Amy Alexander on Fri, 17 Aug 2001 00:35:14 -0700 (PDT)

Syndicate: mail filter "how-tos" and writing software (was RE: administration)

(mail filter how-to links at bottom of post)

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, anna balint wrote:

> I would like to ask Amy Alexander whether he could write filtering software
> on request to provide people with an efficient tool to validate their
> preference.

hi,

first, to resolve any confusion - i'm a she. :-)

as to your question - i see there's been some more discussion since you
wrote this, so i'm not sure whether this is still something of interest.
anyway, as to
actually writing some custom software - unfortunately i'm really swamped
at present, with moving and some other stuff, so i wouldn't have time even
to look into it soon. (will probably be on and off list sporadically
for the next few weeks, so if i don't reply to mail sometimes it's not
personal. :-) ) also much of the programming task isn't really up my alley
in terms of expertise, so i'm probably not a great person to write it -
though i'd be happy to help out if i can, once i get settled a bit after
moving, etc.

i've received one other response offlist with some good suggestions for
developing such software; perhaps if there are other people interested in
working on this people can get together about it onlist?

anyway, what might help, at least in the meantime, is information on
filtering mail for people who haven't done it before. i found a few links
to filtering "how-tos":

http://www.cyberwalker.net/email/filters-links.shtml
(a comprehensive list, but none of the links to the junk-mail.com server
work, at least at the moment.)

http://www.sirius.com/spam/mailfilters.html

http://www.superlink.net/help/Mail2/em6.htm

if you are using eudora, netscape mail, or outlook express, you should be
able to find a link to filtering directions for your mailer on one more
more of the above sites.

info on filters for pine or elm users:
http://www.u.arizona.edu/local/pine.html

also, pine/elm users (or anyone with a unix shell account) may want to
look into procmail filtering. procmail filters mail on the server, before
you download the mail to your computer, but can be confusing to set up if
you're not familiar with unix and/or aren't sure how your unix account is
set up. however, if anyone want more info on procmail filtering, let me
know.

hope that helps,
-@

--
plagiarist.org
Recontextualizing script-kiddyism as net-art for over 1/20 of a century.