Andreas Broeckmann on Sun, 29 Sep 1996 15:45:12 +0100

V2_East Newsletter 96/10

V2_East Newsletter 96/10

Dear friends,

just a few lines to thank everybody who participated in the V2_East Meeting
for their contributions in the programmes, and for great conversations and
atmosphere in the DEAF96 cafe in Lantaren/Venster. And many greetings to
those who could not come to Rotterdam for the meeting.

The Meeting was very successful in fostering new contacts and friendships
between the more than 30 participants from all over Europe, improving
East-West as well as East-East relationships. Several new projects have
been discussed and we believe that this personal meeting will lead to other
cooperations in the near future. As well as putting our work 'on the map'
for each other, the public programme on 18 September, during which we had a
whole series of presentations about media art in different countries,
served to place East European media art activities in the consciousness of
many of the guests of DEAF96 and ISEA96. Responses were extremely positive.

We also had two internal discussion meetings with the V2_East group, during
which we talked about the next steps necessary for improving the network as
a support structure, as well as what needs to be done to improve the
archival situation of media art. Many ideas came up during those meetings
and will be further developed in the course of the next months.

The DEAF exhibition is closing today, and I hope that in the course of the
next days the first evaluations, lists of new projects that have been
initiated, further material for the website, etc., will begin to emerge.

We produced a Reader for the Meeting which has in it the programme
schedule, information about the speakers, abstracts of the talks, some
texts, a small list of archives and a bibliography. The 70 copies that were
made have all been distributed but we can, if there is the demand, produce
a few more. As there is no budget money for this, it would be good if we
could arrange payment of Hfl.11/DM10 per copy. If things go well, all the
material should soon also be available on the V2_East website. I'll keep
you posted.

Please, send us material (texts, bibliographic references, information
about and addresses of archives, etc.) that you feel would be relevant for
developing the information base about media art in Eastern Europe. Inke
Arns <inke@is.in-berlin.de>, who co-organised the meeting, will continue to
co-process incoming material.

We should also welcome some new subscribers and thus members of the
Syndicate. There are now 85 people on the list. Please, continue using
<syndicate@aec.at> for posting news about media art events in the different
parts of Europe, as well as about institutions, other information sources,
funding possibilities, etc. The discussion about the specificity or
non-specificity of East European media art that was started here in
Rotterdam last week could also be continued here.

Best wishes, and stay in touch,

Andreas

V2_Organisatie * Andreas Broeckmann * abroeck@v2.nl
Eendrachtsstr.10 * NL-3012XL Rotterdam * t.+31.10.4046427 * fx.4128562
<www.v2.nl> <www.dds.nl/n5m> <www.v2.nl/east>