Arthur Bueno on Wed, 21 Jun 2000 15:13:42 +0200

Syndicate: Fw: CHEMICAL GARDEN

From: "enquiries" <enquiries@active-ingredient.co.uk>
Subject: CHEMICAL GARDEN
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:09:44 +0100

CHEMICAL GARDEN
"When we woke up on the 1st of January, it was raining.

Our garden, which for years had been a scalded, barren vista was soaked to
the point of saturation, and we stood out in it catching the slow, swollen
raindrops on our tongues like pennies from heaven.

Then we noticed the garden had begun to grow.  Slowly, but visibly, grass
was growing around our feet, a strange, brightly coloured grass of reds,
yellows, blues and greens.  We all looked at each other in disbelief.

An old man passed by and told us that he had heard of these gardens before,
that they had appeared on the first day of the last century, too (and the
century before that, for all he knew).

He told us that all but one of the gardens had died, as they needed constant
tending, but if the gardens were kept properly they would bring a lifetime
of happiness to the owner.

Just then, the TV, which had been dumped in the garden long before we moved
there, flickered to life.  On the screen, a small child was explaining her
dreams for the future now that the war was over and she had been reunited
with her family.

As we stood there in the rain on our multicoloured lawn,  we made a promise
to each other that we would tend our chemical garden forever."

Active Ingredient are developing an exciting new installation combining  the
internet, lego robots and chemistry set crystals. As part of the project, we
inviting people to contribute messages, thoughts, ideas which will be used
in the installation.

What promises did you make at the end of the last century?

Did you wish for the bombs to stop, or just promise to never drink again?

As the new century begins to take shape, are you optimistic for the future,
or are you keeping one eye on the shelters?

Please send us your responses by text, image, url or video.

please e-mail to chemicalgarden@active-ingredient.co.uk

Active Ingredient
www.active-ingredient.co.uk
AI Design