Mirjam Struppek on Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:33:22 +0200 (CEST)

[rohrpost] FAIR-PLAY Video contest

PLAY - gallery for still and motion pictures / Berlin
presents:

FAIR-PLAY
Video contest

A festival like exhibition series with 19 young
international Video-Artists and Filmmaker from 15
countries. Each artist will have 3 days to especially
present his work. A general screening of the
compilation of all Artists will be shown during the
whole exhibition. A Jury of Professors of Art- and
Film universities, as well as international
professionals, will select the two best works. The
first price is a production of an Artwork in the
context of a solo show next year in the Gallery and an
Art book production. The second price is a production
of an Artwork in the context of a solo show next year.

16. June – 30. August 2003

Opening hours: Mo-Sa, 10am – 8pm

PLAY - gallery for still and motion pictures
hannoversche str. 1  d-10115  berlin
tel +49 (0)30 2345 575-3  fax -4
www.pushthebuttonplay.com

Screening program:

(1)  Jonah Freeman USA)          16. - 18. Juni

(2)  Matt Saunders (USA)         19. - 21. Juni

(3)  Margaret Salmon (GB)        23. - 25. Juni

(4)  Vesna Bukovec (SLO)         26. - 28. Juni

(5)  Cecilia Lundquist (SVE)     30.Juni - 02. Juli

(6)  Jón Saemundur Auòrson (IS)  03. - 05. Juli

(7)  Shahram Entekhabi (IRAN)    07. - 09. Juli

(8)  Deborah Hirsch (BRA)        10. - 12. Juli

(9)  Nuno Cera (PT)              14. - 16. Juli

(10) Johannes Maier (D)          17. - 19. Juli

(11) Nicolàs Serrano (ESP)       21. - 23. Juli

(12) Zhao Liang (CHINA)          24. - 26. Juli

(13) Wu Ershan (CHINA)           28.-30. Juli

(14) Stella So (HK)              31. Juli - 02. August

(15) GUP-py (JP)                 04.- 06. August

(16) Kasahara & Kamoshida (JP)   07.-09. August

(17) Cacciagrilli (ITA)          11.-13. August

(18) Gina Tornatore (AUS)        14.-16. August

(19) Chiara Pirito (ITA)         18.-20. August

screening of the two award winners: 21. – 23. August

a general screening of the compilation of all Artists
will be shown during the exhibition until 23.8.2003

more info about the artists you can find on
www.pushthebuttonplay.com

More about FAIR-PLAY

FAIR-PLAY will be shown as an exhibition series, which
will be hold between the 16th of June and the 23rd of
August in the PLAY gallery in Berlin.

PLAY gallery for still and motion pictures is a
gallery and a showroom for art projects based in
Berlin focusing on the relationship between film,
video and art. The main goal of our gallery is to
fascinate and stimulate visitors with new visual
languages and narratives that represent an aesthetical
and intellectual alternative to the flood of images
transmitted by traditional media and advertising. To
do it, we invite artists, curators and film-makers to
submit proposals aimed specifically at Play space. The
organization of workshops ­­ in co-operation with
universities and academies ­ fosters the definition of
new ways to analyse contemporary art and the way it is
experienced. In this very context, we screen the best
Offs coming from festivals and ask experts to provide
introductions and comments. While working on the
strategy for this new venture, we knew we would have
used a non-traditional approach in showing artists¹
projects. The ideas and works we have been exposed to
had a strong impact on our thoughts, influencing the
way we consider our role and responsibility in the
cultural field of our choice.

When we developed the idea of producing a public
screening of 19 works by young or emerging
international artists dealing with video-art, film and
animation, we asked 8 curators and experts we believe
have a big relevance in these fields to present us
with their choice.

Ellen Pau (HK), Francesco Manacorda (GB), Kathrin
Becker (Germany), Leng Lin (China), Michael Darling
(USA), Michelle Maccarone (USA), Milovan Farronato
(Italy), Ombretta Agró (USA).

Every curator invited different artists to send their
most recent video and film work to the gallery. More
than fifty artists responded. We screened over 170
videos, starting a process that eventually led us to
reconsider our way of evaluating art. We watched all
works from the beginning to the end, enjoying the
diversity and individuality of all projects. Some
documented performative elements while, in others,
artists talked about themselves and their work. All
had different editing styles and narrative structures.
We learned a lot about the impact of sound in general
and about the human voice in particular: singing,
telling stories or shouting. We learned about the
driving force of those emotional moments that can
mirror changes at personal, social and environmental
level. We learned about the transformation of
typography, graphic design and animation in a
different context. We witnessed subjective attitudes
and highly conceptual approaches. Everything we
experienced will be written down and available for
visitors.
The most striking sensation was feeling an incessant
tension between us ­ as viewers ­ and the artists¹
subjective, different visual languages. After
screening so many videos we remembered some while
others vanished from memory. We valued the production
of new, original images rather than the use of found
footage, with the exception of those works where the
use of ready-made footage or image-bank material was
appropriate and conceptually consistent. After two
month of deep research we came across 19 artists who
stand out in our memory and 19 works we found of
outstanding quality.

The selected artists are: Jón Saemundur Auòrson
(Iceland), Vesna Bukovec (Slovenia), Cacciagrilli
(Italy), Nuno Cera (Portugal), Sharam Entekhabi
(Iran), Wu Ershan (China), Jonah Freeman (USA), GUP-py
(Japan), Deborah Hirsch (Brasil), Sayaka Kasahara &
Kenji Kamoshida (Japan), Zhao Liang (China), Cecilia
Lundquist (Sweden), Johannes Maier (Germany), Chiara
Pirito (Italy), Margaret Salmon (UK), Matt Saunders
(USA), Nicolàs Serrano (Spain), Stella So (HK), Gina
Tornatore (Australia).

Our research is of course a very subjective and
personal one, but we believe that undertaking projects
like this we will develop our own learning by seeing
process. Now we can't wait to see the reaction of the
public and to receive feedback on the selected
material.
We wanted to create a festival situation, with a jury
that would teach us ­ through their arguments,
criteria and experience ­ a more objective way of
defining what <excellence> in art is. We believe that
our work in <learning in progress> and we think that
experts can help us to understand why we like
something in more analytical terms. Therefore we
invited 8 experts we believe are exceptionally
experienced in the field of video-art and film. We
wanted a new generation of experts because we believe
in their future and we are sure they will have an
impact on future developments.

We nominated:
Ahu Antmen (Turkey), Angelika Richter (Germany),
Charlotte Mailler (Switzerland), Edgar Schmitz (UK),
Heike Munder (Switzerland), Michael Darling (USA),
Moser & Schwinger (Switzerland), Patrick Huber
(Switzerland).

The jury consists of scientists, curators, academics
and artists. We will have no say during the jury
meeting, but will be there to listen and learn. The
jury will award a first prize and a second prize. The
first prize will be the a solo exhibition in 2004 at
PLAY gallery for still and motion pictures in Berlin
and the publication of a book by Fine Arts Unternehmen
Books. The second prize will be a solo exhibition in
2004 at PLAY gallery for still and motion pictures.

Franco Marinotti and Wolf Guenter Thiel