bielicky on Sat, 27 Sep 1997 20:47:13 +0200 (MET DST)

Syndicate: PRAGUE MEDIA SYMPOSIUM

Prague Media Symposium

Flusser Media Film

For the sixth time, the Goethe-Institut Prag  and the Academy of Fine Arts
Prague ( Prof. Michael Bielicky) are organizing an international and
interdisciplinary symposium on the media development, communications
philosophy and media art. The event will take place November 24 and 25,
1997, at the Goethe-Institut Prag, Masarykovo nâ?¡b¿e_â?? 32, Prague 1.

We believe we are in the midst of a major shift of paradigms that will
affect every aspect of our social, cultural, political and private lives.
The rapid development of new media technologies has as its consequence not
only a drastically changing mode of communication, but also a radical
rupture in the way we perceive the world and ourselves. It is, therefore,
of the highest priority for us to reflect this process, but also to
participate in it in a constructive and creative manner.

This year«s symposium should be seen as an open forum for new and unusual
reflections and ideas. We will also try to evaluate the developments of the
last six years, and, possibly, draw conclusions. Above all, we will
concentrate on two aspects this time: VilŽm Flusser (a part of whose work
has been translated into Czech) and the interrelation between the new media
and film.

We expect 10 - 20 presentations, given by artists and theorists mainly from
the Czech Republic and Germany, but also from several other European
countries as well as from America and possibly Australia. These
presentations (20 - 30 min. each) are meant to stimulate discussions. The
event will not resemble a purely academic proceeding but rather have the
character of a common and open investigation into, and reflection of the
subject matter. Everybody is welcome to actively participate in this joint
effort.

The symposium has been developed as a continuation of a line of previous
events that dealt with subjects like ãMass communication and elitist
communication", "Change of paradigms" (1991), ãVilŽm Flusser - Pioneer of
post-history" (1992), "After-images - Post-images. Interaction with digital
media" (1993), "New media and ethics" (1994), ãArtificial environments as
artifacts" (1995) and "Media art - Intercultural hope or art without a
message?" (1996).

Languages spoken (and simultaneously interpreted) will be Czech, English
and German. Free admission. In cooperation  with the Soros Center for
Contemporary Arts Prague and the Institut Francais Ë? Prague.

Information:    Goethe-Institut Prag
                Ramona Ullmann or Andreas Stršhl
                Masarykovo nâ?¡b¿ezâ?? 32
                CZ-110 00 Praha 1
                The Czech Republic
                Tel.: (++420/2) 24 91 57 25, Fax: (++420/2) 29 94 21
                e-mail: kultur@goethe.cz or progr@goethe.cz