Inke Arns on Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:33:05 +0200

Syndicate: Convergence: Call for papers on "Intermedia"

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:58:58 +0100
Subject: Call for papers
From: Convergence <convergence@luton.ac.uk>

Convergence: The Journal of Research into New Media Technologies
CALL FOR PAPERS

We are currently planning a special issue of Convergence on ?ntermedia?
with a targeted publication date of Winter 2002.  This issue will be
guest-edited by Yvonne Spielmann and Jack Ox.

*What is ?ntermedia?*

Intermedia is the combination of structural elements from two or more
different media into one medium. It can or cannot be multimedia, although
they are of course two very different concepts. Intermedia has become an
important strategy and issue today because computers are such natural tools
for producing it.  The merging of different media in intermedia creates a
new form.  It is a transformation which can be compared to emergent
behaviours in the science of complexity, where independent systems acting
simultaneously on each other produce something quite different than the sum
of their parts. In 1966 Dick Higgins, noted Fluxus theorist and artist,
first named and defined intermedia: intermedia differs from mixed media; an
opera is a mixed medium, inasmuch as we know what is music, what is text,
and what is mise-en-sc?ne.  In an intermedium, on the other hand, there is
a conceptual fusion.?
*The debate*

The variety of terms used to describe and define the phenomenon of
merging/converging elements of different media are many and often have
overlapping and contradictory meanings.  Besides intermedia and multimedia
there are also the terms hypertext and hybridisation. The question at stake
is if and how the apparent modes of interchangeablility, flexibility and
fluidity of media appearances extend our understanding of intermedia in
ways that the ?ew?strategies of interrelationship expand and alter ?but
nevertheless continue ?representational forms we have seen during the
twentieth century. Such media appearances are prominently exemplified
through the use of multiple layers, complex composites and further tools of
connectivity. What is the relationship between early and late forms of
intermedia?  How has it been developed through the use of new media and
technologies.

*The focus of the special issue*

We would welcome contributions which both explore the boundaries of the
newly expanded use of the intermedia concept and address the essential
category of transformation. What does this conceptual phenomenon look or
sound like?  How does it relate to the earlier development of intermedia as
both theory and practice when it was newly born in the avant-garde
movements?  How does the combination of different media structures realise
itself in digital media?  This is the area we would like to concentrate on
in this special ?ntermedia?issue of Convergence. The practice of
intermedia in analogue techniques must be far more conscious and deliberate
than in our new digital technologies because the tools of new media allow
an easier convergence.  Can we find a structural difference between
historical intermedia and current intermedia?

COPY DEADLINE FOR REFEREED RESEARCH ARTICLES: 1 April 2002.

All proposals, inquiries and submissions for this special issue to:

Yvonne Spielmann
Maria-Hilf-Strasse 3
50677 Koeln
Germany
tel: +49-221-31 11 72
e-mail: spielmann@medien-peb.uni-siegen.de

and

Jack Ox
712 Broadway #5
New York, NY 10003
tel: +1 212 254-2590
fax: +1 212 475-1297
e-mail: jackox@bway.net

ALL OTHER INQUIRIES TO THE EDITORS at Convergence@luton.ac.uk

information and for details of back issues, see our web site at
http://www.luton.ac.uk/Convergence

The copyright of all articles, papers, reports and reviews published in
Convergence rests with the University of Luton Press. Any author(s) wishing
to have their published text reproduced elsewhere should seek the necessary
permission via the Editors

Edited by Julia Knight, Jeanette Steemers & Alexis Weedon
Dept of Media Arts,
University of Luton,
75 Castle St., Luton, LU1 3AJ, UK
Editorial email: Convergence@luton.ac.uk