J.B. on Sun, 13 May 2001 22:04:12 -0700

Syndicate: Support Interdisciplinary Program in peril

Dear Fellow Syndicalists:

As a long-time subscriber, I have mostly lurked in the background,
contributing only an occasional posting. As an artist, I've corresponded
with other Syndicalists (off-list), and have been inspired by your postings
and sites. I've often shared these sites with my students, along with
articles and features on art and artists from Eastern Europe, Japan, Russia
and so on--much of it sparked by various postings/links from Syndicate. Now
I'm asking for your support for an interdisciplinary arts program where I
have been a long-time visiting lecturer.

San Francisco State University is planning to eliminate their InterArts
Center for financial reasons, although classes in their graduate program
are filled to overflowing. (This comes at a time when huge numbers of
artists are being forced out of the city due to skyrocketing rents and
evictions from their spaces.) Many, many California-based
interdisciplinary, video, sound, and performance artists are graduates of
IAC or have been visiting faculty at IAC (including some Syndicate
subscribers). IAC is one of the oldest, if not THE oldest interdisciplinary
arts programs in the country.  IAC was at the forefront of the burgeoning
of interdisciplinary arts practice and theory 50 years ago, and by
eliminating the department, SFSU is turning its back on one of its most
innovative and historically significant programs, one that university arts
programs across the country look to as a model.

A group of faculty and students are working to retain IAC as a viable and
vital arts institution and part of San Francisco State University. They are
requesting letters of support to present at the Academic Senate meeting on
Tuesday. Please take ten minutes right now to compose a brief email in
support of this important interdisciplinary arts program. An international
response would be invaluable. Even a couple of sentences would be
appreciated. Emails are needed as soon as possible.

Address your letters to:
sfsu academic senate pamela vaughn, chair san francisco state university -
adm 551 1600 holloway avenue san francisco ca 94132

please send a copy via email to each of the following:

lise swenson: lisetim@dnai.com chris novak: cnovak@sfsu.edu scott macleod:
<mailto:macleod@dnai.com>macleod@dnai.com

send the hard copy, on letterhead (if appropriate) to:
scott macleod 540 alabama street #225 san francisco ca 94110

Thanks and Best Regards,
Julie Blankenship