Andreas Broeckmann on Sat, 10 May 1997 15:55:54 +0100

Syndicate: V2_East Newsletter 97/04

V2_East / Syndicate Newsletter 97/04

- Introduction
- Dates of upcoming events
- Updates (from Moldova; Kaleidodrama)

- General info about the Syndicate list
- Subscription

* Introduction *

Dear Syndicalists,

I know this newsletter comes impossibly late, but it seems that everybody
is so busy at the moment that few of you will have noticed its absence.
During the last weeks we have had the LEAF meeting in Liverpool, about
which I hope we'll have reports for the list very soon, and which was very
useful both for the conceptual agenda of the Syndicate, and as another
proof of the effectiveness of the network for discussion and cooperation.
Some people also came to the WRO97 festival in Wroclaw, where we heard some
interesting talks from people like Ryszard Kluszczynski, Lev Manovich and
Alla Mitrofanova. The next big thing should be the "Beauty and the
East"/Nettime meeting in Ljubljana in two weeks where there should be ample
opportunity to discuss the political mappings and remappings of the new
Europe.

In the summer, the documenta X in Kassel will host the 'Hybrid Workspace'
which Geert described in a mail a few days ago. The Syndicate will probably
be represented there, i.e. there will be a group of people from the
Syndicate working there during a 10-day period. It will be a laboratory for
content production in various media and should be a good opportunity to get
some of our ideas, projects and discussions out to an interesting public.
We are currently looking at a slot around the end of July, beginning of
August, though the dates have not been fixed yet. If you are planning to
come to Kassel anyway, why not come during that period and turn it into a
longer, informal and totally unofficial Syndicate potlach during dX? I'll
announce the precise dates as soon as they are fixed.

I have been told that the V2_East/Syndicate was featured in "Culturelink
21", the quarterly of a Zagreb-based  international network of cultural
networks. Has anybody seen the issue?

Finally, there has been a Syndicate-mail archive running for about a month
now, so that you can check all mails that are coming in over the list on
the WWW as well; the address is:
http://www.v2.nl/mail/v2east/

We can welcome a few more subscribers to the list from Slovenia, the Czech
Republic and from the UK. Please, continue to use the list for your
announcements and reports, and I do agree with Branka, it is very nice to
get a glimpse of the real people behind those dry and official
announcements from time to time.

I hope to see you soon,

best wishes,

-a

* Dates of (some) upcoming events and exhibitions *
(info below or in Newsletter 96/..)

- 21 - 24 May 1997: SeaFair: Altering Visions on the Net, Skopje/MK
- 22 - 23 May 1997: Nettime Conference, Ljubljana/SI
- 23 May - 1 June 1997: transmedia/10th Videofest, Berlin/D (97/01)
- 3 June - (?) 1997: E-Mail Art 4, Bratislava/SK (97/01)
- 6 June - 6 July, 1997: ARTEC'97, 5th Internal Biennale in Nagoya/JP (96/12)
- 10 June 1997: SeaFair: Troubled Interactivity/CuSeeMe Conference, Skopje/MK
- 21 June - 29 September 1997: Documenta X, Kassel/D
- 8 - 10 August 1997: Hacking In Progress, HIP97, Almere/NL (97/01)
- 8 -13 September 1997: Ars Electronica Festival, Linz/A
- 12 - 18 September 1997: World Wide Video Festival, Amsterdam/NL
- 22 - 27 September 1997: ISEA 97, Chicago/USA (96/12)
- 3 - 23 October 1997: Hi-Tech/Art '97, Brno/CZ
- 4 - 11 October 1997: 3rd Festival of Computer Arts, Maribor/SI (97/02)
- 5 October - 2 November 1997: Screens, Trondheim/NO
- 7 - 19 October 1997: Interstanding 2, Tallinn/EE
- 10 - 12 October 1997: ROOTless  '97, Hull/UK
- 16 - 26 October 1997: VIPER 97, Lucerne/CH (97/01)
- 18 October 1997: opening ZKM, Karlsruhe/D
- 21 October 1997: SeaFair: Interactive Narration/Int. CD ROM exhibition,
Skopje/MK
- 24 October 1997: opening Multimediale 5, Karlsruhe/D
- 5 - 9 November 1997: OSTranenie, Dessau/D
- 18 - 30 November 1997: DEAF 97, Rotterdam/NL
- 5 - 7 December 1997: VideoMedeja, Novi Sad/YU
- September 1998: Videonale 8 , Bonn/D
- September 1998: ISEA98, Liverpool&Manchester/UK

* Hi-Tech/Art '97: SYMPTOMS AND HOME REMEDIES, Brno/CZ

Exhibition Dates: October 3rd - October 23rd, 1997

Hi-Tech 97 is the fourth annual Hi-Tech exhibition. Hi-Tech is cooperatively
organized by the Video-Multimedia-Performance Studio and Silicon Graphics
Corporation.

Symptoms and Home Remedies: Exhibition

Symptoms and Home Remedies uses the metaphor of illness as a point of departure
for the presentation and discussion of new media art and art making and its
relationship to current events and trends in European or Western culture. The
focus embraced, however, not be restricted to is the 'symptomatic' aspects of
concepts such as cultural unification and democratization through the aid of
information technology.

Hi-Tech 97 will feature video works, multimedia installations, network-based
projects, and performances. Please note, however, that work in all mediums will
be considered.

Symptoms and Home Remedies: Symposium
A series of talks, presentations, and performances will address problems such
as:
+ What issues do work employing information technologies often/rarely
  address?
+ What are the dis/advantages of information technologies?
+ What areas of cultural diversity are abandoned or rarely examined in
  hopes of creating more 'global' work?
+ How is ethnicity represented/ignored in work from areas which are racially
    	  diverse?
+ What role does Western Europe play in the development of new media art in
  Central and Eastern Europe? What ideals or goals does it present for the
  artist? How does the artist deal with these themes in their work?

Submissions for the exhibition and the symposium can be made via e-mail or
via post at the address below.

The selection will be made by the Hi-Tech 97 committee made up of academics,
theorists, artists and technicians in the field.
Previously published and/or papers which have been presented at other forums,
if relevant, may be presented.
All abstracts and papers will be published in the proceedings.

DEADLINES

Deadline for reception of abstracts: June 30th, 1997
Notification of selection for presentation: July 15th, 1997

Information will be available at http://vmp.vutbr.cz from June 1st, 1997

FaVU VUT Brno
Video-Multimedia-Performance Atelier
Kvetna 34
602 00 Brno
The Czech Republic
(420-5) 43 21 14 48 tel/fax
jennifer@ffa.vutbr.cz
evad@ffa.vutbr.cz

* Hull  Time  Based  Arts: ROOTless  '97
Friday 10th - Sunday 12th October 1997

The ROOT Festival is one of Europe's foremost programmes of international
performance, live art, film and video, and new media installation.

ROOTless '97  will be  concerned  with  possession and disenfranchisement;
location and dislocation; centre and periphery; autonomy and
marginalisation; nationalism and regionalism; the individual and the
collective.

ROOTless  97 is composed of:

*       Nomad Territories. Following  research  conducted  by  Roddy  Hunter,
        Co-Consul of  The  Nomad  Territories  for  England, an international
        convention of performance art.

*       Atlas: a public symposium event, on the theme of 'trans-national'
networks      with invited representatives of global states, political and
military alliances,
        arts organisations and individuals involved in pioneering artists'
networks. (tbc).

*       The launch of The Nomad Territories identity card.

*       An international exhibition programme: installation, performance art,
        audio work, interventions, and on line projects.

*       A screen programme of open submissionRoOIn transit' rmany, and C3
Cen Rootless Cinema Shorts.

*       A residency and outreach programme with local people.

*       EMARE media artist's residency from Muu, Finland, Werkleitz
Gesselschaft,       Germany, and C3 Centre, Hungary. (tbc).

*       Akke Wagennar Digital City Project.

*       Fresh 2 Film and Performance debut screening. (Film + Video Umbrella).

*       HTBA membership commission.

International invited Artists include:
Guillermo  Gomez-Pena .  Brian  Connolly . Heath  Bunting . Bruce  Gilbert
. Istvan  Kantor . Pia  Lindman . Richard  Martel . Hiroko  Nagatomo .
Pervaiz  Khan . Marilena  Preda-Sanc  . Andre  Stitt . Elvira  Santamaria .
Artur  Tajber . Valentin  Torrens.  (tbc).

HTBA. 8 Posterngate. Hull. HU1 2JN.
01482 216 446.
htba@htba.demon.co.uk

* Screens: art, media, technology
organized by Trondheim Academy of Fine Art & Trondheim Kunstforening
5 october - 2 november 1997

Info at: http://www.trdkunst.no/screens

* Updates *

- Corina Cotorobai of the SCCA-Chisinau writes:

I am the Program Coordinator for the SCCA-Chisinau. My activities are
mainly focused on the Center's documentation program, grants and day-to-day
operations. This year I will graduate from the Institute of Art in Chisinau
with a degree in graphic design.

In the autumn of 1997, I am curating an exhibit of graphic design and
advertising in Chisinau called, "The Esthetics of Business or The Business
of Esthetics?" It will highlight the best of Moldovan design. We are
planning tohave an accompanying seminar with participants from Moldova and
abroad, focusing on the practice and theorization of design in our current
situation.

- Kaleidodrama

To the best of my knowledge, in this year's round of the EC Kaleidoscope
programme, all projects that relied on participation from Eastern European
countries were turned down. The negotiations between the EC and these
countries about the Kaleidoscope programme failed (apparently due to the
fact that the financial contribution from the Eastern European countries
wasdeemed too low), and although the administrators in Brussels are now
trying to make the applicants feel responsible for the failure of their
applications ('you should have called us prior to submitting ...'), it
seems obvious that the cock-up happened at the Brussels end: they called
for applications last autumn and then changed the rules briefly before the
deadline.

More importantly, this is a dramatic failure of European cultural
cooperations. It is rather ironic that those Kaleidoscope applications
which had 'EC-only' partners should go through while those projects which
made the deliberate effort to work together with Eastern European partners
and thus help to build the new Europe, should all be turned down.

I feel that we should strongly protest this practice by the Commission
Department. I don't know at the moment what will be the most effective way
of doing this, but I think that we must not let this pass without a
comment. We are trying to collect more information about this, which is
proving to be rather difficult - another bad sign. If you have anything,
please, let us know.

* General Info *

V2_East is an initiative of V2_Organisation Rotterdam, which is aimed at
creating a network of people and institutions who are involved with or
interested in media art in Eastern Europe and which wants to create an
infrastructure that facilitates cooperations between partners in East and
West. With its 'Syndicate' mailing list, website <http://www.v2.nl/east>
and regular meetings, V2_East is becoming an important tool for fostering
ties within the media art community in Europe which makes it increasingly
obsolete to think in term of 'East' and 'West', and which will eventually
make the V2_East initiative itself redundant.

The V2_East/Syndicate is a no-budget network initiative rather than an
institution. <syndicate@AEC.at> is the address of a mailing list which is
dedicated to an exchange of information and ideas relating to the situation
and future development of electronic and media art in Eastern Europe. The
list members include more than 120 artists, curators, networkers, writers,
festival organisers, etc., from East as well as West European countries and
beyond, who, through the 'Syndicate', are trying to improve the
communication and cooperation between artists and organisations in East and
West. The list was first installed following the initial meeting of the
V2_East initiative at V2_Organisation in Rotterdam on January 21, 1996, at
the end of the second Next 5 Minutes conference. During the DEAF96 festival
in September, we held a V2_East Meeting in which around 30 people from 12
different countries participated. In April 97 the LEAF97 meeting in
Liverpool brought together more than 30 people from across Europe.

* Subscription *

To subscribe to the syndicate list, please, send a message to
<syndicate-request@aec.at> with the following text in the body of the
message: 'subscribe [email-address]'
For more information about the Syndicate, please, contact <abroeck@v2.nl>
(Andreas Broeckmann).

*Please, send information that you feel should appear in the next edition
of this newsletter (deadline: 30 May 97) to: abroeck@v2.nl.

V2_Organisatie * Andreas Broeckmann * abroeck@v2.nl
Eendrachtsstr.10 * NL-3012 XL Rotterdam * <www.v2.nl>
t.+31.10.4046427 * fx.4128562 * <www.v2.nl/east>
second leg: Pfluegerstr.27*12045 Berlin*+30-6233293