George(s) Lessard on Tue, 6 Feb 2001 20:09:17 -0500

Syndicate: Buy MY Art?

**********

BUY ME!

I enjoyed reading Matthew Mirapaul's article about artists who use online
auction site eBay as a creative medium, in The New York Times.

Several artists are examining the question of what, exactly, is an art
object by selling everything they own to online buyers, says Mirapaul.
One such artist, Trong Nguyen, hopes to unload 1,001 of his personal
possessions via eBay over the course of 2001.  "Like many young artists,
Mr. Nguyen, who is 29, is using the Internet as a new medium for exploring
familiar aesthetic issues," Mirapaul writes.  "Does an artist's touch turn
an everyday object into an art object?  How does an artwork receive its
value?  How does [sic] one's possessions define an identity?"

Other artists doing the same kind of work (or making a few quick bucks,
depending on your perspective) include Michael Mandiberg, whose books, CDs
and checkbook are available at Mandiberg.com, and John Freyer, whose
AllMyLifeForSale.com site offers everything from his gas bill to gum.

My favorite detail:  Freyer sold his birthday party in New York to a
stranger who now hangs out with the artist's friends.  "We all agree it's
the best $1.25 I ever spent," says the lucky bidder.

Want to participate in Trong Nguyen's art project?  Buy his roll of
undeveloped film.

Mirapaul:
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/05/arts/05ARTS.html

Mandiberg.com:
http://www.mandiberg.com/

AllMyLifeForSale.com:
http://www.allmylifeforsale.com

gas bill:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=552554061

gum:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=553153934

roll of undeveloped film:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=554130966

**********
*** Via / From / Thanks to the following :
Spike Report, posted Tuesdays and Fridays in the Online Journalism Review
(OJR).

http://www.spikereport.com/

OJR is a publication of the
Annenberg School for Communication at the
University of Southern California.

http://www.ojr.org/

:-) Message ends, Signature begins (-:
George Lessard, living @ 61.10N 94.05W
Member, ICANN @Large Member # 375469
Comments should be sent to mediamentor_no_spam_@cyberdude.com
MSN Messanger address lessard99_no_spam_@hotmail.com
[Remove _no_spam_ from addresses to e-mail]
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly
find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot...
"If you think you are too small to make a difference,
try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito..." African Proverb
ICQ # 8501081
Moderator Creative-Radio http://www.eGroups.com/list/creative-radio
MediaMentor Weblog http://www.eGroups.com/list/mediamentor
Homepages http://media002.tripod.com
Caveat Lector, Disclaimers & (c) info http://members.tripod.com/~media002/disclaimer.htm

Semi-random signature quotes follow:
First they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out,
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists, and I did not speak out,
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I did not speak out, because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
Pastor Niemoller