
David Larcher: "Ich-Tank"
Francis Wittenberger: The Virtual Universe & Secondary Consciousness

6.00 p.m.
Lev Manovich: Cinema As a Cultural Interface
Silver: Algorithm as an Art - The Viewer as a Variable

Tuesday, Nov. 25.

9.30 a.m.
Jaroslav Andel: Speed
Ulrich Weinberg: Digital Games
Peter Krieg: Let the Paradigms Shift!
Joachim Sauter: Film in Virtual Space

2.30 p.m.
Ludvâ??k Hlavâ?¡cek: On Czech Media Art
Dietmar Kamper: The Virtual As a Variant of Absence

6.00 p.m.
Petr Vrâ?¡na: The Aesthetic of Formats
Zbigniew Rybczynski: Visual Special Effects Using High-definition TV (HDTV)

The symposium with not be of purely academic character but rather be an open
forum for research into and discussion of the subject. Everybody is welcome
to participate. Admission free. Languages spooken: Czech, English, German.
Simultaneous translation provided. The symposium has been organized with
Prof. Michael Bielicky, Academy of Fine Arts Prague (AVU). In cooperation
with the Open Society Fund Prague, the Prague film school FAMU, the Soros
Center for Contemporary Art Prague and the Collection of Contemporary and
Modern Art (Veletrznâ?? palâ?¡c) of the Czech National Gallery in Prague.

Information:    Goethe-Institut Prag
                Ramona Ullmann or Andreas Stršhl
                Masarykovo nâ?¡b¿ezâ?? 32
                CZ-110 00 Praha 1
                The Czech Republic
                Tel.: (++420/2) 24 91 57 25, Fax: (++420/2) 29 94 21
                e-mail: kultur@goethe.cz or progr@goethe.cz

* VIDEOMEDEJA '97
Novi Sad, Yugoslavia, 5th to 7th December 1997

The second Video Festival "VideoMedeja", dedicated to presenting works done
by women, will be held from 5th to 7th December 1997 in Novi Sad,
Yugoslavia. The thematical span of this issue is representation of personal
female erotologies artistically directed towards dialogue with their own
possibilities in the argument with the opposite sex as well as possibilities
of artistic engagement today and investigations of functions and scope of
the art margins.

                        Festival "VideoMedeja"
                        Asocijacija "Apostrof"
                        Jevrejska 4/I
                        21000 Novi Sad, Yugoslavia

                        tel/fax: +381 21 621 308

                        E-mail: videomed@fodns.opennet.org

* SCENIC EYE: Visual Arts and Theater

MoCA, Skopje, 3rd December '97 - 4th January '98

An exhibition of IFA Berlin with Installations, Photographs, Objects, Video
and Sound Installations by: KLAUS VOM BRUCH/ CARLFRIEDRICH CLAUS/ HARTWIG
EBERSBACH/ JOCHEN GERZ/ RAINER GOERSS/ MAGDALENA JETELOVA/ HANS PETER KUHN/
RAIMUND KUMMER/ MARK LAMMERT/ OLAF METZEL/ HERMANN PITZ/ KARLHEINZ
SCHAEFER/ THOMAS SCHUETTE/ KATHARINA SIEVERDING/ ROSEMARIE TROCKEL/
GUENTHER UECKER/ WOLF VOSTELL/ UTE WEISS-LEDER/ QIN YUFEN

Author: Wolfgang Storch;
Texts for the catalogue: Wolfgang Storch/ Antje von Graevenitz/ Michael
Freitag and others.

* transmediale 98 / 11th VideoFest
February 12 - 22, 1998
Podewil, Berlin, Germany

CALL FOR ENTRIES

>From February 12 - 22, 1998 the Podewil hosts the second transmediale and
>the eleventh VideoFest. Associated to the Berlin Film Festival, it will
>attract thousands of visitors and hundreds of accredited guests, thus
>making the Podewil an international meeting place for the creative talents
>in media. The festival will be organised by transmedia and Podewil, with
>support by the Senate of Berlin, the European Commission, and private
>sponsors.

Submitted may be works from the areas of video, computer animation,
television, films with digital parts and multimedia projects (CD-ROM, CD-I,
discs, cartrige, internet) which were produced since 1996. Works will be
considered for selection which are dealing with reality in an innovative
way, or those which aim at furthering their respective medium.

AWARDS
The transmediale will award three prices for outstanding works in the
fields of video, television and multimedia. Further awards will be donated
by sponsors.

MEDIA ART INSTALLATIONS
The transmediale exhibits classic video-sculptures as well as space related
installations, based on interactive or networked systems. The transmediale
invites artists to exhibit but other interested parties may also submit
their proposals. We expressly desire entries for performance concepts.

FURTHER EVENTS
The presentation of works is one side of the transmediale. In a series of
special events the festival will reflect theoretical questions of media
art, especially the crossing of the borders between the different media
territories to that the whole event is dedicated.
Artists, companies, producers and educational institutions will be provided
with a platform to present their ideas, concepts and projects to a broad
audience. transmedia questions the philosophical and social effects
connected with technological developments and uses.

Focus 98
In 1998, a focal issue of the transmediale will be a "stock taking of
seeing". Renowned artists and experts will take into critical review the
past 30 years of video culture; in the field of computer animation and
multimedia it will present the state of the art, and in the television
section it will concentrate on outstanding stations and personalities of
german TV history.

DEADLINE: November 28, 1997

For further information, incl. all FORMAL REQUIREMENTS,
please, contact

"transmedia" <videofest@mediopolis.de>

Johannes Lenz-Hawliczek
transmedia Berlin
February 12 -22, 1998
Fon *49 30 2472 1907
Fax *49 30 2472 1909

* Updates *

* P2P: Extensive information about this conference on media policy is
available on the website: http://www.dds.nl/p2p/, especially in the P2P Web
Journal. For an extensive report and further information, please, contact
<p2p@dds.nl> (Eric Kluitenberg, Marleen Stikker, Andreas Broeckmann).

* CRAC (Creative Room for Art and Computing)

CRAC is a digital media workshop in central Stockholm, Sweden.
CRAC combines advanced digital technology and artistic integrity and offers
a unique setting for the production of digital art and for research in  the
field.
CRAC gives artists the opportunity to work with most digital tools,
including video, sound, www, 2-D and 3-D images. The equipment is
continuously updated and our goal is to always have the most up-to-date
technologies available.

We sponsor seminars relating to artistic and digital fields in order to
further understanding of current and future tools for artmaking.

Collaborative research with other Swedish and international participants in
the field of digital technology also falls within CRAC's agenda. Please
inform us on other activities of this kind.

CRAC is run by the non-profit organization SKODK (Svenska Konstnarers
Organisation for Digital Konst) and the foundation MediaLab.

SKODK was founded in 1996 by visual artists and artists working with sound.
The goal was to start and run a non-commercial, digital workshop.  With
generous support from Sveriges Bildkonstnâ?°rsfond, Stiftelsen Framtidens
Kultur, and Stiftelsen fË?r Kunskaps- och Kompetensutveckling, SKODK opened
the CRAC workshop in 1997.

The members of SKODK have access to the workshop on a project-to-project
basis. You, swedish or not,  can apply for SKODK membership if you have
documentation of previous artistic practice and experience with digital
technology. We also look for exchange situations so that we ( and perhaps
you) will be able to work in various places in the world.
Please contact the direction for more information and/or an application for
membership in SKODK.

Board: Peter Hagdahl, Anders Boquist, Mikael Lindgren, Gunnel Pettersson,
Carl Michael von Hausswolff, Annika von Hausswolff, Karin Hansson and
Arijana Kajfes; Technicalities: Tore Nilsson; Administrator: Christine Odlund

contact: <info@crac.org>

* KulturKontakt

Marie Ringler writes:
For information about an Austrian institute called KulturKontakt which is
in part dedicated to giving money to Eastern and Central European
artists/institutions and supports cooperation with Austria, check out:
http://www.cso.net/kk/
The site also has a link list to various other organizations which work in
a similar area.

* General Info *

V2_East is an initiative of V2_Organisation Rotterdam, which is aimed at
creating a network of people and institutions who are involved with or
interested in media art in Eastern Europe and which wants to create an
infrastructure that facilitates cooperations between partners in East and
West. With its 'Syndicate' mailing list, website <http://www.v2.nl/east>
and regular meetings, V2_East is becoming an important tool for fostering
ties within the media art community in Europe which makes it increasingly
obsolete to think in term of 'East' and 'West', and which will eventually
make the V2_East initiative itself redundant.

The V2_East/Syndicate is a no-budget network initiative rather than an
institution. <syndicate@AEC.at> is the address of a mailing list which is
dedicated to an exchange of information and ideas relating to the situation
and future development of electronic and media art in Eastern Europe. A
Syndicate-mail archive for messages that are coming in over the list (since
April 97) can be found at: http://www.v2.nl/mail/v2east/
The list members include more than 190 artists, curators, networkers,
writers, festival organisers, etc., from East as well as West European
countries and beyond, who, through the 'Syndicate', are trying to improve
the communication and cooperation between artists and organisations in East
and West. The list was first installed following the initial meeting of the
V2_East initiative at V2_Organisation in Rotterdam on January 21, 1996, at
the end of the second Next 5 Minutes conference. During the DEAF96 festival
in September, we held a V2_East Meeting in which around 30 people from 12
different countries participated. Other meetings were held in Liverpool
(LEAF97, April 1997), Kassel (Deep Europe workshop, August 1997), Linz
(Syndicate Net.Shop, September 1997), and Dessau (Ostranenie 97, November
1997).

* Subscription *

To subscribe to the syndicate list, please, send a message to
<syndicate-request@aec.at> with the following text in the body of the
message: 'subscribe [email-address]'
For more information about the Syndicate, please, contact <abroeck@v2.nl>
(Andreas Broeckmann).

*Please, send information that you feel should appear in the next edition
of this newsletter (deadline: 30 November 97) to: abroeck@v2.nl.