Zarana Papic on Fri, 03 Mar 2000 01:22:48 +0100

Syndicate: Support: Women on the Road for Afghanistan]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Women on the Road for Afghanistan
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 15:33:06 +0100
From: Elinore SCHAFFER <ellies@club-internet.fr>
To: Zarana Papic <zpapic@f.bg.ac.yu>

Please join us and/or support us by adding the name of your organization
to our list.
Thank you.
--------
Below you have 1) Our text  2) the Provisional Program
3) Practical Information

		WOMEN ON THE ROAD FOR AFGHANISTAN
Afghanistan is a country where the brutal and unjust situation of women
is worse than we can imagine. Under the rule of the Taliban, Afghanistan
is a devastating symbol of the violations of women¹s rights everywhere.

>From April 11 to 18, a movement of women from the five continents,
activists and personalities in their own countries, are going to
Tadzhikistan ­ to Dushanbe ­ and then, for those who so choose, moving
on to Afghanistan, to the non-Taliban controled region. These women will
meet others from the region in a general assembly organized in
Tadzhikistan. By speaking out and showing their solidarity with the
Afghans, they are, of course, speaking for all women.

In solidarity with Afghan women, and against cruel and discriminatory
treatment, an assembly will take place in Tadzhikistan on April 12-13,
and a charter will be drafted by Afghan women¹s associations. We - Women
On The Road For Afghanistan - will be present to lend our total support
to this action. This charter is intended as a basic declaration of
rights of Afghan women for all and any governments in power.

While this trip will only take a few days, we want it to attract as much
media attention as possible.  We would like to have you among us.

            Be part of this exceptional political action.
                      Stop Talibanization!
           You can make it effective and dynamic.  Join us!

Initiated by Shoukria Haïdar, President of NEGAR (Defense of Afghan
Women's Rights).

Supported to date by the Iranian Women's League, European Union of
Moslem Women, Féderation Démocratique Internationale des Femmes,
International Women's Rights, MOHA (Association of Iranian
Women in France), Rassemblement de Femmes Démocrates Algeriennes,
Women's Education Partnership (Hull, England), British Columbia
Teachers' Federation

Contact: Ellie Schaffer, email: ellies@club-internet.fr; Patricia
Lalonde, (33-1) 43 37 21 76 or email: brice.lalonde@wanadoo.fr ; Connie
Borde, (33-1) 45 49 14 70, email : cborde@compuserve.com
**************

PROVISIONAL PROGRAM: 11-14 April 2000

Wednesday,April 12, 2000
4:45 A.M. (depending on which airline you take)
 	  Arrive in Duchanbé
	  Transfer to Hotel Tadjikistan

12 Noon   Buffet breakfast/lunch at the hotel
    	  Meet Afghan women

4:00 p.m. Opening session of the Assembly
    	  Welcoming speech by Shoukria Haidar
 	  Afghan associations introduce themselves

6:00 p.m. Presentation and discussion of the Charter
  	  drafted by Afghan women¹s groups.

8:00 p.m. Dinner

Thursday, April 13, 2000
 9:00 a.m. Breakfast

10:00 a.m. Statements from personalities and representatives of the
           groups participating in Women on the Road for Afghanistan

 1:00 p.m. Lunch

 3:00 p.m. Press conference:
   	 ¤ Reading of the Charter by Shoukria Haidar
         ¤ Reading of the international solidarity text by Women on
	   the Road for Afghanistan and condemnation of brutal and
unjust treatment inflicted on women world-wide
	 ¤ Questions from the press

 8:00 p.m. Dinner

Friday, April 14, 2000
	   Departure from Duchanbé (2 options):
	 ¤ Return to point of origin
	 ¤ on to the unoccupied zone of Afghanistan

Tuesday, April 18, 2000
 	   Return to point of origin for those who have travelled
	   to Afghanistan
**********

WOMEN ON THE ROAD FOR AFGHANISTAN
Practical Information

Dates: April 11-14   OR   April 11-18

Airline Routes:
1) Munich-Duchanbe-Munich, Tadjik Airlines, weekly on Tuesdays
2) Via Moscow, Aeroflot (April 14 return)
3) Via Teheran, Iran Air; (Mashhad-Duchanbe) Tadjik Airlines

Air Fare from Munich: (round trip)
4 228 French Francs (group rate); 1 262 DM (1 German mark = 3,35 FF)
$US 625 (1 $US = 6,78 FF); $Ca 850 (1$Ca = 4,97 FF)

Departure: Tuesday, April 11           Return: Tuesday, April 18
Dep. Munich   18:14 (6:14 p.m.)        Dep. Duchanbe  10:00 a.m.
Arr. Duchanbe  4:45 a.m.               Arr. Munich     14:45 (2:45 p.m.)

Visa(s):
The Russian Embassy issues visas for Tadjikistan.
Afghan visas are issued by the Afghanistan Embassy.
If you take an alternate route (Moscow, Teheran), you must change
airports and will need a visa.

Hotel Tadjikistan:
250FF/day (double room for 3 nights)
The meetings and press conference will be held at the hotel.

Meals:
Inexpensive

Panshir: April 14-17 (4 days)
The trip and lodging will be offered by the local authorities and
residents of the region.
(Night of April 17 at Hotel Tadjikistan)