Syndicate admin on Fri, 04 May 2001 10:07:06 +0200 (CEST)

Syndicate: macedonia briefing 03.05.01

Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 16:18:19 +0200
Subject: briefing  03.05.01

Dear friends,

We would like to thank you once again for being with us during the

Macedonian crisis in March. We are put in a situation where we

need to turn your attention to the situation in Macedonia once

again, after the massacre of eight Macedonian soldiers which took

place on Sunday 28th of April this year and the street unrests in

Bitola. Today two more soldiers died in the vicinity of Kumanovo.

This is merely an emergency briefing. For the moment we do not

plan to brief you on daily basis. For all those who have subscribed

to the weekly briefings by the "Euro-Balkan" Institute, we would

like to remind you once again the the first weekly brief will be

produced next Wednesday (May 9th).

Best regards to you all,

Jovan Donev, Director of the "Euro-Balkan" Institute

Katarina Kolozova

Director of the Research Center

in Gender Studies - "EuroBalkan"

Plostad "Makedonija" 33/5

1 000 Skopje

tel./fax: (+389 2) 23 69 23

tel. (+389 2) 13 36 25

</param>"EURO-BALKAN" INSTITUTE ON MACEDONIAN CRISIS</center>

<center>03-05-2001</center>

<center>CONTENTS:</center>

Macedonian crisis</paraindent>

Macedonian crisis</paraindent>

ABOUT MACEDONIAN CRISIS

EIGHT POLICEMEN AND SOLDIERS MURDERED AND
MUTILATED

Eight Macedonian security force members lost
their lives, while six were injured in an armed
terrorist attack on  28th April  around 17:45 on
the road between the Tetovo villages Selce and
Vejce in the vicinity of the municipality Breza.
The Macedonian soldiers and policemen were
attacked by the terrorists with hand mortars,
grenades and automatic rifles while patrolling
with 4 military and police vehicles. After
murdering them, the terrorists mutilated the
bodies of the deceased policemen and soldiers =96
shot at them and cut them with knives. According
to the Internal Affairs Ministry, the policemen
and soldiers were attacked by a diversion-
terrorist group that had illegally passed the
border between Macedonia and SR Yugoslavia at
the part of Kosovo, on the stretch in the
vicinity of Shar Planina. Army sources claim
that in the last 4 days, the situation on the
border with Kosovo was calm. The Macedonian Army
hadn=92t detected any new entries of terrorist
groups from Kosovo to Macedonia. The Macedonian
Army Headquarters evaluates the situation in the
country as serious. The Macedonian security
forces, in accordance with the conclusions
brought by the Security Council and the
Government, undertook all the necessary measures
to locate and neutralize the terrorist group and
to introduce total control in the Shar Planina
region. There is a curfew in Tetovo from 22:00
to 5:00. (=93DNEVNIK=94)

THE MONSTROUS MUTILATION IN VEJCE PROVOKED A
STREAM OF STREET VIOLENCE

After the gruesome mutilation of the 8
Macedonian soldiers and policemen on Saturday in
the region of the Tetovo village Vejce that
shocked the Macedonian community, a wave of
violence covered several Macedonian towns. The
Macedonian community was shocked by the news
that Albanian gangs in a most cowardly manner
attacked a Macedonian Army and Police Patrol
from ambush, and then cold-bloodedly tortured
the injured and mutilated the lifeless bodies of
the murdered. The anger and revolt escalated
with the information that the Macedonian
security forces hadn=92t responded accordingly and
timely to the attack. After the distressing
funerals in Bitola, Drachevo and Kumanovo, a
large group of citizens in Bitola (4 of the
deceased are from Bitola), on Monday evening
demolished several shops owned by Albanians or
Macedonian Muslims. One of the shop owners fired
at the group with a hand gun and injured a
citizen of Bitola. Several shops and restaurants
were set on fire and demolished in the Old Town
in Bitola, as well as the premises of the
Islamic Community. Disorders and fires were also
noticed in some villages in the Bitola region.
Yesterday the incidents continued in several
other towns with multi-ethnic population. A
Molotov cocktail was thrown at a mosque in
Veles, in Delcevo a hair salon owned by
Albanians, was set on fire. Stores are
demolished in the municipality Djortche Petrov
in Skopje. Three newsagents=92 were set on fire in
the municipality of Vlae, masked individuals
with arms and baseball bats forcefully entered
the pizza restaurant =93Lozana=94, owned by an
Albanian, in the municipality Porta Vlae in
Skopje and verbally and physically assaulted the
employees and shot at on of the guests. One
person was injured by fire arm. In a drive-by
attack, several unidentified individuals shot at
the building of the Albanian Embassy in Skopje.
A fire incident occurred in the municipality
Madjary in Skopje, in the house of the =93A1
Television=94 journalist, Snezana Lupevska, but
the reasons are still unknown. (=93DNEVNIK=94)

THE GOVERNMENT APPEALS FOR RESTRAINT AMONG THE
MACEDONAIN CITIZENS

The security situation in the state is on the
level of delicate peace. With the incidents in
Bitola, the terrorist goal was achieved =96 the
start of a civil war, stated the Macedonian
Government spokesman, Antonio Miloshoski.
Because of this, the Government appeals for
restraint and also, support to the security
structures, the only ones able and responsible
for the territorial integrity and sovereignty of
Macedonia. Commenting the condemnation of the
United Nations Security Council of the cowardly
and brutal attack on the Macedonian Security
forces, Miloshoski said that it is a
confirmation of the firm determination of the
International Community to give unreserved
support to Macedonia in the fight against
terrorism and extremism. (=93NOVA MAKEDONIJA=94)

THE BROADCAST OF THE EVENING NEWS IN ALBANIAN IS
STOPPED

The general manager of the Macedonian Radio and
Television, Ljupcho Jakimovski, on Sunday
evening brought a decision to stop the broadcast
of the evening news in Albanian on the second
channel of the Macedonian Radio and Television.
The reasons given are: =93I make this decision
based on the fact that the News Program in
Albanian in the Macedonian Radio and Television,
ever since the very beginning of the security
crisis in Macedonia, has conducted in an
uncoordinated manner, contrary to the editorial
politics of the Macedonian Radio and Television,
i.e. against the state interests of Macedonia.
The news program in Albanian on the Macedonian
Radio and Television, instead of acting as an
integrating factor, acted as a disintegrating
factor for the Albanians in Macedonia and its
aim was supporting the violence and ethnic
hatred, i.e. support to the Albanian militant
extremism=94. The next day after the decision,
Miljaim Ljatifi, cheif editor of the Albanian
Program in the Macedonian Radio and Television,
resigned from his position. Yesterday, the
editor Ljatifi gave us this statement on the
events and accusations: =93I do not agree with the
opinion of the general manager of the Macedonian
Radio and Television and the Broadcasting
Council that the evening news on the Albanian
Program in the Macedonian Radio and Television
does not comply to the editorial politics of the
institution and that it provokes national
intolerance. My opinion is that the case
concerns inaccurate information, or to be
precise, they get bad translation of our news
from Albanians, spies in the institution=94.
Previously, the TV presenter, Migena Gorenca,
was fired by the general manager, because she
gave a statement for the BBC, at the time of the
crisis, that she supports the Kosovo Liberation
Army (UCK). The editor of the Albanian Program,
Miljaim Ljatifi, confirmed that the ban of the
evening news in Albanian happened, among other
reasons, because that evening the 8 Macedonian
soldiers and policemen were murdered, this
information was not given on edition of the
evening news. =93This is true, because the news
were already prepared at 21:30. We don=92t have a
strict broadcasting term for the last edition of
the news, so that day, my co-editor, Blerim
Hiseni prepared the news earlier because he
expected they would be broadcasted at 22:00.
But, they were broadcasted about 23:50, and at
the time they were prepared =96 we didn=92t have any
official information on the event. Still, I
agree that this is a professional mistake, an
overlook, because we knew of this event=94, stated
Ljatifi. (=93DNEVNIK=94)

REACTIONS OF THE POLITICAL PARTIES AFTER THE
GRUESOME MURDER OF THE SECURITY FORCE MEMBERS

VMRO-DPMNE considers the event to be a gruesome
act and an inhumane attempt to negatively effect
the positive, already started processes in
Macedonia, the goal of which is to change
certain directions that our state is firmly
following. With these cowardly acts, the
Albanian terrorists will gain nothing, they will
just increase the gap between the Macedonians
and the other minorities, on one side, and the
Albanian minority, on the other, it is said in
the statement given by VMRO-DPMNE. The DPA
(Democratic Party of the Albanians), horrified
by the absurd murder of the 8 members of the
security structure of Macedonia, condemned this
act as empty, absurd and destructive and as one
that endangers all good-willed and rational
endeavors to, with dialogue, solve the
misunderstandings and to improve the inter-
ethnic relations in the country. The SDSM
considers this act to be a continuation of the
action of the Albanian terrorists from the
position of territorial pretensions towards
Macedonia and an attempt to disregard the
sovereignty of the country and its territory.
The ones responsible for this terrorist act, in
the SDSM=92s opinion, want to undermine the
dialogue between the political parties on the
rights of Albanians in Macedonia and want the
dialogue to be conducted under the threat with
arms. PDP expresses condolences concerning the
incident and believes that the irresponsible
conduct of the Government and the rejection of
the start of a serious dialogue on the open
issues in the inter-ethnic relations directly
influences the escalation of the political-
security situation in the country and as a
result has human casualties. The PDP=92s opinion
is that the security situation is becoming
dramatic because the system institutions are
almost non-functional, ineffective, because the
Macedonian police was not able, or showed no
desire, to control the situation. They point out
the behavior of the citizens of Bitola, when
Albanians=92 stores were demolished before the
eyes of the police, and also a house was set on
fire. This kind behavior was noticed in Skopje
as well while the police was a partaker.
(=93VECHER=94)

ABOUT MACEDONIAN CRISIS

REACTIONS ON THE SOLDIERS MURDER AND MUTILATION
BY ALBANIAN REBELS

Lord Robertson, the Nato Secretary General, said
in statement:=94 I was appalled and outraged. I
condemn the cowardly acts of the extremists and
my message is simple: the violence must end and
their tactics will not be successful.=94 Javier
Solana, the EU security affairs chief, said: =94At
this tragic moment, I want to appeal to the
citizens and the political leadership of the
country to pursue and intensify all efforts to
promote inter-ethnic understanding.=94 Western
leaders are nervous that the violence could
escalate into another Balkans war. Stevo
Pendarovski, an Interior Ministry spokesman,
said:=94 We are very concerned that this is the
start of new violence. We didn=92t expect this
atrocity, which is unparalleled in our history.
Maybe some people are not happy because the
political dialogue is going well.=94 (Independent)
EU foreign affairs commissioner Chris Patten
said that the ambush was clearly intended to
derail attempts to rectify legitimate minority
grievances through interparty dialogue. The
attack "must not be allowed to succeed," he
added. State Department spokesman Philip Reeker
said in a statement on 28 April that "the United
States condemns the attack by armed ethnic
Albanian extremists [on 28 April] on Macedonian
security forces, which resulted in the death of
eight Macedonian soldiers. We extend our
condolences to the families of those who died,"
DPA reported. He added: "The United States calls
upon all political parties and groups in
Macedonia to join in condemning the senseless
act of violence and to continue the process of
political dialogue in which they are engaged."
met with Ivan
Kostov, Bulgarian Prime Minister, in the State
Department today, US secretary Powell voiced
satisfaction for having has a chance to discuss
with the Bulgarian government leader that
Bulgaria and the US can do for the stabilization
of the Balkans and more particularly for
preserving the territorial integrity of
Macedonia. The US side stressed the strategic
position of Bulgaria in the region, which, in
Powell=92s words, is particularly important in a
view of solving energy problems. (Excerpts from
BEF News Desk)

NIGHTS OF CLACHES FOLLOWS BUTIALS OF MACEDONIAN
POLICEMEN,ALBANIAN REBELS SAY THEY KILLED IN
SELF-DEFENSE

Four people were injured in shooting in the
Macedonian town of Bitola yesterday following
the funerals there of four policemen killed in
rebel fighting on Saturday. State television
reported that the windows of several shops and
restaurants =96 believed to be owned by Albanians
=96 were smashed after the burials. One of the
wounded was said to be an ethnic
Macedonian.(AFP)The political leader of the
rebel National Liberation Army (UCK), Ali
Ahmeti, told Reuters by telephone, "we consider
it as a provocation by the Macedonian forces so
that they could present themselves as the
victim." Ahmeti says the UCK rebels opened fire
in self-defence after Macedonian troops
approached their positions. He says no UCK
soldiers were killed or wounded during the
clash. Ahmeti denies the attack means the UCK is
launching a new offensive, saying that "since
the Albanian issue has gained momentum, it was
not in our interest to attack." Arben Xhaferi,
whose DPA is part of the governing coalition,
said that the ambush "will endanger the progress
of [multiparty] negotiations and will deepen the
polarization between Macedonians and Albanians,"
London's "The Guardian" reported from Skopje on
30 April. The daily quoted unnamed "Western
military experts" in the Macedonian capital as
saying that the ambush is part of an attempt to
"make no-go areas. [The guerrillas] want
territory and not institutional change... It's
what the Macedonians have feared." Prime
Minister Ilir Meta said in Tirana on 30 April
that "such actions undermine the process of
dialogue [needed] to solve the [Macedonian]
Albanians' problems," Reuters reported. He added
that "the only way to combat extremism and to
isolate extremist groups and to strengthen the
stability of Macedonia and of our region is the
continuance and deepening of the dialogue that
has started" between all the political parties
represented in the parliament. (Excerpts from

ATTACKS SHAKES MACEDONIA TALKS

Following a month of daily clashes between
ethnic Albanian gunmen and the Macedonian
security forces in March, it has appeared in the
recent weeks that the previously often half-
hearted negotiations would turn into a more
meaningful dialogue. Always a controversial
issue =96 with ethnic Albanians claiming that
their number are consistently underestimated =96
the census is now even more of a political hot
potato because several tens of thousands of
ethnic Albanians fled Macedonia during the
conflict, and their leaders want them to return
before the head-court can go ahead. In spite of
this still outstanding issues, progress at the
talks has been quite impressive. That is because
international pressure and domestic
circumstances have urged the talks. On the
domestic front, Macedonia=92s leaders have been
eager to exploit the relative quiet of the past
month to forge ahead with discussions =96 before a
possible resumption in the fighting which might
spiral out of control unless nipped in the bud.
The momentum for progress has also been strong
on the international stage where both the EU and
the US have urged to speed settlement. =93The
talks in Washington will probably take a
different direction now which means asking for
strong support form the US administration in
dealing with or stamping out the presence of
terrorist groups in the Republic of Macedonia,
which not only want to harm the political
dialogue, but also this country=92s future and
survival=94, said Macedonia president Trajkovski.
He also indicated that the danger now is that
Saturday=92s killings =96 the worst incident since
the fighting flared up at the end of February =96
could derail the talks. This was quite possibly
the intention of those who launched the attack =96
because any bloodshed tends to polarize
Macedonia=92s ethnic communities. (BBC) Macedonia
is to ask the US for support to quell ethnic
Albanian militants rebels. =94We will ask for
political, economic and military support,=94
president Trajkovski said in Romania before
leaving for the United States. He said the
killings had =93nothing to do with the democratic
demands of ethnic Albanians in Macedonia. It is
pure terrorism, and it must be eliminated.=94 =93It
is time now to unite the political forces and
all the citizens of Macedonia so that terrorism
is defeated,=94 Trajkovski said on the state
television. (CNN) After a meeting of the
government and of the National Security Council,
Trajkovski said in Skopje on 29 April that the
security situation has grown worse, BBC's
Serbian Service reported. He pledged "no mercy"
in the fight against "terrorism." Trajkovski
called on KFOR to better control the border
between Kosova and Macedonia and on the interna
tional community to declare the UCK a "terrorist
organization." For their part, guerrilla
spokesmen said they acted in self-defence,
Reuters reported. (Excerpts from BBC)

CRIMINAL GANGS RUNNING THE BALKANS

Behind every apparent nationalist crisis in the
region lies a much seedier squabble between
mafia bosses who find that mobilizing people
upon ethnic lines is their most powerful weapon
if their business deals go sour. The outbreak
Croat separatist sentiment in western
Hercegovina earlier this month was directly
linked to the International community=92s attempt
to halt the suspected illegal dealings of the
largest local bank. The Macedonian crisis, when
Albanians and Macedonians almost went to war in
late march and early April, was sparkled in part
by a dispute over the control of the lucrative
illegal tobacco smuggling operation into Kosovo.
And last weekend=92s elections in Montenegro,
first and foremost about whether the republic
should break its constitutional ties to Serbia
and become independent, was not uninfluenced by
the issue of who controls the crucial smuggling
links with
Italy. It is slowly downing on the EU that the Balkan mafias and the regio=
nal
economic chaos upon which they feed may well be the greatest foreign polic=
challenge of the next decade. (Excerpts from BBC)

SECRETARY POWELLS REMARKS WITH MACEDONIAN
PRESIDENT TRAJKOVSKI

once again had the opportunity to express
solidarity with Macedonia; the US' total
commitment to territorial integrity of
Macedonia; our commitment to this democracy
which is facing dastardly and cowardly acts from
terrorists and terrorist organizations that are
trying to subvert the democratic process in
Macedonia. I discussed with the President the
steps that he has been taking with the leaders
of his coalition government to deal with some of
the concerns expressed by ethnic Albanians in
Macedonia with respect to the use of their
language, universities, with respect to other
issues that I congratulated the President on
moving aggressively to deal with, to include
political reconciliation in all its forms,
including possible constitutional amendments at
some point in the future. I made the point to
the President that we must not allow terrorists
to derail political reconciliation. As long as
we keep moving in this direction, we will dry up
the support that terrorists might think they
enjoy. And I also discussed with the President
other things that the United States can do to
support them, not only in security issues but as
well as economic support that they need during
this difficult time.

PRESIDENT TRAJKOVSKY: First of all, I would like
to thank to him that he invite me to pay a visit
to the President Bush, also to the Secretary of
Defence Rumsfeld. And I believe that this is a
real demonstration of the commitment on the part
of United States in the Republic of Macedonia
and the region, and it shows that the United
States would like to remain in that part of the
region. Also, it shows that the United States
would like and is willing to defeat the
terrorists, and also to uphold the democracy and
the rule of law, and also to support the
Republic of Macedonia in everything what we are
doing. Also, that was a good opportunity to
brief - shortly to brief the Secretary about the
political dialogue, what we are doing. And this
political dialogue never stop in Macedonia. And
I informed the Secretary about my work that I
invite on the table all political parties and
that my vision is to create a society which will
be based on the individuals, not on the ethnic
groups -- on the citizens, not on the ethnic
groups - and that we are going to discuss for
the rights of all citizens in the Republic of
Macedonia. And the principle of these
discussions will be the quality of the rights of
the citizens, the quality of the rights and
responsibilities of the citizens in the country,
to discuss for the rights of the men and women,
female and male, and regarding their background
and religious and political and ideological
Department of
State transcript)

 OF THREE
NATIONS<bold> </bold>
Representatives of the parties represented in
the legislature of the Republika Srpska agreed
in Banja Luka on 27 April on the text of a
constitutional amendment to make the Muslims and
Croats legally equal to the Serbs in the Serbian
entity, RFE/RL's South Slavic Service reported.
The Bosnian Constitutional Court previously
ordered the governments of both entities to
introduce such legislation. The amendment also
specifies that the "Croatian and Bosnian
languages" will share an equal status with
"Serbian." The Latin and Cyrillic alphabets will
0100,0100</param>