thomas on 31 May 2001 20:24:10 -0000

Re: [rohrpost] virus?

Eine Suche mit Google hilft meist weiter ...

aus http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html

Grüße,
Thomas

----------

 Symantec AntiVirus Research Center (SARC)
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter

SULFNBK.EXE Warning
Reported on: April 17, 2001
Last Updated on: May 31, 2001 at 12:09:08 PM PDT

The following hoax email has been reported in Brazil. The original email is in Portuguese; it is followed by an English translation.

CAUTIONS:

This particular email message is a hoax. The file that is mentioned in the hoax, however, Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows
utility that is used to restore long file names, and like any .exe file, it can be infected by a virus that targets .exe files.
The virus/worm W32.Magistr.24876@mm can arrive as an attachment named Sulfnbk.exe. The Sulfnbk.exe file used by Windows is located
in the C:\Windows\Command folder. If the file is located in any other folder, or arrives as an attachment to a email message, then
it is possible that the file is infected. In this case, if a scan with the latest virus definitions and with NAV set to scan all
files does not detect the file as being infected, quarantine and submit the file to SARC for analysis by following the instructions
in the document How to submit a file to SARC using Scan and Deliver.
If you have deleted the Sulfnbk.exe file from the C:\Windows\Command folder and want to know how to restore the file, see the
Additional Information section at the end of this document.
Original Portuguese version:

Vocês acreditam que uma amiga da lista enviou um alerta e os procedimentos que deveriam ser tomados para a possível detecção do
maledeto SULFNBK.EXE. e eu fui conferir só por desencargo de consciência. Pois é...O bichinho tava lá, escondidinho até da McAfee e
do Norton, talvez esperando algum gatilho prá começar a trabalhar, né?
Aí vão, moçada, as orientações que eu segui à risca e que me levaram ao tal coisinha ruím:

1 - Iniciar/Localizar Pastas. Digite o nome do "mardito": SULFNBK.EXE
2 - Se for encontrado, abra o Windows Explorer, vá até a pasta onde ele se encontra alojado e delete-o de lá ou do próprio ambiente
do Localizar; - Não click com o botão esquerdo sobre ele e não abra o arquivo nem em caso de incêndio, ok?
3 - Apenas delete o bichinho.
4 - O meu estava em Windows/Command.
5 - O vírus da pessoa que passou o aviso estava em Windows/Config.

Sim, o Norton e nem o McAfee não detectou.
Não sabemos se ele faz algum estrago na máquina, mas acho que ninguém aqui vai querer testar para saber, né?
Gente, sem brincadeiras, já tirei o meu daqui....
E nem imaginava que tivesse hóspedes no PC.
Minha vacina está super-atualizada!!!
Façam o mesmo, ok?

Translated English version:

Do you believe that a friend of mine sent me an alert and the procedure that we have to follow for the possible infection of
SULFNBK.EXE. And I had checked, just to make sure. An then... the file was there, hidden even of McAfee and Norton, maybe waiting
something to start work.
Well, see bellow the procedure that I followed step by step, and I found the file:

1. Start/Find Folders. Type the file name: SULFNBK.EXE
2. If it find, open Windows Explorer, browse into the folder where the file is and delete it. Do not click with left button on the
file and do not open it.
3. Just delete it
4. Mine was on Windows/Command
5. The virus from the person who gave the alert was on Windows/Config

Yes, Norton and McAfee do not detect it.
We do not know if it makes some damage on the machine, but I think that anybody will not want to test it to know, will it?
Folks, this is not fun, I deleted it from my computer.
And my definitions are updated.
Do the same, ok?

A new version of this hoax has additional text stating that the virus will activate on June 1st:

It was brought to my attention yesterday that a virus is in circulation via email. I looked for it and to my surprise I found it on
mine. ..
Please follow the directions and remove it from yours TODAY!!!!!!!

No Virus software can detect it.  It will become active on June 1, 2001.
It might be too late by then. It wipes out all files and folders on
the hard drive. This virus travels thru E-mail and migrates to the
'C:\windows\command' folder.

The bad part is: You need to contact everyone you have sent ANY
E-mail to in the past few months. Many major companies have found this virus on
their computers. Please help your friends !!!!!!!!

DO NOT RELY ON YOUR ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE. McAFEE and NORTON CANNOT
DETECT IT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT BECOME A VIRUS UNTIL JUNE 1ST.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT OPEN THE FILE!!!

Category: Hoax

Please ignore any messages regarding this hoax and do not pass on messages. Passing on messages about the hoax only serves to
further propagate it.

Write-up by: Patrick Martin