Arthur Bueno on Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:42:57 +0100

Syndicate: Fw: mailradek no.26

From: "Alisa Nikoulina" <aln@glasnet.ru>
Subject: mailradek no.26
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 02:43:22 +0300

"mailradek" project is a non-regular posting of subjective commentaries on
political themes. "mailradek" texts have no copyright and can be reprinted,
translated, distributed without a special authors' permission. All previous
issues (in English and Russian) can be found at the new "mailradek" site
   WWW.MAILRADEK.REMA.RU.

There are also many info about the latest events in radical culture and the
regularly changing large texts on actual themes.
 Everybody who doesn't receive it can send a "subscribe english mailradek"
or "subscribe russian mailradek" (a more often and full version) e-mail to
kireev2000@mail.ru to be included into the mailing list.
 Address: Russia 117333 Moscow, Vavilova 48-237, tel.: (095) 137 71 31,
e-mail: kireev2000@mail.ru.

The Project against political repression is a new organization which is
actively functioning in Moscow. Its activities include looking for lawyers
for the key political cases (the lawyers hired by the Project commitee are
now leading the cases of I.Romanov, A.Biriukov, J.Kotchkarev, "the
Klimenko-Kireev" case, etc.), legal consulting, distribution of information
on political repression and other kinds of legal support. The project is
financed by voluntary donations. There is a constant lack of money, the
current budget is about two hundred dollars (while the service of one lawyer
costs about six hundred). Your support is badly needed. The project bank
account is:
Correspondent bank of Savings bank of the Russian Federation:
Bank of New York, New York, NY, USA
SWIFT: IRVT US 3N
Account of Savings bank of the Russian Federation with correspondent bank:
890-0057-610
Correspondent bank of Beneficiary bank:
Savings bank of the Russian Federation. Moscow, Russia
SWIFT: SABR RU MM
Beneficiary bank:
Savings bank of Russian Federation, Moscow Bank. Moscow, Russia
SWIFT: SABR RU MM100
Branch
Cheryomushkinskoye branch 7980/0483. Moscow, Russia
Beneficiary customer (name, surname, address)
Model Dmitrii Alexandrovich
Izumrudnaya 11-44
Beneficiary account
42301. 840. 2. 3828. 0100191
Project against political repressions:
http://www.ecoline.ru/POPR
e-mail: popr@cityline.ru, popr@mail.ru.
Post address: 121471 Moscow Gvardeiskaya 1-104, for Nadezhda Raks

The Against All Parties book is sold in Moscow bookstores "Gilea" and "Ad
Marginem", which was published shortly before the parliament elections as a
part of the well-known campaign under the same name. It consists of several
articles and some verses, followed with the illustrations and a summary in
english. You can order it by writing by e-mail (kireev2000@mail.ru) or by
phone 095/1377131, the price is 20 roubles + 10 roubles for delivery (if
required).

(here comes a text about an anti-war action done within the frames of an
"Against all parties" campaign at December, 18)

INFO: An action took place on the 17th of December in front of the MSU
Journalistics Department. It was dedicated to the Against All Parties
campaign and at the same time to the beginning campaign of the boycott
against the TV information. One of the action participants read aloud the
text of a leaflet, which is included in this ussue, and another broke three
TV sets with a crowbar. A crowd of students and some guests observed the
event.
The presentation of the Against All Parties compilation, the campaign site
and Pavel Shevchenko's  took place on the 17th of December at the
Contemporary Art Institute.
An action called Red On Red took place at 1:30 PM on the 18th of december.
It was dedicated to the Parliamentary elections and the Chechen war. Three
activists threw bottles full of red paint at the central entrance of the
State Duma. One of them, and also the photographer, were arrested and are
still (18 december, 8 pm) kept in Police department 108.

Text #87
Yesterday we conducted our first action dedicated to the campaign of boycott
against TV information. My friend brought three old TV sets, and we arranged
them in a pyramid behind the monument to Lomonosov in Mokhovaya street. At
1:30 PM I entered the hall of the MSU Journalistics department and announced
the beginning of the action. The students, the soon-to-be journalists of our
radio and TV, crowded the yard. Then I read aloud the leaflet, and my friend
broke the TV-sets with a crowbar. The guards hardly payed any attention to
us. On the same day in the evening there was a presentation of the Against
All Parties compilation. It was published in limited number of copies and in
the "samizdat" way - low quality printing, inaccurate layout etc. I can't
say that the evening was a successful one - in the very beginning the
electricity was cut off, and the Institute director seemed to be annoyed
with radical slogans. The place was lit with spotlights, the music of Rage
Against The Machine, The Birthday Party couldn't be played. In the darkness
the excited visitors witnessed an indoors meeting dedicated to the subject
of Against All Parties and the boycott of TV information. We used a
megaphone, it sounds much better than a club with a microphone. A
cine-projector, which was extremely hard to switch on, played a Zaibi movie,
then Pasha Shevchenko sang or read aloud the rap verses from his first CD
("This is our business, this is our fate"). I couldn't help thinking about
the today's action, it turned out to be the most dangerous and grand action
of the present days. First we thought of marching on the Kremlin along one
of the central streets (Iliinka or Bolshaya Nikitskaya), during which the
participants would throw around packets or bottles full of red paint
symbolizing blood. Then it became obvious that it is impossible to gather
such a large company of activists, and we decided to refashion the plan.
Eventually we thought of throwing packets or bottles with red paint around
the central locations of the city, and we wanted to do it in the Red Square.
Finally we made up our minds to throw bottles with red paint at the central
entrance of the State Duma.
In the morning we were sitting in the kitchen filling empty bottles with
paint. Yesterday we expected at least six participants. Two of them later
refused, and we would have to meet another half an hour before the action.
We, the participants, were three, and there also were some friends in the
apartment. At 1.00 PM we sent the girls to Manezh square to meet the
journalists, and stayed for some more time to finish filling the bottles
with paint. Some days before we had faxed several media companies and news
agencies. One feels uneasy when inviting notorious enemies to an action. The
fact that the journalists are enemies became evident in June, when we had
conducted an action inside the Duma (Sex Money Power) and on the same day
all the channels reported a scandal by Zhirinovsky, but not a single word
about the action. We had been taken to Police Department 108 (near the
Pushking square, a few steps away from the Khudozhestvenny Zhurnal editorial
office) at that time, and we expected being taken to the same department.
The media were only necessary until the mid-90s, when they together with the
society used to keep, or at least to pretend to keep, some concepts of
"freedom of the word" etc., when they didn't belong to any media moguls. At
that time there was public opinion of some kind, and the media could be
useful at expressing it. Now they do supply the public with some falsified
information, but it happens very seldom. So it's not television that incites
disgust in us and against which we start a boycott, but the media in
general.
Of all the money sent by Igor Zacharov-Ross for the publishing of the book
there were some two hundred roubles left, and we took a taxi to get to the
action site. A year ago, when we conducted "The Barricade", I used to get a
lot of money and my friends mocked at my deeds ("a revolutionary takes a
taxi to conduct an action"). "The Barricade" was a very important event for
me, for it had changed my point of view towards the possibility of political
resistance - I had found out that it was possible to do real things and to
affect the political situation yourself.
There wasnt't anybody at the fountain at the Bolshoi theatre square. Another
participant and his friend were lost, because we all had mistaken the
meeting site. It was 13:12, the action had been scheduled for 13:30. I
thought about smoking a cigarette, but never did. I told everybody that it
was necessary to run away as quickly as possible, the cops were not the ones
to play noble and heroic games. If we had to shoot them in the back, we
would certainly do so. The photographer who had come to the action, said
that he would take his position at the other side of street, to make taking
photos easier. After some time we approached the Duma entrance. It was
13:30, and I thought I should monotonously repeat in my mind the words i had
to shout, because othetwise I would start thinking of posponing or
cancelling the action etc. Panic expectations are always exaggerated. I used
to refuse the idea of using drugs before an action, but at that moment I
would gladly smoke some grass.
We were walking towards the entrance, and one of us said: "The cops are at
this side, we should run in the other direction". We approached the
entrance, then there was a small hesitation. I was to throw first, and was
aiming where to throw. For some reason I didn't want to break the glass
doors. Someone had thrown the bottle before i did, and someone had dropped
the bottle and it broke. I remember what fantastic sensation it was to grab
a heavy bottle and throw it against the grey granite wall. I remember
shouting out loud "War to the Chechen war!" and "Against all parties". I had
another bottle, and I apparently threw it against the glass doors. Then I
saw another participant running in the direction of Tverskaya street and
then I looked back. I saw a young cop striking down to the ground another
member of the group, who was covering his head with hands. I completely
forgot about distributing leaflets, and was really surprised why the cops
had not taken me. I went in the direction of the cop, who was looking at me
without moving, probably he was thinking that the one he had already
arrested could run away. Instead of that he began speaking on his
walkie-talkie. I walked some steps in the direction of the metro station,
saw an oppurtunity to run away and did so.
Then I met the girls at the site of meeting. We approached the place where
the photographer had been, and saw him surrounded by cops, and there also
was a man in civilian clothes. On the opposite side of the street there was
another car, and red spots of paint could be clearly seen on the Duma walls.
Now it's 8PM, we went to the police department to find out something about
our arrested friends. One of them was in a cell and looked very gloomy, the
other was being investigated. I hope they're about to be released, maybe
they'll be fined (they're not going to pay, anyway). They're certainly not
going to spend the night in a cell. We were told to fetch boots for them. We
found out that their own boots were paint-stained and thus were supposed to
be material evidence. We took off our boots and handed them to our friends.
Fortunately, we had a car waiting.
Why we did it? I can only say a few words about my motivation. First, i'm
hurt and confused when i cannot fight back a blow. I feel offended whenever
a cop inspects my identification papers or when I'm brainwashed on TV. By
conducting a ferocious and insulting action, I fight back the blow that the
state has dealt me, and i gain the right to speak to cops in a
straightforward way and to challenge the bearers of power, for i knew i
violated their laws and i knew i would draw their wrath. Today i
incidentally managed to run away, but next time i'll be more self-confident.
Radical actions used to attract the attention of the media. Now the task is
different: we don't care about the media, we should contact people directly
and make a step towards real terrorism. An action shouldn't be a work of
art, it should contain threat in itself.
But another thing is much more important: only we three know what pleasure
it is to pick up a heavy bottle, like a partisan blowing up a tank, and to
smash it against the wall of a great, dull-looking building and to see it
burst and spill red paint around.

INFO: The jury session for the case of Ilia Romanov, the veteran anarchist
and the publisher of the Grass and Freedom magazine,  is to take place on
the 22th of February. On the 3 of february lawyer Efimov A.V. (he is the
defends the case of Ilya Romanov, you can find information about him on the
site www.ecoline.ru/POPR) received an offer from Afonina, a judge from
Gagarin courthouse, who suggested that he stopped supporting Ilya's case in
court. The lawyer rejected many threats and provocative proposals, the
campaign of protest against political repressions gains power. Signatures of
the people who support Ilya's case have been collected and sent to
appropriate offices, several pickets and meetings in protest against
political repressions is scheduled in many Russian towns for the 22nd of
February - the day when Ilya Romanov's case is to be brought before the
court. We ask all those who are not indifferent towards the subject of
lawless actions of the secret police to join our efforts by organizing
pickets on that day, sending applications letters of protest to the General
Court of Moscow. You can find application samples in the "Declarations,
announcements, contacts" section of the same site (www.ecoline.ru/POPR).
They can be also found in the regular newsletter of the Against Political
Repressions Project.
As it became known on the 14th of January, 2000, I.E.Romanov's type of
treatment was for no known reason, and instead of the Psychiatrical council
conclusion, changed from dispensary (which meant his release in a short
period of time) to "general type hospital", where he can be  kept for
unlimited time and any psychoactive substances can be used upon him. Judging
from all these facts, it is possible to say that totalitarianism is still
present in our country, just as years before. It is obvious that there was
certain pressure upon the administration of the Serbsky psychiatrical
hospital from the FSB (otherwise it is impossible to explain why the type of
treatment in the case papers was changed on the 27th of December, three days
after the Commission had actually signed the release conclusion). The
Project against political repression adresses an appeal to every public
organisation and private persons to protest against judicial and medical
tyranny, against the lawlessness of the secret police's actions by sending
letters to the following address: 117049, Moscow, Donskaya str. 11, the
Gagarin intermunicipal public courthouse.
Comrades! Friends! Every stage of court instance, which is to seal the fate
of a political activist Ilya Romanov, requires money for paying the lawyers.
Besides, as a result of his year-and-a-half staying in a terrible cell of
the Butyrskaya jailhouse, his state of healf is now awful, and Ilya needs
intensive supply of food and medicaments. We appeal to all those who are
concerned about the fate of a political prisoner, hoping that they send some
money (a sum of $500 is urgently needed) to a representative of the
Political Prisoners Support Project commitee, or transfer the money to the
bank account of the PPSP, which number can be found in this mailradek issue.
The picket supporting Ilya Romanov in Moscow is going to happen at the
following address: metro station Oktyabrskaya (circular line), Donskaya str
11, building 1, and is scheduled for 11:00-13:00 on the 22th of February
2000. The hearing of the case are scheduled for 13:00.
The process of the 22nd of February is expected to be open, everybody,
including journalists, can come and see it with their own eyes. The address
is: Donskaya str. 11, building #1. (station Oktyabrskaya). The exact time is
not yet known, but the support picket is scheduled for the period from 11:00
to 13:00, in front of the court building.

The "Klimenko-Kireev case" dedicated to anti-war and anti-parliamentary
action at the Duma building, which took place on the 18th of December 1999,
is soon expected to be taken to the court. The investigation and
examination, which involved rude violation of law,  was conducted by
inspector Vladimir Vassilev. The latter beat Oleg Kireev twice during the
investigation. Along with the criminal case of "vandalism" (that's how the
political action of throwing bottles full of red paint against the Duma
walls is defined), Oleg Kireev's legal complaint is expected to be
considered in the court, and this can result in a criminal case against
Vassilev himself. The Project commitee can also arrange an appointment with
a lawyer willing to lend his support to Pavel Klimenko and adresses an
appeal to every public organization and private person to issue letters of
protest against the violent actions of the MVD (Ministry of Internal
Affairs) against Pavel Klimenko and Oleg Kireev.

On the 19th of January political prisoner Alexander Biriukov was transported
to the Serbsky Institute of Criminal Psychiatry for the purpose of
conducting psychiatric examination. After many provocative actions from the
Moscow FSB, Biriukov's lawyer lost access to him, though, according to
Russian criminal code, the lawyer possesses unlimited access to his client.
Judging from the growing number of unlawful actions of the secret police, we
can conclude that the reason is the dictature of acting president Vladimir
Putin, and also the recent changes in the governement.

Gennady Nepshkikuyev, who has been actively collaborating with the court
during the session of the Krasnodar case, is transported to Moscow for
further investigation. The Krasnodar case is only beginning.

A book by Alexei Tsvetkov, another anarchist movement veteran (see mailradek
#36), titled "Anarchy non-stop", was published in December. According to
reports, the book was the reason for the feud between Tsvetkov and Alexander
Dugin, who had turned from a reactionary fascist philosopher to a counsellor
for Shoigu and Seleznev. Tsvetkov himself proclaims that there is now
nothing between him and the right activists, and he fully supports the case
of the leftists. To celebrate this transformation, he plans to establish a
site called "Anarhits" in collaboration with "Gilea" publishing house -
www.anarhits.russ.ru.

Sanctioned antimilitary meetings are held at Pushking square. These are
organized by anarcho-egological activists. During these meetings
antimilitarist and anarchist literature is distributed, signatures in
support for political prisoners are collected. Unfortunately, antimilitarist
activities are facing inner intrigues and confusion among the older
generation of activists.

Dimitry Neverovsky has been sentenced for two years of imprisonment in
Kaluga for rejecting military service because of his antimilitarist beliefs.
The court session involved many violations of the law and media
falsifications in the media. The Youth for Human Rights Defence movement
conducted a human rights support seminar and action on the 6th of February.
The action had a certain mocking bias - some human rights activists looked
really clownish.

In January 2000 there was a court session in the Moscow central court, at
which the legal complaint against the verdict for Yakov Kotchkarev was
examined (you can find the details of this case on our site). In the
beginning of the hearing the members of the court had rejected to examine
the complaint, referring to various bureaucratic issues. When the lawyer had
insisted at last, it took the court five minutes to examine the complaint,
and the verdict was left as it was. Kotchkarev's wife failed to see her
husband.

On the 15th february 2000 during the interrogation of Andrey Sokolov, a
former prisoner (see the "Program text" session of our site), as a witness
the Moscow FSB inspectors Andreyev, Lisitsin and Jmiatchkin did not let him
write down his testimonial statements himself, which ability he possesses
according to Russian criminal law. They also tore his wife's health
certificate, and also his applications, which he handed in in order to get
back his belongings  illegally confiscated during the search. The officers
said that after Putin's (who is a former officer of the FSB) election as the
head of the state all the so-called "leftists" would be put in prison for no
sufficient reason.

A new series of investigations on the NRA case was conducted on 6-15 of
February, led by inspector Andreev (of course, involving many violations of
the law) - the case of the explosions in the FSB reception room, which
happened on the 4th of april 1999, the explosion of Nikolai II monument in
Podolsk, the explosions in draft offices etc. An investigation of Nadezhda
Raks, which lasted for 6 hours, happened on the 30th of January, then
followed investigations of Andrey Sokolov and his wife Tatiana Nekhorosheva.

SPECIAL READING RECOMMENDATIONS: "The Gorgulov variant", a book by Sergei
Kudriavtsev, was published at Gilea publishing house. It is a fine newspaper
chronique of the court session of 1932, dedicated to the case of the
assassination of Paul Doumer, the president of France by a Russian Gorgulov.
Gorgulov was a mad stand-alone terrorist, the author of extremely absurd
literary texts, illegal physicist, who committed illegal abortions, he was
the creator of the "Russian green fascist party". He explained his actions
by the intentions to provoke a war between Soviet Union and France.
Sergei Kudriavtsev's book about Gorgulov is certainly an exceptional
document. This story is sure to become a source of thought for many
political extremists and those who think about them.

RETRO-INFO, BY A PROJECT AGAINST POLITICAL REPRESSIONS: December, 9, 99. At
2.15 p.m. five young people from 20 to 27 went on the Lenin Mausoleum and
unfolded a slogan with the words "Against Everybody". By such a way they
showed their attitude to the coming elections after having been arrested the
young anarchists were convicted according to the article 166.1 (unsanctioned
picket)/ Four of them were worned, Dmitry Model was fined and payed 200
roubles.

December, 15, 99. Officials of F.S.B. came to the house of one of the
participants of the action on the mausoleum to held the "conversation".

December, 16, 99. A group of radical painters under leadership of Anatoly
Osmolovsky wanted to organize adapted for the stage action devoted to the
coming elections. But at the place of meeting three of them (the
participants of the action 9.12.99) were stopped by the officials of F.S.B.
to held a forced "conversation". Some hours earlier Dmitry Model was stopped
near his house by the man in civilian clothes who called himself an official
from "F.S.B" and asked Dmitry to go to Lubyanka for helding "a
conversation". Dmitry refused.

December, 17, 99. At 1 p.m. in front of the journalist faculty of the Moscow
State University an action was held within the bounds of the company
"Boycott against teleinformation propaganda". Three TV-sets were broken,
leaflets were given to people agitation with a megaphone was held. At 8 p.m.
within bounds of the company "Against all the parties" presentation of the
book "Against All the Parties" took place, the film by zAiBI "To Elections"
was shown and also a group "Tryop" performed.

December, 18, 99. At 1.25 p.m. a group of anarchists threw bottles with red
paint to the entrance of the building of State Duma. They cried "War to the
war in Chechnya! Against all the parties!" One of them was arrested and was
prosecuted for malicious hooliganism and he gave a written undertaking not
to leave a place. He was ordered to come to the militia station on December,
20, 99.

At night from 18 or 19 December 1999 four participant of the company
"Against all the parties" were bitten cruelly by the operation official of
F.S.B. who were serving the place were D. Model lives in the yard of the
house in Vavilova street.

December, 19, 99. As well as during the previous days the activists were
under outward observation. One of the officials of F.S.O. told D. Model that
observetion will be stopped when when "the actions will be stopped". After
that telephone in the flat where D. Model rents a room was switched off for
three days without any explanation.

December, 20, 99. D. Model went to F.S.B. where he was explained that he was
the organizer of "the criminal assosiation of the Movement of Ultraradical
Anarcho Students of Local love" and that "the photorobot that concerns three
explosions 10.12.99 in largest Moscow department stors rather like him".
After that hints of his links with the "case of NRA" followed.

Since December 1999 advocates were forbidden to come to political prisoners
of "the case of R.W.C.". Investigating service of the prison "Lefortovo"
motivates that refusal to let advocates come into their clients by
invalidity of the permits of Moscow State Court and said that it's nessesary
to get those permits in the Office of Public Prosecutor. The Office of
Public Procecutor of Moscow refuses to give that permit saying that the
cases of political prisoners were sent to F.S.B. for aditional
investigation. Investigators of F.S.B. assert that they had not received the
cases from the Office of Public Prosecutor. Nevertheless investigations
probably go on. Advocates of political prisoners sent plaintiffs to certain
borders.
In December, 28 Ilya Romanov was moved to the prison Butyrka again. The same
diagnosis was left: he is of diminished responsibility, he is socially not
dangerous, he is liable to be out-patient. However Romanov is still being
kept in prison inspite of repeated recomendation of doctors-expers to
discharge him.

In the end of December 1999 Yakov Kochkaryov was moved from transit prison
"Krasnaya Presnya" where he was waiting for the results of the appeal into
the prison of F.S.B. "Lefortovo". Because of that the worst fearts were
confirmed: investigators of F.S.B. exert pressure upon Kochkaryov for
getting necessary depositions for them according to the case N772 ("the case
of NRA" - explosions near the room of F.S.B.; A.Birukov is prosecuted
reception for this case). The investigator of F.S.B. Andreyev asked
Kochkaryov's wife not to tell Kochkaryov's advocate about it because he
"didn't want that this fact would become known to some criminal elements
whom Kochkaryov was being asced about".
As the exchange for keeping silence the investigator promised Yakov's wife
to help her to see her husbund. Besides that Andreyev threatened to make a
pressure on the judge who is considering the appeal to tougen punishment of
Yakov. Kochkaryov's wife demanded to give her a meeting with her husbund in
a usual legal way an immediately informed the advocate about the fact of the
moving and about threats.

On the eve of the New Year officials of F.S.B. visited an employee of the
TV-programm "Under 16 and older" Marina Potapova were threatened in an open
from to make pressure on Tvcompany to close that programme. The reasons of
such deads were called some subject that were shown on TV; the interview
with L.Romanova (Schiptsova) where she spoke about the necessity of
defending political prisoners and the interview with Andrey Sokolov. These
two young people were called "the criminals against who the investigation is
being carried on and the Tvprogramme "Under 16 and older" propagandizes them
to the youth".

January, 6, 2000 political prisoners Igor Gubkin, Vladimir Radchenko and
Vladimir Belashev against whom prosecution according to "the case of R.W.C"
is being carried on were discharged having given a written undertalking not
to ecave Moscow.

Valery Sklyar was released on the 12th of January 2000, after giving a
written undertaking not to leave his current place of staying. He has been
the last prisoner of Lefortovo under the RVS case. Information on him is
also included here.

In February 2000 in Belorechensk of Krasnodar area, two days after the
gathering of the Kuban Anarchist Federation members in this town, a series
of searches was conducted in the apartments of two activists of the KAF by
officials from local MVD and FSB. Right after the searches one of the
anarchists - Roman Bersenev - was questioned, and the other (whose name is
not yet knowm) thoroughly interrogated. The questions of the inspectors were
mainly of political nature: views, convictions, the structore of the
anarchist movement of Kuban, the details of the "Krasnodar case" were
discussed again (see the "Program texts" section). The traditional site of
gathering of the anarchists is regularly raided by the police.