nina czegledy on Wed, 8 May 1996 15:09:30 -0400

CURRICULUM VITAE

Dear Friends,

This is a belated "Curriculum Vitae postcard" from Burnham, England. My
visit  to  PETRE NIKOLOSKI's installation took place on the appropriate
date of April 25th in the afternoon - however I had no e-mail access from
the village pub and so the message had to wait a few days.

You are invited to walk with me to the Art Installation of Petre at 19a
High Street, Burnham, just a bit west of London. My friend Selina and I -on
our way to the "Bosnian Convoy" meeting this evening- made a little detour
from Oxford to this pastoral village.It is a beautiful spring day, with
bright skies, trees in bloom and a pub on the corner. Next door,
overlooking the village green, lives and works Petre with wife Vicki and
baby Daisy. Peter has been working for seven years on Spaces, The Magic
Forest 1989-1999.  "As a result of working on this project... with natural
materials... I have discovered the beauty of simplicity through
constructing such visual tactile qualities as: warmth, cold, soft, strong,
inside, outside, solid, fluid.. and time."

The luminous white paper sheets move gently in Petre's "exhibition" room.
The mellow light behind the soft layers, the small pyramid of newscuts on
the floor, the pastel colors, the intimate solitude - invite contemplation
and transform this ordinary study into a magic place. The sounds of the
village,- dogs, kids, occasional cars,- drift through the window, however
it doesn't disturb the intimacy.  One would just like to sit here for a
long-long time watching the ever-changing light.  This is certainly not
your ordinary gallery. And the interactivity implied in the "Curriculum
vitae" project means something solid and very real here. Instead of the
average gallery visitors the vicar came, and Vicki's friends came and
Petre's collagues and Daisy's buddies. While they had tea and biscuits, one
by one they visited the quiet room of a segment of Curriculum Vitae. It
certainly will provide something extra to chat about at the next
village-fair in Burnham.

best regards nina