anna balint on Sat, 18 Aug 2001 20:53:50 +0200

Syndicate: metaforum gossip shop

dear Diana McCarthy,

naturally I have a different understanding of the metaforum conferences and
its organisation.
The whole thing was much based on my preferences, readings, contacts and
travelling and on my attachment to Budapest in the first place.
Just because other do not appreciate me, because I did not like to push
myself in the front, I rather liked to be an assistant and it would have
been very difficult for me to represent it,
also because of my very restricted mobility and flexibility in travels due
to the permanent struggle with the visa requested from me - you don't have
to underestimate me.
I don't claim that 'I have done' the conference series, I just organised it,
if this was not clear to you - it means that from the background or
headquarters.
I can tell you confidentially: secretly I enjoy that something similar
happened these weeks as well. I organized that Janos Sugar was invited to
teach to the new audio-visual communication department in Kolozsvar-Cluj. He
has accepted without noticing that I assist this time at the setting up of
the academy.

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly the www.mrf.hu address does not work
properly, URL's not found is what one can vastly experience if adventures
there. I suspect Janos takes care of it. Other links - never updated -
pointing to metaforum like www.isys.hu/metaforum do not exist anymore since
Steve Carlson moved away from the headquarters.

To my biggest disappointment I consider the text I have translated for the
Bulldozer book the only good part of it. Neither me, nor Geert Lovink have
ever agreed with the selection of texts in it. I find the material and
translation errors in the book terrible, the title out of context, the
layout, typography and the tremendous amount of orthographical mistakes
shocking.

But it is maybe useful that you mention the metaforum conferences in the
context of the identity of the syndicate and nettime list, the three
metaforums were among the first east-west meetings,

greetings,
Anna Balint - glad to have initiated metaforum