Anna Balint on Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:09:47 +0200 (CEST)

Syndicate: Re: CHEAP despot actions

Dear Marc,
shortly: I think free speech is a very important issue -
even if it gives room for inarticulate messages - also
because of the political situation in Austria, Italy,
Macedonia, Yugoslavia, in Hungary, Belgium and other
countries as well. It was in a similar situation that dada,
surrealism, suprematism grew out. If Syndicate conceived
itself as a meeting place for East and West Europeans, I
couldn't support that somebody like nn who likely identify
herself as East European gets banned from the forum. If nn
is a programme - besides that programming is also a way for
self expression - I consider it a good one. When so many
words get a negative connotation in different political,
commercial, technological, corporate contexts I find
setting up an own language very constructive. Probably nn
speaks about her own experience with software development,
about her artistic and commercial environment, and I would
regret to miss her reflections - besides that as a curator
I think it is of my obligation to listen. I don't see her
as taking over the list, I think she more added her content
in the time of rising of a new generation of media artists.
She is also not paid for the contributions.
Myself I am on the list in order to gain unmediated
information as an alternative to the anachronistic
Hungarian press and art magazines, I wish to follow the
work and the attempts of artists and organizers for
collaboration in different regions, I seek to read about
their artistic experience and their efforts to grasp local,
regional, geographical, political, social, cultural or
ethnic identities and issues with regards also to
distinctions of gender. I wish to see also reflections
about hot topics in East and West Europe. I am really sorry
for instance that no reflections came about the verdict
pronounced in the process of Radislav Kristic in Hague, and
no comments were made on the role of technology and media
in the building of evidences against him.
As an administrator I am sorry that Andreas and Inke have
difficult time, I seek to facilitate the list and keep it
working.
best wishes, please transmit my greetings to Karen as well,
Anna Balint