Andreas Broeckmann on Tue, 11 Jan 2000 21:34:44 +0200

Syndicate: General INFO: PolarCircuit 3: 2000

Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:25:54 +0000
From: steve bradley <sbradley@umbc.edu>

PolarCircuit 3: 2000
international workshop/residency for media artists and writers in the
midnight sun. url:  http://media.urova.fi/polar2/

Call for participation & list of tentative workshops

Dear Polar Bears,

we are clearing the way for the third Polar Circuit Residency scheduled
between June 15 to July 31st, 2000.  The first two weeks of PC3 will be
located at University of Lapland, Media Arts,  Rovaniemi on the polar
circle, from June 15 to June 31st.  PC3 will then move further south
slightly warmer to Tornio from July 1 to July 31st.   Information on
travel, housing and other pertinent data will be uploaded to the web, url
above.  Thanks to Amos Taylor who is working on getting the web site set up
for general information related to travel, housing, workshop leaders and
participants.  As soon as I get information regarding housing I will send
this out.

PHILOSOPHY:

The overall idea and philosophy of Polar Circuit is that each participant
will work on their projects, network and/or develop artistic relationships.
Potentially there will be over 15 countries represented by the artists
present.  PolarCircuit is an open and free exchange of ideas, and a chance
to carry on your own work is at the core of the residency. The workshops
last 4-6 hours daily, but sunshine lasts for 24 hours. Parts of the lab
will be made available for the whole night. The dorm will have Ethernet
connections. When you apply, please specify the project you are doing, or
at least, the kind of equipment you will need. Some will have common
projects, but it is fully up to everyone to choose what one desires to do--
self directed and motivated.  The only pressure is the pressure you apply.

SITES-FACILITIES:

In Rovaniemi we will have access to the MAC lab, SGI and the mediaspace lab
which includes 3D modeling software and with interactive potential.
Tornio facilities are just as impressive; sound recording, studios
w/pro-tools, PowerMac & G3 labs, AVID non-linear video editing, web space,
up-to-date software, portable equipment such as DAT audio, video, photo,
etc.  Those of you who are interested in video need to be aware that PAL is
the standard and so either you bring your own equipment or have your
projects transferred when you return to the NTSC country.  Media is very
expensive and/or difficult to find in Rovaniemi and Tornio.  It is best
that you bring the media you will be working with rather than trying to
find it in Finland.  This includes audio and video cassette.

PEOPLE:

The following have shown an interest in hosting a workshop.  Other
workshops potentially will be developed and times and descriptions will be
resolved as each presenter communicates with me over the next month.
Melinda Rackman has shown an interest in seeing a workshop developed that
deals with multi-user vrml macintosh based which could be a net event as an
outcome, avatar building, world building etc  If anyone is interested in
developing such a workshop please send Melinda and myself an email message
with your ideas.

Everyone listed here have indicated that they are recruiting potential
participants.  Over the next 72 hours I will be putting together an
application form for each workshop/presenter and participant to fill out to
send to me by the end of January.  Please also consider lectures, art
talks, and or hosting field trips.  If you need letters inviting you to
Finland for travel support please drop me an email ASAP so that I can get
these generated out of Rovaniemi.  As far as I know there is no support for
travel.

WORKSHOPS in progress:

Daniel Jolliffe & Ken Gregory, Canada -- hacking and electronics
Ed Osborn -- electronics/stamp technology/streaming media / web based databases

Christine Stewart -- Avid/afterEffects
Melinda Rackman -- low polygon modeling, avatars, worlds, texture
					mapping, advanced web and
interested in overall workshop organizer for VRML with the working title
"the softspace of  virtual worlds"

Maxim, UK -- TBA
Jeff Taylor, Finland	-- TBA
Amos Taylor, Finland -- TBA

Steve Bradley -- Baltimore, US -- digital cinema/Pro-tools / live audio
/video performance using LiSa and Imag/ine

The following have shown general interest in attending PC3 as well as
acting as point people for their geo space (including the list above).
Nina Czegledy, Canada
Katherine Liberovskaya, Canada
Alejandro Duque, South America
Katarina Zivanovic, ???
Kathy Kennedy, San Francisco, CA
Kostya Mitenev, St.Petersburg, Russia
Robin Petterd, Australia
Tapio Mäkelä, Finland
Adrianne Wortzel, New York City

If I have forgotten someone send me an email and I will update this list
please include geographic location.   Within the next few weeks I will
include a more comprehesive list of participants as I receive their
applications.

Thanks for all your help.  A big thanks to Jeff Taylor and Amos Taylor for
making arrangements in Rovaniemi and Tornio.  This would be impossible
otherwise.

Questions and/or suggestions are always welcome.  Please send me an email
if you would like removed from this list and if your receiving double
messages.

best future
looking forward to the moskito filled skies.

Steve Bradley

_._._._._._._._._._._._

Steve Bradley
Assistant Professor