kovats on 15 Jun 97 17:48:05 EDT

Syndicate: Sarajevo-Belgrad Bus Schedule and ostranenie

Dear Syndicalists!

Due to the stress of project development and organisation I have as yet failed
to post the notes of our extremely rewarding, yet complex and complicated road
trip through Poland, Ukraine, Moldova and Romania. There exists a huge text,
which will appear shortly in the soon to be revamped Web Site for OSTRANENIE 97.
The report will include photographs, as well as number of project descriptions
which will certainly be of interest to hopefully quite a few of you.

In the meantime I would like to provide you with perhaps the only existing
source of travel information between Sarajevo and Belgrade. You might this an
absurd thing to post, but it is precisely this type of information - or lack
thereof - which helps contribute to the practical exchange of people, views,
ideas and various other important interactive possibilities. I recently visited
Belgrade, Novi Sad, Sarajevo and Mostar. Again interviews from this trip are
currently being transcribed and will be posted soon...

The following bus schedule is reliable (relatively) but is only to be found in
Kula, a dusty Bosnian-Serb road intersection near Sarajevo. Information given
and posted at the bus station in Belgrade is incomplete (only one bus leaving to
Lukavica - near Sarajevo is given, with no return possibilities!)

The real schedule is as follows:

Belgrade - Sarajevo ("Serb" Sarajevo - marked cyrillic CC on license plates)
6.15 Express - arrives ca. 13.30 in Kula
6.30 arrives ca. 15.00
7.00 arrives ca. 15.15
7.30 arrives ca. 16.00 in Kula (this is the only one on the "official schedule
in Belgrade)

The non express buses (example based on the 7.30 run) make stops in

Sabac 		9.00
Ribari 		9.30
Loznica 	10.00
 - then the border stop could become a twilight experience... if they ask you in
Serbian if you have a camera (fortunately they don't use the word kamera but
something else and gesticulate as if showing a pair of binoculars) - then just
shrug your shoulders , keep smiling and say that you are just going for a short
visit, and they will give up after a while
Zvornik 	11.15
Vlasenica	12.15
Mrkali (with lunch break) 13.00
Sokolac		14.00
Pale		14.45
Lukavica	15.45
Kula		16.00

Once you get off at this dusty intersection, which is quite close to the
Sarajevo airport judging by the number of helicopters constantly landing nearby,
you must proceed either by foot or by taxi to the edge of the city, from where
you must take another taxi after having crossed the "line" between the
serbianand bosnian entities. There is also a very handy bus, escorted by a white
UNHCR Bronco, which acts as a so-called inter-cantonal bus (it looks like a
regular red city bus), which makes a run stopping at the Kula bus depot, and is
the only method of transport which seems to cross the line between the entities.

For a return ride to Belgrade, buy a ticket with a reservation here - in town
nobady has a clue on how to get to Belgrade...and enquire about the stops and
schedule in town for the intercantonal bus (there is one somewhere in Grbavica,
which is handy for leaving town to go back to Kula - although I couldn't find it
and, again nobody could tell me anything about it, so I walked the 5 or 6 kms)

Sarajevo (Kula) - Belgrade schedule:

6.00
7.30
9.30
12.00
15.00 Express arriving ca.21.30

Travel times are a bit shorter in this direction.
Tickets cost 48 Dinars one way (about 15.--DM)

Bon Voyage, many greetings - and still eagerly awaiting more applications,
especially from the Baltikum, to ostranenie '97 - deadline June 30th!

Stephen Kovats
100662.2476@compuserve.com
www.misa.uni-magdeburg.de/ostranenie/