Andreas Broeckmann on Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:18:56 +0200

Syndicate: up north: call for scandinavian art for berlin show, oct 2001

Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 17:02:30 +0100
Subject: up north: more information
From: "upnorth@triphase.org" <upnorth@triphase.org>

Up North

the exhibition is going to take place at the Tacheles Arts Center in October
2001. It is organized by Tacheles, the curators are Boris Riedl, Tom Jeske
and Joachim Stein.

There is no theme. We don't see Up North as just a 'regional' art show. It
is not strictly limited to artists from Scandinavia. However, we are
interested in works dealing with the specific conditions in certain
societies that seem so reasonable in many aspects.

Scandinavian countries and companies seem to adapt easily to new
technologies. Scandinavian musicians and artists as well as athletes are
extraordinary successful on an international scale. It seems that northern
societies are doing very well in the international competition while
providing a high level of security and personal freedom to citizens.

Is there...

Yes, there is a budget. We will invite eight artists to Berlin, so they can
realize their projects here. We are planning to show and document additional
works. Please calculate your project's budget, including costs for
transport. Tell us what equipment you need to present or realize your work.

The Dossier

The dossier should contain your name, address, telephone, etc., a brief
description of your project, including photos, if you wish.

In case you are a group, please give us the number of people involved in the
project. We would also like to know if objects will have to be transported
to Berlin and what material you need to present your work.

No paper. Send an email containing all documents you want to include. We
suggest the jpg-format for photos.

You are welcome to send Video material via Email too. Make sure the files
are not to big. If you wish to send Videotapes, you are welcome to do so.
However, we can not send the tapes back to you. Of course we respect your
rights on all the material we receive.

Please make sure, we receive your dossier before end of March 2001.

Tacheles

Kunsthaus Tacheles is situated in one of the most prospering parts of 'New
Berlin'. The area used to be the Jewish Quarter before the holocaust, the
building itself was the entrance to 'Friedrichstadt-Passage', a huge
shopping mall built in 1907. After its bankruptcy, AEG started using the
building as a marketing and display space for their products in 1928. They
called it 'Haus der Technik'.

During World War II the building was used for administration departments by
the Nazi Party. French prisoners of war were detained in the 5th floor.
During the allied raids the build was hit several times and partly
destroyed.

In 1990 a group of artists discovered the building. Very quickly Tacheles
became the most famous squat house project in Berlin with many visitors
every year. Over the last decade tacheles has developed into a recognized
cultural center with relations to international art centers and
institutions.

At the moment parts of the building are being renovated. There will be 40
ateliers, with 10 ateliers reserved for international artists, The
exhibition space will grow considerably and a new gallery tower with 400 m2
will be added.

One of the first shows, after re-opening the arts center in 2001 is going to
be Up North.

The Tacheles Website

...is currently being redesigned and much of the content is not up to date.
most of it is not available in English. that is why we chose to do a little
interim site for up north. The situation is hopefully going to change soon.

http://www.tacheles.de
http://www.triphase.org/upnorth

joachim | co-curator up north